Sal any update on kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Dang, no Chinese chef or French chef? Why a set of peripherals but no main weapon?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'm liking what I hear about this series more each time Sal reveals more detail.

I'm all for USA-made knives, but it seems like Golden can hardly keep up with capacity for the knives they're already making. I have no problem using a well-designed, well-made kitchen knife ground and finished in China.
—Daniel Jackson
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I end up using my Victorinox ffg paring knives for peeling, slicing, dicing, cutting, boning etc etc. I bought a dozen of these a few years ago and still using them. I have a few that are really worn out. Quick hit on a good steel and sharp again. I would be proud to put/give them away in exchange for some spydies. Prefer PE over serrated.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:Hardness only is one of the puzzle pieces. The average stainless kitchen knife (cheap) is very low carbon.
The knives I'm thinking of aren't cheap by any means. Henkel and Wusthof are both run in the mid-50s. And their edge holding isn't up to my expectation for an expensive knife. Or a cheap one. ;)

Gordon
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

It would be nice to get some decent Kitchen knives as most of what is out there is garbage for the most part. Even some of the more expensive ones are still garbage, just nicer garbage than the cheaper garbage. LOL
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gaj999 wrote:The knives I'm thinking of aren't cheap by any means. Henkel and Wusthof are both run in the mid-50s. And their edge holding isn't up to my expectation for an expensive knife. Or a cheap one. ;)

Gordon
Oh my bad, I saw the previous poster mention a $3 steel and misread it as one of the knives (hence the cheap).

Still hardness is one factor of edge retention along with steel make-up and edge geometry.

No clue honestly. I haven't hear amazing things about some expensive knives compared to quality cheap ones. Except that they look cool and cost a ton more :) .
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Oh my bad, I saw the previous poster mention a $3 steel and misread it as one of the knives (hence the cheap).

Still hardness is one factor of edge retention along with steel make-up and edge geometry.

No clue honestly. I haven't hear amazing things about some expensive knives compared to quality cheap ones. Except that they look cool and cost a ton more :) .
One has to really spend some serious cash to really get into the really nice stuff, way out of range for the main stream folk though.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Ankerson wrote:One has to really spend some serious cash to really get into the really nice stuff, way out of range for the main stream folk though.

Well, even most professionals will trade ease of maintenance for superior performance at the margins. If you have to chop and slice hours a day, days a week, you're going to have to maintain that edge no matter what.

If you know that knife is going to go on the honing steel at some point, you need to shape your criteria for the blade steel around that fact.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dj moonbat wrote:Well, even most professionals will trade ease of maintenance for superior performance at the margins. If you have to chop and slice hours a day, days a week, you're going to have to maintain that edge no matter what.

If you know that knife is going to go on the honing steel at some point, you need to shape your criteria for the blade steel around that fact.
Big difference between Professional Chefs, Meat Cutters and the home Kitchen.

Those Commercial knives they use are really a lot better quality than most Kitchen knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm hoping is that Spyderco's Chinese maker can produce knives in BD-1 comparable in both overall and behind the edge thickness to the original Kitchen Sharps and that BD-1 can handle that. Those blades are really thin. The K05 Utility Knife, for example, is only 1.2mm at the spine while the K04 Utility and K08 Santoku were 1.6mm at the spine. Plus, they are ground to an almost zero edge grind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:Still hardness is one factor of edge retention along with steel make-up and edge geometry.
I agree. I have a Forschner paring knife with good geometry. It loses it's edge quickly but keeps cutting fairly well because it's so thin.

My Global Chef does have a nice geometry. It's made of Aus-6. And it holds an edge better than anything else in the kitchen, including a MBS-26 spydie, a VG-10 spydie, and an Aus-8 Woodswalker from A.G. Russell. I'm not sure how you do that without running it hard. Besides, like I said, it feels hard when I sharpen it. I think if you run an otherwise nice kitchen knife soft, you essentially end up with a Forschner. It's going to be really hard to beat them one on one, since they're a cheap, high-volume knife.

And to be completely fair, the VG-10 Spydie in the kitchen is the Perrin Street Bowie. It's so thick behind the edge that the second it even starts to dull, you notice it. Another example of what effect geometry has.

I have been using my Super Blue Mule in the kitchen to develop the patina. It does put the Global Chef firmly in it's place. ;)

Gordon
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Looking forward to buying these. I don't mind if they are made in China of 9Cr18Mo since my favorite tomato slicer is a Mule Team 5 made of 9Cr18Mo. :)

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she is also looking forward to Spyderco kitchen knives. She know of Spyderco because of my Spyderco collecting, but she is also a fan since she started using her pink Native. She does want the set to include her most used pattern the Santuko.

We to have several Henckel knives, some 40 plus years old, all good, but not at holding an edge.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

gaj999 wrote:The knives I'm thinking of aren't cheap by any means. Henkel and Wusthof are both run in the mid-50s. And their edge holding isn't up to my expectation for an expensive knife. Or a cheap one. ;)

Gordon
Both brands are kinda sitting on their butt and ride their name, although Henckels does have some real high quality knives. There's the Zwilling cermax 66, which is cladded ZDP at 65~67 HRC, and their Miyabi with cladded VG10.

I have a cermax 9.5" chef and it's **** of a knife, cost a lot less than a ZDP knife from any of the japanese brand too.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I'm very much looking forward to a Spyderco kitchen knife set! While boning out my deer last night I was wishing for a Spyderco boning knife.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

AndiR

Post by AndiR »

Kitchenknifes - It´s really what the User want´s - Easy to sharpen (Henkel, Wüsthoff, Victorinox or just Solinger Steel) but you have to "sharpen" often or keep the sharpness and more difficult to sharpen. Everyone prefers something different.

But as a good Steel compromise: Niolox Steel

I heard good Stuff about it from a well known German Knifemaker and the german Forums. Easy to sharpen as Carbon Steel, getting sharp like ****, stainless and edge retention should also be far better than the usual "Solinger" Kitchen Knife Steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AndiR,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I can see where some nice Spyderco kitchen knives gifted to my wife :D would go a long way in reducing her concern of future knife purchases made by me. And yes, I do much of the cooking in our household. ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Tdog wrote:I can see where some nice Spyderco kitchen knives gifted to my wife :D would go a long way in reducing her concern of future knife purchases made by me. ;)
Yes, that is my strategy exactly... :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Just wanted to bring this one back to the top. Sal any updates?
Para M390, Para CTS-20CP, Delica
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Glad to see this thread brought back to the top. I recently joined the forum due to my sudden addiction to spydies and I am in need of purchasing some new kitchen knives soon. Hope these will be coming out this year so I can have something worthy of going on my new mag blok.

Would absolutely love to see a sprint run of kitchen knives in super blue!!!!