Sal any update on kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thefly01

Sal any update on kitchen knives?

Post by thefly01 »

I would love to know if a steel has been decided, and if there is a possibility of a block set? I'm sure this year is out of the question, but do you see spyderco selling kitchen knives within the first two quarters of the upcoming year? Also could a Homemaker make a reappearance?
Para M390, Para CTS-20CP, Delica
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would like to see a set also. :)

Not sure what the steel would be, but 154CM would make a very nice kitchen knife.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Pretty sure the steel is going to be CTS-BD1.

edit: found quotes from October
sal wrote:We're working on BD-1 for a run of kitchen pieces.

sal
sal wrote:We're still in the process of geting the steel to the country. Once we have that accomplished, then we'll tool up the new handles, then begin production. Knives are already designed.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Thanks for the info. Jabba. BD-1 sounds great! So Sal can we get a cool Spyderco block set?
Para M390, Para CTS-20CP, Delica
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

A nice set with a wooden block with a conspicuous, but tasteful, Spyderco emblem on the side would be beyond cool. I also agree with 154 being a very sweet steel for kitchen knives, , , ,but BD1 will work well too I guess.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Stainless Damascus. :)
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

I haven't found much info on BD1, but what I did find suggests that it's about on par with 440C, is that correct?
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Muad'Dib wrote:I haven't found much info on BD1, but what I did find suggests that it's about on par with 440C, is that correct?
Should be more like AUS8A. (A bit more refined than 440C, not quite to VG10 levels of wear resistance.) So long as the heat treat and edge geometry are up to the usual standard, should be a great kitchen knife (for anyone who doesn't use glass cutting boards, anyway...)
—Daniel Jackson
hickster

Post by hickster »

I'm excited about some serious kitchen knives, but... the BD1 Mule was one of the most expensive mules yet and was lackluster at best. It's performance was reviewed as, well, "good" as compared to other contemporary, generic carbon steels. BORING. Surely, if Spyderco is going to break back into the kitchen cutlery market, they can come up with offerings that offer some sort of outstanding performance or value. S90V, XHP, M390, ELMAX, even H1 with a decent explanation of what to expect from it... Come on Sal, don't set up a new kitchen series to fail from the get-go. A kitchen set has to be decidedly different from the generic stuff I can get from Fred Myers. Better in fact than the current "Global" and "Shun" offerings. THAT is the only way to make an offering into the kitchen market worthy of the Spyderco name.
hickster
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I wish they would make some kitchen knives in good ole vg10.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Freediver wrote:I wish they would make some kitchen knives in good ole vg10.
That would be great for me also. I'm wondering how much demand there will be for Spyderco kitchen knives. I'll buy one, ok maybe two. :D But to keep the cost down maybe use 8Cr13Mov also. A Byrd set of kitchen knives in addition to a set with better steel. In my experience most cutting in my kitchen is softer stuff. I think the hardest use I do is carving a turkey or ham or anything with bones. Even then I'm not sawing through the bone. Also, 8Cr steel is no slouch even though it's edge retention isn't like VG-10 or the others. It's easy to touch-up quickly.

Just a thought.

Here's another thought about the knife block. I don't know much about them but the one we have is wooden and I don't put the knives in there wet. I'd like to see a block that can sit beside the sink so I wash the knife and stick it right in the block wet. When we wash dishes by hand we have a strianer for silverware but I don't put knives in there that I care about the edge. The "drying block" wouldn't need to be the "nice" block if you have a beautiful one, just a drying one for $5.00 or something. You may want to dry carbon steel knives by hand but the stainless would be ok to air dry I think. Like I said, it's a thought from someone who doesn't really know a lot about kitchen knives (good ones) and how to take care of them.

Jack
White&Nerdy

Post by White&Nerdy »

It seems a little late to join this conversation, but here goes.

The idea of a Spyderco kitchen knife (series?) is quite exciting. In addition to Global and Shun (Kershaw) I would consider looking to MAC for comparison purposes. I own three of them and my exerience has been quite good. I tried to find the steel they use to no avail. But what I can say is the steel is good quality, sharpens up nicely (especially with the sharpmaker), and retains the edge well. They are also very good value. Comparable knives can easily sell for twice as much or more.

They do not carry the same prestige as other brands as these knives are stamped, not forged. They are basic, utilitarian knives of good quality, great for hard use. This, by the way, is how I would describe the Spydercos I own, but I would stress the quality a little more.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi W&N,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. It's never too late to join the conversation.

Kershaw's Shun uses VG-10 as the cutting steel. (1.0 C), Mac used AUS-8 (.8 C) last time I checked which was more than 10 years ago. Global's steel, as I understand is AUS-6 (.6 C).

I selected CTS-BD-1 (.9 C) as a good all around steel for a kitchen knife. Given the carbon and chrome as well as the history of the chemistry, it will take and hold a very thin edge and has good corrosion resistance given the higher carbon.

We currently have designs for 5 models: A design similar to the Santoku (K08), A 6.5"Utility" in plain and serrated (K04), a 4.5" "Utility" serrated (K05), and a 2.5" paring knife (K09). We're still discussing the block, design, materials, etc.

We're currently waiting to see if the maker can work with the steel samples.

Hi Jack,

We're working on this project because of the many requests that we've had from previous owners to bring them back. The originally made MBS-26 Seki made models have become cost prohibitive in this current market for the product as designed. We've redesigned the blades and handles, keeping the desired features and trying to improve on the areas less liked.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Freediver wrote:I wish they would make some kitchen knives in good ole vg10.
Hi Freediver,

I'd druther use a USA made steel, given the choice.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I will be waiting for those to come out, going to need a new set of knives. :D
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Awesome. Thanks for the update Sal. I can't wait to see these.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

They're going to be FFG right?
sal

Post by sal »

hickster wrote:I'm excited about some serious kitchen knives, but... the BD1 Mule was one of the most expensive mules yet and was lackluster at best. It's performance was reviewed as, well, "good" as compared to other contemporary, generic carbon steels. BORING. Surely, if Spyderco is going to break back into the kitchen cutlery market, they can come up with offerings that offer some sort of outstanding performance or value. S90V, XHP, M390, ELMAX, even H1 with a decent explanation of what to expect from it... Come on Sal, don't set up a new kitchen series to fail from the get-go. A kitchen set has to be decidedly different from the generic stuff I can get from Fred Myers. Better in fact than the current "Global" and "Shun" offerings. THAT is the only way to make an offering into the kitchen market worthy of the Spyderco name.
hickster
Hi Hickster,

Kitchen knives would be produced to be used daily. These are really not collectable. Creating kitchen knives with very expensive steels would really diminish the market size. CTS-BD1 tested quite well. Slightly less edge retention that VG-10 (Shun), but comparable corrosion resistance and far better than AUS-6 (Global).

sal
sal

Post by sal »

captnvegtble wrote:They're going to be FFG right?
yes and quite thin.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Going for the broader market market is good I think.

Also depending on how they are marketed it could be very broad and increase sales of the other product lines for those who didn't know about them.