Sal any update on kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think sal mentioned at one point they are considering using Carpenter steel. That would mean being made in Golden or Taiwan. It would give a price point better than Japan and not have the stigma of less quality.

I cant wait. There is a large void between the $30 block sets and the $200+ per knife world.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I thought sal said they would be made in China to hit the price point of ~$30-$60.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

captnvegtble wrote:I thought sal said they would be made in China to hit the price point of ~$30-$60.
They did originally but then were talking about using Carpenter. Maybe my recollection is off and anything is subject to change.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Blerv wrote:They did originally but then were talking about using Carpenter. Maybe my recollection is off and anything is subject to change.
Well that would be welcome news. I would prefer a set of Spyderco kitchen knives be made with Carpenter steel in the U.S. or Taiwan.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Blerv wrote:They did originally but then were talking about using Carpenter. Maybe my recollection is off and anything is subject to change.
Yea I remember they were talking about BD1
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

rlw1979777 wrote:I think the idea of sprint run knives for a nice kitchen block could bring a level of intoxication that could bring around a new market. I can think of a few that to me would be awesome additions as the set would progress for the block. This could end up being something that not only would people be proud of their kitchen knives, but also play the lego routine of showing personality.

Think if there were a set of steak knives one year in H1 Steel and had CF with SS bolsters?
Or a Santouku that was released with IronWood Handles and SuperBlue?
Or a Santouku with CF and VG10?
Or even a Chef Knife in Elmax, or CPM154 with Stone handles, like Coral, or Pearl and Abalone?
Anyone be down for a S90v Utility Knife?
What about a triangle sharpening rod that could fit in the block?
The possibilities could be offered over time and allow for some of these more costly steels to be released for those that want something special.

This type of idea could bring a whole new marketshare for Spyderco, and agree it would be hard to implement when it comes to tooling, but a investment of 2 grand over a few years could be an awesome centerpiece for the kitchen that I know I would personally use everyday. As I still use my Santouku everyday eventhough it is showing her age. The block could even have variations. The pick and pull mentality of having lower priced entry level knives to grab, or going more high end on knives could be something that can pull on the hobby of collecting, but also something that can and probably would be used on a daily basis.
I think this is an awesome idea!!! I for one would love the ability to add quality kitchen knives utilizing unique handle materials and exotic steels over time so the pocket book didn't have to take the hit all at once. A program like this would quickly develop a large following if the Para2 and other recent sprints are any indication.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm typing on my phone, so can't search at the same time, but I believe Carpenter's BD1 is being sent to China to make these knives. So if my memory serves me correctly, they will be made in China, but use U.S. steel.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

jabba359 wrote:I'm typing on my phone, so can't search at the same time, but I believe Carpenter's BD1 is being sent to China to make these knives. So if my memory serves me correctly, they will be made in China, but use U.S. steel.
Yes, that is what Sal wrote in this very thread last year.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ah thanks guys! I recall that now but went with the default rule of steel and place of origin.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The BD-1 should be similar in performance to the Chinese 9Cr18Mo used on Mule Team #4, which holds up extremely well in my own kitchen. At Rc 59 it outperforms all our other knives except my $100 Shun. It is at the sweet spot of value and performance in my opinion. Both those steels have 0.9% carbon.
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

What models are being considered? Chef, utility, pairing, etc?

Not looking for ETA or blade steel, as those have been discussed.
sal

Post by sal »

Right now we're working with Chinese makers to teach them to use CTS BD1. Carpenter has laid the foundation for having BD1 inventoried in China for our (& others) knives. Heat treatment is a tad "tricky" and we're not there yet. We've been testing samples as they make them.

At this time we're considering a K04 in plain and serrated (6.5" utility) a KO5 in serrated (4.5" utility), a shape similar to the Santoku (KO8), and a paring knife (KO9).

Interesting thought on the hi-line variations.

sal
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Bill1170 wrote:The BD-1 should be similar in performance to the Chinese 9Cr18Mo used on Mule Team #4, which holds up extremely well in my own kitchen. At Rc 59 it outperforms all our other knives except my $100 Shun. It is at the sweet spot of value and performance in my opinion. Both those steels have 0.9% carbon.
It's the same in our house. The Chinese Mule is my favorite tomato slicer, easy to keep sharp and it has taken on a nice patina too.

BTW, since giving my wife a Pink native and Squeak, she is very interested i Spyderco kitchen knives, "I want a set." is her reaction to Sal's post.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Delica77

Post by Delica77 »

I have a Kai chef's knife made of VG10 and it's the sharpest kitchen knife I've ever used. Good rust resistance too. VG10 would be an excellent choice for Spyderco, though it would be more costly than a Chinese steel. What about H1, if edge retention is good enough? Depends on what market segment is being targeted. Kai is not as expensive as Shun, but still very high in quality.

But there's definitely a market for something different that incorporates a few Spyderco design features like well placed jimping and ergonomic handles.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

sal wrote:Right now we're working with Chinese makers to teach them to use CTS BD1. Carpenter has laid the foundation for having BD1 inventoried in China for our (& others) knives. Heat treatment is a tad "tricky" and we're not there yet. We've been testing samples as they make them.

At this time we're considering a K04 in plain and serrated (6.5" utility) a KO5 in serrated (4.5" utility), a shape similar to the Santoku (KO8), and a paring knife (KO9).

sal
Great news, Sal. I am excited to hear that Chinese makers are willing to use non-domestic steel. I'm sure you guys will be able to figure out the heat treat process in time. So is it safe to assume that you are holding off on a kitchen block set in order to see how well sales will be with several different models?

Oh, are you planning on phasing out 8cr13mov for BD1 on your Chinese-made knives?
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on block designs as well, but as you say, they will be later. We'd like to go to BD1 on all of the models. We, and Carpenter working with a few makers on the steel.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:At this time we're considering a K04 in plain and serrated (6.5" utility) a KO5 in serrated (4.5" utility), a shape similar to the Santoku (KO8), and a paring knife (KO9).

sal
Excellent news, Sal. Glad to hear this project is moving forward. Do wish you'd consider offering the plain edge K05 Utility Knife as well as the serrated, and perhaps give some thought to offering a smaller version of the Santoku.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

don't worry Paul, i bet Sal will send you a modified version of the K05 in plain edge :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

sal wrote:Right now we're working with Chinese makers to teach them to use CTS BD1. Carpenter has laid the foundation for having BD1 inventoried in China for our (& others) knives. Heat treatment is a tad "tricky" and we're not there yet. We've been testing samples as they make them.

sal
Thanks, Sal. Nice offering. Looking forward to these.

Glad to hear about the testing. I trust you all will work out the challenges. I think you have a good steal for reasonably priced kitchen knives.
sal

Post by sal »

The Deacon wrote:Excellent news, Sal. Glad to hear this project is moving forward. Do wish you'd consider offering the plain edge K05 Utility Knife as well as the serrated, and perhaps give some thought to offering a smaller version of the Santoku.
Certainly not impossible on the plain KO5. What size did you have in mind on the Santoku style?

sal