arghh rust!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

arghh rust!

Post by God'sMyJudge »

just took my super blue caly3.5 out of the safe to find some rust spots along spine :o

i know the steel rusts easily, but I haven't used it or really taken it out of the box. maybe the Houston humidity...

any tips on removing the rust??
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Either polish it off, or subject it to a rust remover like phosphoric acid or evapo rust. If they're tiny surface rust specks I'd polish it off before going at it with a chemical rust remover.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

so, sand paper?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NO not sandpaper, that would just scratch up the blade and create pits for moisture to settle in and cause more rust.

Either try some metal polish like jewelry polish or even Brasso, or even CLR on a rag should take it off unless it's major pitting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I would try and polish with Flitz or similar polish before using any "rust remover". Polishes leave a film behind that will help prevent future rust. While my "user" is forming a patina, I polished my "safe queen" and coated her with CorrosionX before placing back in paper wrap and bag/box. I learned the hard way with a really pretty damascus Remington bullet knife that occasional maintenance is required for items "put away". I had oiled the knife well but it still developed surface rust. Was fortunate that I caught it in time before lasting damage was done. A reminder that items stored still require occasional maintenance. I spent a number of hours this past weekend checking out and cleaning/oiling knives and other tools. :D If you have an enclosed space, a good dehumidifying rod or dessicant may help. I have used "Ospho" (phosphoric acid) on some really rough knives and other surfaces. It does "kill or fix the rust" Hopefully you don't have pitting. "users" don't seem to have this problem. Good luck with it.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I would return it to the vendor first.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

dbcad wrote:I would return it to the vendor first.
Why?
bc

Post by bc »

Flitz. Works magic
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Huh?
jossta

Post by jossta »

What?
God'sMyJudge wrote:so, sand paper?

Nope.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I would try Evapo-Rust. It works by chelation so it won't ruin the blade.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

i'll have to look up what that word means.

*edit: Chelation is the formation or presence of two or more separate coordinate bonds between a polydentate (multiple bonded) ligand and a single central atom.[1] Usually these ligands are organic compounds, and are called chelants, chelators, chelating agents, or sequestering agents.

i'll have to look up what that definition means.
jossta

Post by jossta »

lol
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Such a pretty knife, even with the rust.

I am not a rust expert (as you've probably guessed) so I don't know whether or not there is pitting.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Have you tried just wiping it off with an oil/solvent like WD 40? If it's not deep yet it might just come off.

I'm using clear liquid silicone for my user, and Renn wax for the safe queen caly 3.5 and so far so good.

If you do have a paste wax you could remove the corrosion as you are applying the wax and rubbing it in. I've found the Renn wax even cleans up old blades like an old schrade old timer from the 80's that had a very slight patina with no pitting. The blade looked new and the cloth had the crud from the patina on it.

I'd try the non sandpaper type fixes before moving on. It's like seasoning food. You can always add more but once you go too far there's nothing you can do about it ( but go the long way around and refinish it in talking about steel)

Good luck, and don't sweat a little oxidation. We have the technology.....

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It looks like something corrosive was left on the blade. That's a lot of rust from sitting in a safe. Even for a humid environment. Where I am is like a tropical rainforest in the summer. Cleaning the blade before sealing it will work even here in the south.

I'd guess there is slight pitting under that BTW. The top of the blade anyway.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
MCM

Post by MCM »

Try gun oil & some 0000 steel wool.
Lightly rub with the grind marks & see if it comes off.
This post made me check mine!
I am 1/2 mile from the ocean, but wiped it down a few months ago with
Birchwood Casey Sheath.
So far so good.
Love that stuff..........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

☯ Get some Flitz and polish it up.

☯ Clean the blade with soap and HOT water and dry immediately.

☯ Coat the blade with Tuf-Glide and let it sit over night. In the morning wipe off any extra residue.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

The Mastiff wrote: That's a lot of rust from sitting in a safe. Even for a humid environment.
My thoughts exactly... but it has literally never touched anything, and I am the first owner.

CLR didn't remove it, neither did wd40. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can find the chelation stuff and let science do its thing.
angusW

Post by angusW »

God'sMyJudge wrote:i'll have to look up what that word means.

*edit: Chelation is the formation or presence of two or more separate coordinate bonds between a polydentate (multiple bonded) ligand and a single central atom.[1] Usually these ligands are organic compounds, and are called chelants, chelators, chelating agents, or sequestering agents.

i'll have to look up what that definition means.
I try to leard a new word each day. Problem is, I always forget the previous days word :)

I just used Evapo-Rust this weekend on a couple tools I let go to rust and it said "Chelation" on the container. I thought that looked pretty important :) I let the tools sit in the Evapo-Rust overnight and it did a better job than I thought it would do.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies