Elmax blade for my Superleaf?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Elmax blade for my Superleaf?

Post by catamount »

I'm wondering if there is anyone with a Spyderhole license who could make an Elmax blade for my Superleaf? Has anyone had a blade made in a different steel for one of their :spyder: s?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I'd be willing to bet that spyderco wouldn't mind that much having someone make another blade for a knife you bought in the same way they probably don't mind people like tuff-thumbz (I probably butchered that name, sorry) making new handles because you're not stealing their trademark so much as you're just modifying their product.

All that said if you find a knifemaker who is willing to make new blades for existing knives let me know. I have a couple spyders which could really use that treatment too, and most knifemakers won't touch a project like that. Even the re-grinders just aren't interested.
unit

Post by unit »

How much are you willing to spend?

Talk to Sal about doing a production run for you :D

Short of that, I am not sure this post falls within the forum guidelines (I could be wrong).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Reese Weiland might be able to do it. Not a lot of pimpers are too into doing reblades. Reese has been more receptive and repsonsive than most I have talked to. Jesse Jarosz of Jarosz knives might be willing to do it when he opens his order book back up, but not sure. Also don't think he has a spyder hole license, although not sure if it really matters since he's just modifying something already licensed. Other custom makers I know of using it are Brad Southard and John Barker. Brad is obviously licensed to use the Spyder hole, but I don't know if he'll do a reblade and his order book is closed.

Anyway...hope that helps.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I talked with Southard (super nice guy by the way) a while ago and he wasn't interested in doing whole new blades.
jossta

Post by jossta »

That's not surprising. I've heard some pimpers say making a re-blade takes longer than making a whole folder. I think Reese is his best bet, but he's not licensed I don't think.

Super nice is most definitely an accurate description of Brad.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I had called tom krein once to extend the edge on my superhawk and he declined. Also asked if he could make a new blade for it and he wasn't interested. I miss having a job where I could actually afford such luxuries.
jossta

Post by jossta »

It could be a luxury, but it could also be choosing to allocate time towards projects that yield the highest profit margins. I can't think of a lot of knife makers that have a lot of excess time.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I think the ammount of work it would take a custom maker to 100% recreate the blade, to the .001 so everything will work, you could have already paid for a whole custom. It would be REALLY hard to do such a thing I believe.

Why not just comission an entire new knife in elmax? Should be less work, and more people will be willing to do it.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Just curious...what's wrong with the steel it has and what do you find that's so special about elmax?
catamount

Post by catamount »

Slash wrote:Just curious...what's wrong with the steel it has and what do you find that's so special about elmax?
Nothing wrong with VG-10, I'd just like to try Elmax in an FFG :spyder: with excellent ergonomics. It seems to offer a great balance of all the qualities I value in a knife steel.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52430
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
jossta

Post by jossta »

I think if you can find a ZT0551, the knife plus the cost of getting it reground might me less than getting a reblade for the superleaf.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I happen to have a 0551 available, how convenient, but Catamount already knows that. ;)