a decent proposition

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

a decent proposition

Post by casey1 »

I know we have all heard the cries for orange handled jesters with toxic green coated blades and a compression lock with wire clips and other requests that would be popular only to a select group. However, this one makes just a little bit more sense in a few ways.

I love the look of the Lum CF. I really wanna get one and hope it isn't disco'd before i can buy it. However, the one obvious concern people have is there is "no grip," and no choil. While adding a choil would change the design of the knife, i have an idea:

Design a lum just like the one in production, but with a flipper on the blade. This could be designed to look elegant and not harm the aesthetics of the blade, but it would also serve as a guard to the knife when the blade is deployed and in locked position. I think it would make a great addition to the line-up considering there is no flipper currently available. I think it'd be great since the lock already allows it and those who would ordinarily think flippers were useless would still want it for the added security of the guard.

What do you think?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That probably would add some security, but to me, it would probably ruin the smooth, flowing look of the design. I view the Lum Chinese as a light use gentleman's folder, so the lack of a choil is ok when used in that role. Just like the new Des Horn.

What I'd really like to see is Nishijin scales with the same texture as the Taichung twill CF. That would be very interesting. I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed with the look of the Nishijin scales.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If it was an in-house design, Spyderco might consider such a mod. If Bob Lum were alive, and approved, Spyderco might consider such a mod. If a flipper equipped custom Lum Chinese Folder exists, and his widow was willing, Spyderco might consider producing a production version of it. OTOH, I'm not so sure they'd be willing tamper with the design of a deceased knife maker.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

The Deacon wrote:If it was an in-house design, Spyderco might consider such a mod. If Bob Lum were alive, and approved, Spyderco might consider such a mod. If a flipper equipped custom Lum Chinese Folder exists, and his widow was willing, Spyderco might consider producing a production version of it. OTOH, I'm not so sure they'd be willing tamper with the design of a deceased knife maker.
I agree. Seems like poor taste if you cant get the go ahead to change the design.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It wouldn't be a simple change either. It would be a new model and need to go through the whole process just as a brand new design first coming into spyderco's system. It's a lengthy process and not just a sprint run.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"