Mirror Polish?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Mirror Polish?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

How do you get that mirror polish edge? I'd like to try and get mine that way. Does it make the knife sharper?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Stropping and high grit stones or tapes are used to get a polished edge. Yes, it makes the edge sharper because it's more refined.

For example, if you sharpen and finish with a 320 grit stone, there will be micro burrs or serrations on the edge. If you go up in grits, it burrs become smaller and smaller. These burrs will break off when cutting making your edge become dull. A more refined higher grit edge has less or no burrs to break off so your edge will hold up better.

off none of this stuff makes sense, I suck at explaining things. :)
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

Mine aren't quite as pretty as those of some of the gurus on here, but I've gotten a few of my knives fairly close by stropping with wet 2000 grit sandpaper (get it in the automotive section at Wal-Mart.)
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Mirror polish makes edge sharper on some things, other times it not as good as a lower grit finished.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Mirror polished edges come as you get to very fine grit. I personally go to 2000 grit sandpaper on a rig I made (edge pro like) to set the back bevel. Then put polish paste on some card, using it like sandpaper,(except away from edge) untill the back is mirrored. then put a 1000(or so) grit micro bevel on so I get an aggressive edge that can split hair like a polished edge, and be pretty like one.

If you could tell us what setup you use, we could be a bit more help :)
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Two words: Edge Pro
I work my way all the way up to the 6000 polishing tapes, and then strop with .3 micron diamond paste on leather. Works like a charm, and is pretty addicting. That said, while generally a polished edge is 'sharper' and tends to keep an edge a little longer, it may not be the best solution for your cutting needs. Some guys prefer a more 'toothier' edge, and at times I do too. if I opt for this I may stop with the 1000 grit stone on the EP for a micro-bevel, but still take my secondary bevel up to the aforementioned polished state.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

You can get it pretty polished with just a strop and compounds. I just bought one off the bay, ill post pics of my edges after the attempt.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Lots of good advice here. :D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I can only get my edges to semi polished with the 2 micron loaded strop I use. Works fine for me and they do glisten in the light. For a super fine mirror edge I think you would need equipment/materials to get the job done.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:I can only get my edges to semi polished with the 2 micron loaded strop I use. Works fine for me and they do glisten in the light. For a super fine mirror edge I think you would need equipment/materials to get the job done.
Getting a mirror bevel is not just the finishing part. It also the preparation. You need to get rid of the scratches of the lower grits before moving on the the next grit. Grit progression is the key.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Getting a mirror bevel is not just the finishing part. It also the preparation. You need to get rid of the scratches of the lower grits before moving on the the next grit. Grit progression is the key.
Eliminating the scratches is all important. The stones, strops, etc. that you use needs to be in good shape. Different stones leave different appearances (they all get a knife sharp). My EP 600 and 1000 grit stones will create a beautiful mirror edge except for one problem Even with the 1000 grit stone they leave tiny stray scratches on the bevel. A lot of them you need a small magnifying glass to see. It's like there are tiny tiny diamonds embedded in the stone that scratch the surface of the bevel. I believe that type of stone is not what you want to buy to get a mirror polish. They get the knife stupid sharp though. I also have Congress Tools mold master stones (320, 400, 600 grits). They don't polish to a mirror but there are absolutely no stray scratches. After the 600 (or even the 400) grit stone the bevel is very smooth with a beautiful pattern. The "scratches" are so small I don't really call them scratches. It's like the bevel has a cloudy look to them. Then I use 6 micron DMT diamond past on a strop to polish the bevels, then change to 1 micron. That really does the job for me. After I have stropped until the bevels are where I want them I make sure the edge is razor sharp. If the stropping has rounded the edge a little I put a tiny micro bevel with maybe 2 or 3 strokes on each side.

That is how I do it but everything others have said makes sense also. I would love to get together with people on this forum in a big room with everyone have their sharpening tools set up. Then we could all see different methods. I'd love for all the knowledge from the people on this forum could get into a room.

I want to experiment with some of the other type stones from Congress Tools. Some are meant for polishing more than sharpening and they are not expensive either.

Does anyone remember what it was like to just want a knife to be sharp? :D

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jackknifeh wrote:
Does anyone remember what it was like to just want a knife to be sharp? :D

Jack
Jack, I carried a bali since I was in college and I thought that cutting off a few arm hairs with each pass was sharp for a knife back then. I only understood sharpness when I joined the forums. Dang this dark side but it sure is fun :D
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Getting a mirror bevel is not just the finishing part. It also the preparation. You need to get rid of the scratches of the lower grits before moving on the the next grit. Grit progression is the key.
Very true. I've ordered a number of different grits from Congress just so the steps between grits would be more incremental in that progression towards the 6000 grit tapes, and eventual .3 strop. Well worth the effort when you look at the edge under a loop. It is a sickness I tell you, a sickness.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SQSAR wrote:... It is a sickness I tell you, a sickness.
Hehehe, agreed. :D
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

All these guys are right on. Moving up through the grits how to do it. You can get a basic mirror polish with something like the 1000 grit EP stones, but moving to the 2000 and 3000+ grit polish tapes or high grit stones will give you a much more elegant polish with a more refined edge.