Why???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
808spyder

Why???

Post by 808spyder »

Why do we like Spyderco knives so much? I have other knives as well but I have the most Spyderco knives by far for some reason. What's your reason? Please share.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Function, looks, fit and finish, lockup, clip, materials, price point, customer service, and that spydie hole feels so much better on the thumb than a thumb stud :)
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I think that you get more knife for the money with Spyderco than any other brand. When you look at what competitors charge for the same materials, fit and finish, it's no contest.

Post by 1623 »

mikerestivo wrote:I think that you get more knife for the money with Spyderco than any other brand. When you look at what competitors charge for the same materials, fit and finish, it's no contest.
Nail meet hammer.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

For me, the fit, finish, functionality, materials, and value are all top notch. However, the way Sal and company choose to do business trumps all other reasons for my Spyderco loyalty. Let's face it, there are several very good knife companies out there, but none who bring to the table all that Spyderco does.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

SQSAR wrote:For me, the fit, finish, functionality, materials, and value are all top notch. However, the way Sal and company choose to do business trumps all other reasons for my Spyderco loyalty. Let's face it, there are several very good knife companies out there, but none who bring to the table all that Spyderco does.
I agree 100%. Quality , fit and finish , materials , craftsmanship , looks and toughness too. And I really like that all Spydercos come razor sharp right out of the box. Spyderco 4 eva !!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yup, scratches my itch for materials and performance with the best prices on the market for those same materials and performance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lots of reasons, but three stand out. The Spyderhole opener, which is the only opener I've ever used that combines 100% reliability with comfort, Spyderco's general high level of quality, and Sal Glesser's way of dealing with people.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:yup, scratches my itch for materials and performance with the best prices on the market for those same materials and performance.
100%..................... :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

1. Function over form
2. The Spydiehole
3. I like Sal's and his Company's integrity

TedP
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Spyderco grinds many of their knives thin, so they cut.
Most if not all others leave too much steel at the edge. That separates Spyderco from the rest.

Add that too what was said before.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

For me, it's pretty much the materials. I mean, I love the workmanship, and I love the customer-centric CQI approach.

But dollar-for-dollar, I know for a fact that I can't touch Spyderco's materials. Look around: at what price point do other manufacturers start offering CPM-S30V? VG-10? ZDP-189? (The list goes on, of course, but you get the idea.) What about carbon fiber? Titanium?

It's rare for another production knife company to offer a knife with any of this stuff. Heck, G-10 is upscale for a lot of competitors.

Spyderco seems hellbent on getting me good materials at a price where those materials can still go in my pocket, and not on a shelf. They do a lot more than that, but that's more than enough to make them my only knife company going forward.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I am a knife enthusiast first and a Spyderco enthusiast second. I believe that limiting ones self to strictly Spyderco and nothing else deprives one of everything the knife world has to offer. There are some pretty **** fine knives out there that do not bear the round hole.

I know such words may ruffle a few feathers, but it's just my 2-cents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

What they said :D
Come Join Us Click Here
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

Ergonomics -Spyderco knives feel more comfortable in hand than any other knives I own.
JD Spydo

Spyderco: The Rolex of Knives

Post by JD Spydo »

For me it's a myriad of reasons. Many of the reasons I like Spyders have already been mentioned in the posts before mine.

But it's not too often that you have a company that interacts with their customer base like Spyderco does. There are no longer very many American Companies that take pride in what they do like Spyderco does.

But most of all I love most all of the models that Spyderco had in their line up in what I call the GOLDEN ERA Of Spyders ( 1998-2003). I know it's not everyone's favorite era of Spyders but many in that era are still my favorites.

Also they have knives for just about every endeavor you can imagine. They have outdoor knives, culinary knives, Self Defense knives, EDC knives and specialized knives made mainly for elaborate collections. Not only are they of a super quality but they are mainly designed for function and a good example of that is their great line up of Hawkbills.

I guess maybe it boils down to a Ford vs Chevy preference of sorts but to me it's their unique options, quality materials and features on knives that no other company offers. What Rolex is to watches to me Spyderco is to knives.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

I really like the style of Spyderco knives. The variety of blade shapes and the trademark round opening hole make them just so useful to open one-handed. The fit and finish of so many different models make them a pleasure to look at and own. You always need to have the right tool for the job and for many cutting tasks Spyderco knives are the perfect tool.
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

Yes x's 16! With all that said I was wondering where do we stand? I am sure many of us has watched the Proof DVD that ColdSteel has put out. How do you think the Delica or Endura would do in such tests vs. the Voyagers?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

808spyder wrote:Yes x's 16! With all that said I was wondering where do we stand? I am sure many of us has watched the Proof DVD that ColdSteel has put out. How do you think the Delica or Endura would do in such tests vs. the Voyagers?
WTF are you talking about?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Innovation with design and materials. Risk taking with design and materials. Variety. Finger choils. Spyderhole. Attention to ergos. "If you build it (correctly) they will come" attitude of the company.