rust on cts-xhp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ZDP won't stain or patina worth a dang for me.
drewskeez

Post by drewskeez »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:ZDP won't stain or patina worth a dang for me.
Same for me I've never seen anything i'm my zdp
JMM

Re: rust on cts-xhp

Post by JMM »

I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it in my searches and wanted to reply and share the experience I had today, and see if anyone else had thoughts or feedback...

I recently purchased (and received today) a Manix2 G10 w/XHP, described by the (secondary market) seller as "New/Like-New, with facory edge" and it turned out that none of that was accurate. My first impression upon opening the package was, hey great, looks good... that lasted for about 30 seconds. Rust like I've never seen on XHP (I carry a Chaparral almost daily as my small/secondary EDC) or really any modern steel from Spyderco. It started on the thumb-ramp jimping and went all the way around the back of the blade into the pivot, rust on the adjacent areas of the liners and the ball cage spring retention piece. I completely broke the knife down and was able to get it back it shape with some bar-keepers-friend, then wiped everything but the blade down with a silicon gun cloth that has always worked very well for me, then lubed the pivot/washers with nano-oil, and a dot of mineral oil on the blade, which is exactly how I treat all my tool steels (4v, rex45, k390, cruwear) -- has anyone else had similar experiences with XHP, I have not, at all, I use my Chaparral for lots of stuff, including food prep & eating on occasion. This was all very much foreign territory for me in regards to XHP behaviour.

Cheers,

John
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I thought Larrin posted some steel comparisons earlier this year that found XHP really did not perform as a stainless steel.
JMM

Post by JMM »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:33 am
I thought Larrin posted some steel comparisons earlier this year that found XHP really did not perform as a stainless steel.
I'll have to look that up. It certainly sounds consistent with what I observed today. However I have used my FRN Chaparral nearly daily for the last year or so and I've very much treated it as as stainless steel, not a tool steel - and I've have had absolutely zero issue, I guess that's what I find so surprising and was curious about other users experiences...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have had some minor rust dots show up on my hundred pacer. Nothing serious Flitz could not remove.

I would not put it in the take care of it like tool steel but would say it is highly corrosion resistant and at the very least food safe mineral oil in the area close to the pivot.

Then again I am now in the habit of using food safe mineral oil on all my folders excepting the H1 stuff.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I live in NW Georgia. I pretty much carry either my Chaparral LW or Rhino daily. I've not noticed any rust. I have noticed some discoloration that could possibly be a patina.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The only time I noticed XHP rust was when I went into the Atlantic ocean with my Chap LW in my pocket.

It cleaned off easy enough but it definitely rusted.