A Spyderco and Kershaw+ Forum learning appreciation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

A Spyderco and Kershaw+ Forum learning appreciation

Post by dbcad »

I came into posession of a Kershaw assisted open folder for the weekend. Not being familiar with this brand and not knowing the price it sells for precludes me from badmouthing it. As a matter of fact it has a few features I enjoy when compared with the PPT.

A mechanic I work with owns it and he has been putting in 60+ hours a week lately as the factory is woefully understaffed. This buddy appreciates the edges I get on my :spyder: 's and has lamented (between the lines) that he doesn't have the time to get his Kershaw very sharp like mine are. He owns some :spyder: 's and considers them to be in the same class as Benchmade which is why he doesn't put them through the abusive environment at work.

His edge on the Kershaw was in need of serious repair, so yesterday I asked him to let me sharpen his knife. I gave him the very sharp SG Delica to use over the weekend.

The Kershaw has a very nice hollow grind, an extremely positive blade angle and a really nice stout fat clip :) The time it took to take out the very deep chips in the edge tell me that it's good blade steel. For me the PPT is in a different class with the FFG and S30V, but the Kershaw is no slouch :)

Which leads me to Forum appreciation. 2 years ago I couldn't get a butter knife sharp :eek: After hanging around here, learning about edge angles, materials, and practicing I've been able to take this beat up edge and make it sharp. This wouldn't have been possible without the positive interaction I've enjoyed on the Forum. ZDP is still a PITA, but most other materials seem pretty easy now :)

Reprofiling of the Kershaw is done at a conservative angle considering the use it has had, now all that remains is setting a nice 40 deg microbevel and stropping. It will be a true pleasure presenting my friend a knife with a better than new edge.

I thank Spyderco and Forum members for setting the sharpness standard and maintaining the Forum. Being able to take a damaged edge and make it better than new is incredibly rewarding :D I would encourage anyone to do the same. No matter what the style it's the edge that really counts :D

PS. A Loupe is instrumental for the final result, during the Xcoarse stage I was able to tell exactly when the chips had been removed :)
Attachments
PPT and Kershaw.jpg
PPT and Kershaw.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dialex

Post by dialex »

Is that a Kershaw Needs Work? Kershaw makes some pretty good knives, I have a couple but I never could EDC them for more than a few days, I keep returning to my Spydies. :)
Anyway, thanks for the story and pic. Practice (and a good Sharpmaker) makes perfection ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

kershaw makes a good knife. lately i've been carrying this (with my spydies :D )

Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

I would buy a few kershaws, but most of their models I would be interested in are assisted opening, which I don't care for. And from what I hear removing the assist bar changes the functioning of the knife.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

gundude73 wrote:kershaw makes a good knife. lately i've been carrying this (with my spydies :D )

Rude blade! What model is that, do tell...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dbcad,

Good job on the edge restoration. It is an art worth learning.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are all teachers and we are all students".
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

sal wrote:Hi Dbcad,

Good job on the edge restoration. It is an art worth learning.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are all teachers and we are all students".
Couldn't agree with the tag line more. Being able to keep these knives sharp was a goal I had when I first started buying them ;) In this the tag line is very relevant. Sharpness is a never ending curve never quite hitting the ultimate.

A good look at the edge with a 15X lighted loupe before sharpening told me what I needed to do :)

The 40 deg bevel has been set on the Kershaw. Even if I didn't strop it I know the owner would be pleased. I will give it a little stropping just for giggles even though I know the extremely sharp edge will soon disappear.

It is very satifying to have the ability to make things sharp :) Thank you Sal for your encouragement :)
Attachments
3 edtges1.jpg
3 edtges1.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
Charlie

cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

Cheddarnut wrote:Rude blade! What model is that, do tell...
That is the Limited Edition Tilt. It is Kershaw's first knife with the KVT bearing system, where it rolls on bearings to open. The blade is a Composite blade with the cutting edge being Udderholm Vanax 75. It is a framelock knife with the backside cut being cut at a radius that will not allow the lockbar to over extend. A very hi-tech knife.

I like Kershaw along with my Spyderco's. :D

Here's a view of the backside. Had it been an all titanium model I would have been all over it! I just can't stand the newer construction method of one handle ti, and the other somrthing else. I'm jut plain old OCD I guess.
Attachments
KSTILTa.jpg
KSTILTa.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"BACON is God's gift to mankind
-cutter17

SPYDERCO's owned;
Titanium Military, Perrin PPT, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, 92mm Citadel, Gayle Bradley......
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I love the look on peoples faces when I restore their edges. The people with good steels get to experience their knife split hair, their jaw drops :D . AWESOME job on the restoration :)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Some folks who actually understand what it is to have a sharp knife are nearly giddy when I hand their knife back to them after an edge restoration or even a simple sharpening.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'll reply a couple of more times to this thread if only for the learning I've experienced. The blade steel in the Kershaw is Sandvik 13C26. A very repectable material that is used for some razor blades.

My intuition was right when I gave the blade a good tough edge angle and a very sharp 40 deg microbevel :D This steel polishes well.

The owner of the Kershaw said that I have sharper knives than anyone else at the factory. Yet I am only a novice here among some folks that are much more capable and skilled. I can only learn and improve my knowledge and capability over time.

This has been my modest weekend project and I believe it was time and thought well spent :)

Keep 'em sharp folks :D
Attachments
kershaw and PPT2.jpg
kershaw and PPT2.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
Charlie

sc0urge

Post by sc0urge »

dbcad wrote:Couldn't agree with the tag line more. Being able to keep these knives sharp was a goal I had when I first started buying them ;) In this the tag line is very relevant. Sharpness is a never ending curve never quite hitting the ultimate.

A good look at the edge with a 15X lighted loupe before sharpening told me what I needed to do :)

The 40 deg bevel has been set on the Kershaw. Even if I didn't strop it I know the owner would be pleased. I will give it a little stropping just for giggles even though I know the extremely sharp edge will soon disappear.

It is very satifying to have the ability to make things sharp :) Thank you Sal for your encouragement :)
Sorry a little off-topic and I don't mean to hijack, but what's that Spyderco between the PPT and Kershaw?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

sc0urge wrote:Sorry a little off-topic and I don't mean to hijack, but what's that Spyderco between the PPT and Kershaw?
I guess a C127GPFG Urban Leaf.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Yes the knife in the middle is the leaf Urban. An absolutely delightful knife and my most carried.

The buddy who's Kershaw I worked on took a vacation day today...lolol. I'll catch up with him tomorrow
Charlie

Post by 5.56 »

This isn't really the right forum, but I have to say Kershaw is doing something right.

The majority of their folders have nice quality, are made in the USA, and yet, are still very affordable. In fact, a lot of their USA made folders are easily under $100 and feature great steels and materials.

Go figure.

:)
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
dbcad

Last post to this one, I think??

Post by dbcad »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Some folks who actually understand what it is to have a sharp knife are nearly giddy when I hand their knife back to them after an edge restoration or even a simple sharpening.
I gave the Kershaw 1820 back today and my buddy was happy yet cautious at the same time. He said that he needed to treat the edge with much more respect, but that it will be used :) I think I gave him an edge he was not used to :D He did say also that the SG delica held it's edge very well.

It's really good that Kershaw and other companies are paying more attention to materials while keeping the cost low :)

The main point of the thread was finding the ability to make good materials very sharp and being able to give that to another individual so maybe they can also develop the same appreciation that I have been able to develop through the Forum. As well it's about appreciation for this Forum and what so many of you have shown me over the past couple of years :)

Every blade I reprofile now is better than the last :D Sharpening is all about learning and enjoying what you're doing. Being able to share that with someone is incredibly rewarding :)
Charlie

BAL

Post by BAL »

Thats a great story dbcad. It's amazing what you can learn on this forum and without even knowing it. I have had a knife in my pocket for close to 50 years now, but have only had a quality knife there since I stumbled onto Spyderco. The difference is amazing, absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing the story.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

My EDC's were Kershaw for many years - I sometimes slip one in the rotation now.
Once I started carrying the spydies, I just don't favor others - I know many on here agree.

But as far as an edge - I can, and have put what I call hot edges on Kershaw knives that would pop hair to the light touch. And they hold up pretty well also - now my new D4 with VG-10 just dressed a deer last weekend and was still shave sharp afterwards.
All that and a bag of chips! and doesn't weigh but half the Kershaw.

I'm a spydie guy now for sure - but still like my Kershaws.
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like the Tilt but that handle doesn't really do it for me. I like the blade shape and i'm all about a wharnie with a huge choil like that...i'd have to handle it to see how that handle feels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David