Ode to Spyderco Junior

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Ode to Spyderco Junior

Post by brj »

As others pointed out, although this knife was specifically designed with a focus on children usage, the end product is unexpectedly comfortable for grown-ups as well.

Things I love:
- The streamlined handle coupled with the wide and tall blade. After a passenger ‘what am I supposed to do with this folding kitchen knife’ thought upon opening the package, usage ideas started pouring in, revealing what an excellent all-rounder the Junior really is. The tip is moderately pointy and the blade may not be your regular slicing machine, but it really shines as a general utility folder to have at hand. Oh yeah, and it really excels at spreading PB&J :D

- Exquisite balance: much like the Street Beat, the Junior perches on your finger

- Dialex’s logo, incorporating the Neolithic Romanian “thinker of Hamangia” figurine

- Open back construction
- Compression lock

Neutral:
- Really tight wire clip. Exceeds the comfort zone, but no big deal otherwise

Room for improvement:
- Larger size. A 4” blade would serve, a 5” one would be even better. As the unique handle offers an error-free, natural grip, and you can use the blade for cutting, slicing, whittling (courtesy of the negative angle near the Spanish notch) and even digging (the wide blade helps a lot), this could be the ultimate backpacking folder to have on track.

- “Friendlier” handles color. In Alex’s initial design the black handles are in line with the need to point out the “knife, beware!” message to kids. However, I feel that the omnipresent and ominous black may well have been replaced with some other non-flashy color, like dark blue or desert tan with little to no impact on the initial message, but with a measurable effect on increasing the target group for this knife.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way Spyderco managed to stay true to Alex's design. Now if only Battlestation would be the next colab .... ;)

Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

Very interesting I had no idea that the Junior was made for "junior". Right now my son has a PE LadyBug that fits perfectly in his hand. He just might be getting his second spydie, just in time for Christmas.
speedcut

Battlestation next

Post by speedcut »

The Junior is a great knife very suited for slashing cuts of any kind in the kitchen
or elsewhere...Exquisite piece highly recomended... :)

I hear you about the Battlestation bro! Spy please do the right thing -Bring it to life - :)

P.S. I already have the motto: Battlestation - Taking SD to a whole new level! :)
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I sort of like the knife, but more VG-10 is just getting old to me. Even though VG-10 isn't a deal breaker in an of itself, throw in that ridiculously large and cartoonish-like maker's mark, and I will pass. Some will say these aren't reasons not to buy the knife, but it is what it is. Sorry.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

brj,

Thanks for the informative review and the useful photos.

I especially enjoyed the explanatory link regarding the "thinker of Hamangia."

Best regards,
EarthDog
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Love the knife :) . Collabs are getting more spendy each day so at least vg10 offers some affordability I guess.

Dialex's mark on the Adventura was plain and understated. Glad it's been spiced up a bit. He's a bigger deal than the knife world knows right now. About time they woke up.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Junior a lot, but I dislike the tall blade. It seems out of proportion to the very slim handle, and I prefer narrower blade shapes anyway. I hired a local knife maker to modify the blade to look similar to the Street Beat. I'm sure this will become one of my favorites once that's done!

The large Dialex on the blade isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would've preferred a bit smaller size, and a less cartoonish font. The font kind of reminds me of the Flintstones.

Anyway, it's a great little knife. Very smooth operation, and very secure in the hand.
:bug-red-white
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

My Junior is perfectly balanced, scary sharp, grippy and one of the best cutting tools I have handled in 53 years. No compensation needed. It has replaced my zdp Delica for EDC.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Count me as a fan. The handle shape, the wide blade, the excellent compression lock. Love it.

Sal, would you bring it out in orange G10? I think this would make it the ultimate backpacking knife... it couldn't get lost on the forest floor!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185