Spyderco Trademark Round Hole™

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

Spyderco Trademark Round Hole™

Post by Water Bug »

Y'all, I've thumbed open some of the finest commercially produced folders out there, such as Chris Reeve, Emerson, Hinderer, Strider, and Al Mar; however, none of these holds a candle to the Spyderco Trademark Round Hole™ of a fine Spyderco Knife!

Mind you, I do like the brands that I named; however, Sal and Spyderco really did it right! Sal did it so right that others like the concept of the Spyderco Trademark Round Hole™ as well.

When I thumb open a :spyder: I know it'll open with no slipping of my thumb and that it'll thumb open into the locked position without my thumb ever experiencing the sharp edge of the knife (can't 100% say that for the other brands). I also know that my :spyder: s (with the possible exception of my Spydero P'Kal due to its intentional design) won't accidentally "wave" open as I draw them from my pocket.

In my opinion, Sal, ya really did it right! Thank you for what you do!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

+1. Although I have a number of the aforementioned brands of folders. Whenever I open one it just feels odd.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

SQSAR wrote:+1. Although I have a number of the aforementioned brands of folders. Whenever I open one it just feels odd.
I've opened them, but don't own them and they do feel a bid odd when opening.

Post by 1623 »

I recall Ed Schempp discussing his Balance model in a You Tube video and saying that Spydercos requirement for any design is that the opening hole is to be 1.1" from the pivot.

There's a reason for that, and it works. I agree that the Spydie hole is far more comfortable, and I would even say more reliable in the sense that it locks your thumb in place much better than a stud.

There is something very reassuring about reaching for your knife and knowing that it will deploy well and that your thumb (or finger) will stay put until you decide to move it.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

totally agree. my personal preference in order is :-
spydie hole
byrd hole
other brand copied spydie hole
flipper
thumbstud
other.. like nail divots & the like..
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Opening some of my old Case Trappers with the nail nick seems absolutely medieval these days...

TedP
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The flipper is a workable alternative, not sure if anyone (Carson?) has put any kind of patent on it.

The only other brands I really consider purchasing these days use flippers or licenced Spyderholes. Thumb studs are dead to me.
—Daniel Jackson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have tried on some level to own knives that don't have some kind of hole...i just can't go back to the thumb stud.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like the hole...though I do feel that it is getting a bit out of hand. 11mm was totally fine, 12mm is more than enough. They are getting just too large now IMO. I opened my Native 4 today with lined leather gloves on no problem at all.

If I can't have a hole...I'll take a flipper, then a thumb stud.
On the hunt for...
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I won't buy a knife with a round hole that isn't a Spyderco: I won't buy from a knife company that has copied the round hole without permission either.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The use of the hole necessitates some other design tradeoffs, such as "either your blade is really wide or has a big-assed hump on it."

But yeah, now that I've had a few knives that open the Spydie way, it's tough to switch.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

dj moonbat wrote:The use of the hole necessitates some other design tradeoffs, such as "either your blade is really wide or has a big-assed hump on it."

But yeah, now that I've had a few knives that open the Spydie way, it's tough to switch.
Very true, very true indeed. It does come at the price of aesthetics, but I guess I've gotten used to it.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

SQSAR wrote:Very true, very true indeed. It does come at the price of aesthetics, but I guess I've gotten used to it.
Well, it doesn't HAVE to impact the aesthetics negatively. Some models integrate the hole in a way that's reminiscent of a small, vicious animal. For a knife, that's not a bad aesthetic to have at all. It's just that once you're committed to maintaining the hole as a trademark, other design decisions have consequences.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love it too :) . Great innovations and Spyderco go hand in hand! It certainly requires some design work on certain models, namely while trying to avoid a hump in the spine.

As an aside and humble request, since the Tm itself is a pretty sensitive issue let's be sure to make this about praise/critique or usability concerns. History and brand names can get very heated.

You are all great and civil. Just wanted to dampen the grass before 4th of July :) .
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

I too really like the Spyderhole. I hope another manufacturer challenges the trademark because I'd like to see the Spyderhole on other manufacturers' knives.
dialex

Post by dialex »

1623 wrote:I recall Ed Schempp discussing his Balance model in a You Tube video and saying that Spydercos requirement for any design is that the opening hole is to be 1.1" from the pivot...
I don't know if this is entirely true. Especially on the smaller Spydies, the distance from the pivot to the hole is significantly smaller.
I'd rather think what Ed actually said was that the distance should be no longer than 1.1", otherwise one has to stretch the thumb too much and can't operate the hole properly.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Post by 1623 »

dialex wrote:I don't know if this is entirely true. Especially on the smaller Spydies, the distance from the pivot to the hole is significantly smaller.
I'd rather think what Ed actually said was that the distance should be no longer than 1.1", otherwise one has to stretch the thumb too much and can't operate the hole properly.
This is the vid that I referenced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTaLVavC4is

The comment is made at 0:58 and elaborated on at the 2:09 mark.

No argument with you sir, simply providing the source from which I heard the information.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

spydercos hole , imo, is so much more 'ergonomic on the thumb', if that's how to describe it.

Easier to sharpen cause you dont hit the studs on the rod (if the knife is like that) .

Just more effective overall. I put flipper next, then stud.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

To be honest, aside from my SAKs and a few multi tools, I've got rid of all my other knives with thumb studs or flippers ect, because I feel the opening hole is the best, safest, and least complicated way of allowing you to open a knife one handed. I like the fact that something is actually removed than another part added to further complicate things. Not to mention I have never had a spyderco knife catch the pocket or waistband when drawing the knife. I should add that the byrd hole works equally well for me and comes in a close second.
r small

Post by r small »

I won't carry any knife that doesn't have a round opening hole.