Is there anywhere in Canada I can purchase a USA made BaliYo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

Is there anywhere in Canada I can purchase a USA made BaliYo?

Post by Zerimas »

I am on the hunt for a USA made BaliYo, unfortunately I cannot seem to find any non-U.S. retailers for it. Shipping to Canada is $25 from every retailer. :eek: I'd prefer not to go the eBay route. Are there any Canadians here who have successfully managed to get a hold of one of these?
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Right off, the BaliYo is a Prohibited Weapon here in Canada. It is classified as the same as a Butterfly or Bali-style knife.

Are they up here? Yes, I have seen them.

Ordering one, then it getting caught at the border will cause you more harm than good and will get you a free stay at the local klink over night.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LOL, for an ink pen???
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jossta

Post by jossta »

I would not go to jail willingly for a pen.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

I dunno, Sal says there OK here in this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -in-canada
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

They still fall under the Criminal Code as a Prohibited Weapon.

The context of the design is of a Bali, despite it having a pen instead of blade.

Now would there be an issue if you had one, most likely not.

I like them. I wanted a few for my kids, however my contacts in Canada Customs as well as my workplace indicated this is the current stance on them.

Shame really.

Same with a Spyder-Fly trainer. No blade per se, but still illegal.

Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Now I am sad. I bought one of the Chinese ones without incident, but now I want an American one. Maybe we Canadians should get together and write out MPs about changing the knife laws. They recently ruled in favour of assisted-opening knives in Ontario, the rationality behind not making them illegal is that they knives are prima facie a tool--not a weapon. Balisongs are much slower to deploy than an assisted opener or Spydie. Anyone want to start a grassroots campaign with me?
syphen

Post by syphen »

FIMS wrote:They still fall under the Criminal Code as a Prohibited Weapon.

The context of the design is of a Bali, despite it having a pen instead of blade.

I like them. I wanted a few for my kids, however my contacts in Canada Customs as well as my workplace indicated this is the current stance on them.

Shame really.

Hmmm really? I ordered a couple Baliyo's and received them no problem. They were the chinese ones but still came from the states. They both cracked up and broke (crap plastic.) and I gave up on them after that. Also, I think I annoyed my wife and co-workers flipping it! :)
Too many Spydies to list!
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Zerimas wrote:Now I am sad. I bought one of the Chinese ones without incident, but now I want an American one. Maybe we Canadians should get together and write out MPs about changing the knife laws. They recently ruled in favour of assisted-opening knives in Ontario, the rationality behind not making them illegal is that they knives are prima facie a tool--not a weapon. Balisongs are much slower to deploy than an assisted opener or Spydie. Anyone want to start a grassroots campaign with me?
I'm in. A pen being illegal is way too much. :eek:
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

DiKa wrote:I'm in. A pen being illegal is way too much. :eek:
Here is the article about the ruling on assisted opening knives: http://www.akti.org/news/canadian-judge ... ot-weapons

Even if it weren't a pen, the whole prima-facie-knife-tool-thing sets a precedent for balisongs and auto-knives to be legal (at least I think so). I am pretty sure that is rationalization as to why knives can be carried. It's similar to the UK, where you need a good reason. More so in the case balisongs as I imagine the things are darn useful: no locks to break and no innards to gum up with dirt.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Bali-style knives by primary function and design are weapons, so they will never be legal here in Canada.

Same with auto knives. There are a few Microtech's Id love to own and carry.

As far as the Baliyo, thats where they stand legally, but if you got your hands on a few, good on ya.

But it is not just a pen is it?

Donut

Post by Donut »

Is the Benchmade Bali-flash drive illegal in Canada, too?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

FIMS wrote:They still fall under the Criminal Code as a Prohibited Weapon.

Shame really.

I think in this situation "interpreted to be illegal" by Customs versus "actually illegal" as determined by a court may be two different things. If the Baliyo pen in illegal, then I've got a pair of flip open pliers from Home Hardware that should also be illegal since they open using the same mechanism. I suggest this is just another case of over zealously wide interpretaion with no basis in real law. Come to think of it, I've got a pair of folding bamboo salad tongs that Customs might class as illegal also - they open the same way ;)
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

FIMS wrote:Bali-style knives by primary function and design are weapons, so they will never be legal here in Canada.

Same with auto knives. There are a few Microtech's Id love to own and carry.

As far as the Baliyo, thats where they stand legally, but if you got your hands on a few, good on ya.

But it is not just a pen is it?
I don't know about them being weapons by primary function. The Benchmade Magnus certainly has a utility blade shape. From what I understand, it is up to the LEO to decide whether the knife you has is a weapon or a tool. Granted with some knives (like stiletto style blades) it is pretty difficult to make the case for them being utility knives. This is rapidly becoming way off topic, perhaps this thread should be moved? Or maybe I should start a new thread in the off-topic section about how it is less fun to be a Canadian knife enthusiast than an American one?
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

I don't agree with the laws in Canada about knife limitations at all. The paradox is that it is completely legal to carry a foot long fixed blade on you, in public, as long it is visible and is a part of your heritage. Balis and automatics can be used as a weapon the same way as any other knife. There is no reason what so ever for them to be restricted. The intimidation issue on flippping a bali or pressing a button is rediculous, because it's not about how you open your knife, it's about what you are going to do with it. For some people, including cops, firefighters etc..., opening a knife fast and with one hand can make a world of a difference. Same applies to many other trades and professions.
syphen

Post by syphen »

I live in Ontario and have a decent understanding of the law. I do not see how it is possible for a baliyo to be illegal.

FIMS, I think you may have been mistaken. It MAY be possible to be deemed a weapon under Canadian law that allows 'interpretations' of an item if it is used in an offensive or defensive situation. I just re-read Canada's criminal code regarding this topic. Section 84(1) defines all non-firearm prohibited weapons. A butterfly style pen is not on the list. It does reference butterfly knives but then you have to look at the definition of a knife. It is defined as 'a sharp tool designed for cutting, slicing or spreading' in my dictionary here. The baliyo is not a sharp object designed for any of that. It is a ball point pen.

Like I said, none of the baliyo's I have ordered have ever been seized and they are not illegal by the word of the law.
Too many Spydies to list!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We have regularly shipped BaliYos to Canada without a single incident. They are a pen, they do not fall under the same classification or regulations that knives do. Hope this helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

TazKristi wrote:We have regularly shipped BaliYos to Canada without a single incident. They are a pen, they do not fall under the same classification or regulations that knives do. Hope this helps.

Kristi
That's good to know. I wish I could find somewhere that didn't charge so much shipping. Amazon.com won't ship this item to Canada. :(
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

TazKristi wrote:We have regularly shipped BaliYos to Canada without a single incident. They are a pen, they do not fall under the same classification or regulations that knives do. Hope this helps.

Kristi
Thanks Kristi.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

4 s ter wrote:I think in this situation "interpreted to be illegal" by Customs versus "actually illegal" as determined by a court may be two different things. If the Baliyo pen in illegal, then I've got a pair of flip open pliers from Home Hardware that should also be illegal since they open using the same mechanism. I suggest this is just another case of over zealously wide interpretaion with no basis in real law. Come to think of it, I've got a pair of folding bamboo salad tongs that Customs might class as illegal also - they open the same way ;)
I have the same pliers I think, and salad tongs!!!