Is there anywhere in Canada I can purchase a USA made BaliYo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

DiKa wrote:Thanks Kristi.
This was a topic from a few years ago, same with the trainer bali's, and they were not allowed into Canada.

Im only speaking form personal experience in criminal proceedings on similar products and court rulings on what the function of the item was deemed to be or replicated from.

But if Kristi has weighed in, and she is my primary Spyderco contact for Mil/LE sales, than I would hazard to go with her explanation. :D

Obviously something has changed since then, for the better.

Myself personally, I'd give my left lung to own a Spyderfly and Szabofly here.

I think they are gorgeous.

So.....maybe a few of us local to the GTA should place a Baliyo order? :spyder:
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's no comparison between a Bali-Yo and a SmallFly Trainer. The trainer is a balisong knife, the blade may be dull, but it could be sharpened. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the Bottle Fly balisong bottle openers were also considered something that, at least in theory, could be converted into a live, if oddly shaped, blade. The Bali-Yo does not even come close to being a knife and has less weapon potential than a 19¢ Bic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

FIMS wrote:This was a topic from a few years ago, same with the trainer bali's, and they were not allowed into Canada.

Im only speaking form personal experience in criminal proceedings on similar products and court rulings on what the function of the item was deemed to be or replicated from.

But if Kristi has weighed in, and she is my primary Spyderco contact for Mil/LE sales, than I would hazard to go with her explanation. :D

Obviously something has changed since then, for the better.

Myself personally, I'd give my left lung to own a Spyderfly and Szabofly here.

That sounds like a good plan.
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

FIMS wrote: Myself personally, I'd give my left lung to own a Spyderfly and Szabofly here.

+1. I smoke so I need my lungs though. A toe is OK. :D
I'm in for the Baliyo all the way.
Donut

Post by Donut »

If you all do a group buy, and someone was willing to ship them out to the individuals, you could probably save on shipping.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
angusW

Post by angusW »

My SOG Powerlock then would be considered a weapon as I can open it the same way as a BaliYo. I would not consider the legal opinion of a customs agent as legitimate. Misinterpretations by customs agents and police are common. It does not mean they are stupid. There are far too many laws for them to know and interpret correctly.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Donut wrote:If you all do a group buy, and someone was willing to ship them out to the individuals, you could probably save on shipping.
Perhaps for those who are close to the GTA, we could pick them up in person and do Spydie fan gathering? Should we make a separate thread for the group buy? FIMS, would you like to spearhead this effort, buy starting a thread in the off-topic section?
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

So I was in court today and spoke with a few Crown's and showed them the Baliyo via Youtube.

The item walks a fine line or a grey area in Canadian law regarding what it is, meant for, and modeled after.

Yes it is a pen, obviously, to all of us as fans of the design, however it is something that can be used and marketed as a self defense item.

Sure it is marketed as a pen, however our UoF guys all agree it more appears as an item to be used as a weapon, based on the Bali-style action for opening and closing.

The primary use of a bali-style set of pliers is that to use as a tool. However up here, the Baliyo if carried by someone to use for defense or offense purposes, will push it over the line into the Prohibited Weapon area.

Would I get one for my kids? Sure as heck I would. But again, things up here are different.

If I were dealing with someone on the street, and I saw or felt the Baliyo on his person, it would be an item I would remove for my own safety until I figure out what is going on.

I don't know what else to say.

Much like some firearms stuff up here, until someone gets in ****, carry on as normal.

FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Zerimas wrote:Perhaps for those who are close to the GTA, we could pick them up in person and do Spydie fan gathering? Should we make a separate thread for the group buy? FIMS, would you like to spearhead this effort, buy starting a thread in the off-topic section?
Would be nice, however this forum does not allow for GB's to happen.

However Spydie Fan Gatherings are encouraged, and a few have happened in the Toronto area. :spyder:

FIMS

Post by FIMS »

You know what, Im more happier with this response from Sal:

http://www.byrdknife.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=6
Eric and I have taken BaliYo's on the plane as carry on. Usually with other pens. We've had TSA inspect them, but have never cofiscated any. They've asked us to check them in our luggage next time, but that was a year ago.

The product was designed to be free of any "danger". that's one of the reasons it's plastic instead of metal. If they ask, just show them that it's a pen by twisting the end and hand it to them to look at closely. Be friendly. Carrying a BaliYo is doing nothing wrong. IOt is not a weapon. It was not created to be a weapon or even a "trainer" for a weapon. You can do things with a BaliYo that you cannot do with a balisong (like not cut yourself, it has no sharp edges ).

The BaliYo was created to be a design that offered the fun of a Balisong without any of the danger.

sal
Here is an old thread.
http://www.byrdknife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42994

I think I was letting liberal minded legalese get in the way of common sense in this topic.

Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

FIMS wrote:You know what, Im more happier with this response from Sal:

http://www.byrdknife.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=6

Here is an old thread.
http://www.byrdknife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42994

I think I was letting liberal minded legalese get in the way of common sense in this topic.
Fair enough. It happens to the best of us. :D Although I am not entirely sure how to feel about the fact that the laws are worded in such a way that we could even begin to think about considering BaliYos a weapon.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got to toy with a baliyo today and I am pretty sure that a Bic pen would be twice as effective as it. They are not structurally sound enough to do damage. Yes, not as structurally sound as a Bic pen.

Honestly, a plastic pen doesn't need to be strong, and it does that well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mally

Bali-yo is a pen

Post by mally »

i think thats a awsome pen/toy
a little civil disobedience might be in order
TheNeedyCat

Post by TheNeedyCat »

i was in st Johns NL this summer and found one of the us baliyos in a shop called "the outfitters" they had a selection of spydies and their spydie logo on the door is what drew me in, great store but i did end up walking out with a $300 arctryex jacket :( the sales people there are just TOO good!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

LEGAL as far as I know.

Post by Half Sack »

I own a Chinese Baliyo that was bought off ThinkGeek as a Christmas present I will not place it in carry-on luggage but I personally would argue it should not be classified as a weapon of any sort. A standard see-through Bic pen is far more studry & dangerous (at least to this Chinese version), I own metal pens (not yet tested at airports) but I would also argue their legality.

A Baliyo is not designed to be any sort of weapon self defense or other, I wouldn't trust my (Chinese) Baliyo to save my life, I'd grab a Bic pen or Sharpie marker or keys instead.

Again I'm not sure about the US made Baliyo's but I would argue my Baliyo is *NOT* and can not be used as an effective weapon especially when less attention grabbing options exist.

BTW if I could own a Balisong (even a trainer), I would have less actual (bladed knives) in my possession.
A trainer balisong trainer *should* be legal as far as my research and questions to Border Security are concerned but I can't afford $100+ to test my theories. Therefore I now own the knives in my signature.

More info or follow up opinions please message me, I don't follow threads enough if you have a question

P.S. I will be traveling in Canada in the next month and would be willing to test my Baliyo's legality at the airport (although being Christmas I can't argue with the "safe than sorry" style)
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Update: My baliyo & the metal pen I mentioned both passed through security in my carry on luggage without any problems.
I did have to remove my composite toe 'steel toe' boots, it may be because there is a steel wireloop on part of them.

I dont think this means it will always fly, it probably depends on whos at security that day.
I will post a picture of the metal pen for reference if my camera ever starts working.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*