Police 3 SE at it's best.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roan

Police 3 SE at it's best.

Post by Roan »

Thought I'd take the time tonight to write a testimonial for the Police 3 with Spyder edge.

Today's job was one of great apprehension. My supervisor had tasked him and myself with locating and fixing an obscure and intermittent fault with the GPS machine control system of a 6 year old 30 ton Hitachi Excavator.

A demon covered in 9000 hours worth of grease and muck, topped off with Hydraulic oil leaks from seemingly every valve and join on the machine. Combine this with the sand, mud and scum which is inevitably attached to grease and oil and I was presented with a dirty job in the 38 Degree (Celsius) heat of an Australian spring day.

We dove in head first, literally. Within 10 minutes we were coated with greasy scum from the guts of the machine. Tracing wiring harnesses, trying to locate where the fault may be.

My supervisor had brought along his Caly 3.5 SB, with the handle freshly Rit dyed black(looks great), but not so be soiled by such a grotty situation, a delica, freshly re profiled and sharpened to a razor edge was tasked with going into the depths to cut the nylon cable ties which stood in our way.

This worked well.... until we encountered a problem. A plain edge delica, no matter how sharp, just can't easily cut something you can't see, at arms reach, and covered in grease.
Luckily for us both, I had slipped my police 3 Spyder Edge into my pocket this morning.
I produced the beast and thought of the poor bugger stuck down between the hydraulic pump and the Boom arm, the poor guy sitting in a pool of black as night oily puss and inch deep.

"You know what we could really use right now?" He says, reading my mind.

"A police 3 full serrated?" I reply as I offer it to him through the watermelon sized grease lined hole he had crawled through.

He Grinned, did a double take, then shook his head, "No way, I can do that to such a nice knife".

But I insisted and with a quick flick, opened it up ready for work.
He could not bring himself to do it, so I reached through to the cable ties myself, which I could now reach thanks to the 4.25 inch blade and extended length handle.
All it took was to get the tip through the loop, just to the first serration, then pull back towards myself, and Pop!.

Melodrama aside, I was concerned when I bought this blade that I would not find a use for it. But to be honest it's become more my EDC blade than the Manix 2 FFG and Para 2.

The police spent the rest of the day in and out of the machine, laying in the dirt, and being generally abused, But a quick wash with some detergent and hot water when I got home has cleaned it back to brand new. Not even any scratches on the VG10.
I really couldn't ask for more.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Nice work, now you know.... Serrations, never leave home without them!

For me though my fav is the SE Millie, I'm sure an SE police will find it's way into my pocket some day though...

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome and nice writing. Glad to see someone USING their knives. That's what they are made for.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

Great story!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I am tempted to get one of these just to see the monster. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice story - thanks for sharing it. I've been tempted to order one, too. Anyone know if they're legal in Canada?

- best wishes, Jazz.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Yes, legal in Canada.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

FIMS wrote:Yes, legal in Canada.
Thank you sir. Can you tell me what the legal limit is? Haven't heard from you in a while, bro.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Jazz wrote:Thank you sir. Can you tell me what the legal limit is? Haven't heard from you in a while, bro.

- best wishes, Jazz.
There isn't one. :)
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Cool story man. Police was and probably will always be my favorite Spyderco. It has been in my pocket for many years (PE SS), and was used heavily over the years.
To the guys from Canada. I live in Toronto, and had a Native SS confiscated by the cops, about 8 years ago. The explanation I got was that, the blade is over 3" and it can be opened with one hand. After talking to my friends who are cops, I was told that 3" is the limit and one hand opener can be a problem even though the only officially illegal knives in Canada are automatics and balis. The paradox is that about 2 month ago I was working beside one officer and cut my apple in half with my Police. The reaction I got: holy s*&t man, where can I get one like this. :D
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

DiKa wrote:To the guys from Canada. I live in Toronto, and had a Native SS confiscated by the cops, about 8 years ago. The explanation I got was that, the blade is over 3" and it can be opened with one hand. After talking to my friends who are cops, I was told that 3" is the limit and one hand opener can be a problem even though the only officially illegal knives in Canada are automatics and balis.

I don't wish to sound anti-law-enforcement with this comment because I surely am not. However, there are definitely some cops who tend to make up their own laws on the spot. I think it's a bit like urban myths or something. They hear something, perhaps misunderstand it, but with the telling and retelling it somehow gains "truthiness" in spite of what the actual laws actually say.

Shame about your knife confiscation. Like you, I'd probably just give it over and not fight it. Some fights even if you "win," are not worth it.

Funny enough this thread is about the Police model because I want one. In my location (Texas, USA) I can carry up to 5.5" blades. But Dallas has a city ordinance or law restricting to 4", which the Police exceeds. I don't actually live in Dallas, so I'm fine. But I work in Dallas and often find myself in Dallas. So I'm a little dis-inclined to get a Police model even though the actual risk of being "caught" is negligible.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Great story Roan! I was never really into serrated edges until about 2 years ago (at the time I had never really used them much). Then I got a SE Dragonfly on a whim and ended up EDC-ing it regularly, used it for all sorts of cutting tasks, and have since added about 4 or 5 SE Spydies to my collection. As demonstrated by your story, they are great for cutting any sort of rope or cordage.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

There is no legal length here in Canada when it comes to the carry of fixed or folding knives.

The only thing you need to look at is whether it is made as a weapon ie" a Bayonet, or whether it is a cutting tool like an Endura.

I had a Police 3 and kick myself for selling it.

Get one if you can. you are good to go to carry this little saw.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php