Delica 4 Tip... How Strong is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Delica 4 Tip... How Strong is it?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Hey, My Delica 4 is my first spyderco and first FFG and I have seen pics of them on here stuck down in trees and other fairly hard objects, and was wonderin. How much abuse can they actually take? I find myself babying it. Thank You
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'd baby the tip. But the delica in general is a solid knife.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

The grind is fairly thin for great slicing performance, but it is thick enough so that it doesn't flex. Just don't pry with it and it will hold up well.

Post by 1623 »

I recall reading that the "bump" on the tip of the Delica was introduced to add strength, but as said, you certainly don't want to pry with a knife.

I would think that this addition may also make the tip even better for precise, delicate cutting applications as well.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

If just used for cutting it will be fine.
Spyder Count: 7
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Fine tips work great but you have to let the sharpness do the cutting. Edges too. If you white-knuckle it bad things can happen.

Regardless for most cutting tasks it's pretty stout. It's still relatively thick vertically.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

Use but dont abuse it and you will be fine.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think i've ever had a need to stab my knife into a tree/log/etc. But, the fact that the tip is thin wouldn't necessarily mean it would break just from that...just don't twist/pry with it at the same time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I agree with what everybody else has said. In fact, I probably baby mine more than I really have too, but I'm still getting used to the relatively thin FFG blade, having never owned one before. If you're interested on YouTube there is a video of somebody doing a "hard use test" on his Delica 4. The video quality isn't good, but the guy really gives the Delica a workout. The knife holds up remarkably well, considering the treatment that I would NEVER give to any folding knife, much less a smaller, relatively delicate knife like the Delica.