gb or sage 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife nut404

gb or sage 1

Post by knife nut404 »

which knife? it will be used for edc tasks and mabye a little food prep i am not worried about patina. never had a carbon fiber knife before so what is the diffrence compared to g10?
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
FMAKNut

Post by FMAKNut »

I have both and for me it just depends on what your typical EDC needs are. I think the Gayle Bradley is an outstanding value for what you get. It won't be as grippy as the textured G10 models that Spyderco offers. However you still get plenty of grip on both. Out of all the folders I have handled, my GB has the fastest opening. I can flick it open with my thumb nail without fail every time.

It feels much more substantial in construction than the Sage. Same goes with the liner lock between the two.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i wont be doing any hard use just cutting card board cutting some food gutting some fish just you every day stuff you need a knife for.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I've also got both. Both are very nice. For no particular reason, I think the GB is a bit more "elegant." It's certainly heavier. The GB is slicker than owl-poop to open. But, I've often said that if one could only choose ONE Spydie to own, the Sage 1 would be a good pick.

So, my answer to you is what I tell everyone trying to choose between two (or more)... Get both! :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would go GB if your willing to properly wash and lube the knife with a food grade oil after food prep. I think the blade steel will hold up better to an occasional bone and the extra length will be handy.

A Stretch FRN or Catcherman h1 (while it's still available) would be much better for food prep. Daily tasks any of them will do nicely.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i would but funds dont allow at this time.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I think it depends on what you want. The GB has a 1/2" longer blade but the knife is heavy. However, I don't think the weight is that big of a deal. I think the GB is a better knife and if you don't care about Patina it will be fantastic. I also love the Sage 1. Great knife. It's just not my bag. It's too "tall" from blade edge to spine for the short length for me. If I want something that short I'd rather have a Caly 3.

The CF handles are not as grippy as G10. I like this as they do not shred your pocket. I also think they have plenty of grip. I think they are just perfect. They are not smooth but they won't eat your pants either.

I say get the GB.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

what is the harm if you got some patina on the blade?
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1 on the GB
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

knife nut404 wrote:what is the harm if you got some patina on the blade?
As long as it's not rusting just the looks. Some force patina as a preventative measure. They end up with darkened blades.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

will rem gun oil keep rust away?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

No harm, just badassness!

heres my GB with a forced patina and stone wash

Get the GB, you will not be sorry!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

knife nut404 wrote:will rem gun oil keep rust away?
yes for a little while... tuff glide is the best for near permanent solution. A patina will keep rust away as well.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

how did you get that stone wash?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

GB without a doubt. The materials for the $ are beyond spectacular. And it will do anything the Sage will and more, way way more. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Plus it is better looking. :D
On the hunt for...
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i wear basketball shorts some times will this knife be to heavy in that clothing?
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i have herd that cpm m4 is really brittle and will snap quite easy is this true?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

knife nut404 wrote:i wear basketball shorts some times will this knife be to heavy in that clothing?
The GB weighs about 2.3oz more than a Sage 1. Is that too heavy for basketball shorts? Probably for me but I like my knives under 4oz. If I wanted a working knife and had to choose between the 2 it would still be the GB.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

k thanks does any one know if cpm m4 is brittle?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

knife nut404 wrote:i have herd that cpm m4 is really brittle and will snap quite easy is this true?
no... who told you that? No steel snaps "quite easily" that I know of, especially a TOOL STEEL. The toughness of M4 is pretty well known, so whoever said that was either really uninformed, or intentionally misleading you.

For the record I carry my GB, a blackberry, my wallet, and my flash light in one pocket of my b-ball shorts, and a Sig Sauer p238 pistol in the other pocket. If you want to carry something, you can. I have yet to have my edc gear pants me...