Kitchen Knives - More please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCDesigns

Kitchen Knives - More please!

Post by DCDesigns »

I am a fan of all things spyderco! I find that often I use my super blue mule in the kitchen for food prep instead of the dedicated kitchen knives I already have. However I find some tasks too large, or not suited for the mule, so I end up having to use a non- :spyder: knife as well...

The spyderco kitchen knives I see on the bay end up selling for a premium, and no one ever seems to have a complete set. Is it just me, or was spyderco's last kitchen knife disco'd a long while back? The ones I see appear to be somewhat older designs.

Given the strides forward spyderco has made in the areas of new steels and designs, I would love to see what they are capable of now!

I'd love to see a new set come out with some of the steels we have been raving about recently for food prep. Personally I'll take my whole set in Super Blue!!

What do yall think? what would you like to see?
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Honestly, I'd probably like any Spyderco designed kitchen knife, regardless of steel choice.
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

This has been talked about for a while. I believe Spyderco was looking into making a kitchen knife, but I'm not sure about the phase of development. I would love a kitchen knife in Super Blue with a nice ergonomic handle.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

captnvegtble wrote:This has been talked about for a while. I believe Spyderco was looking into making a kitchen knife, but I'm not sure about the phase of development. I would love a kitchen knife in Super Blue with a nice ergonomic handle.
they have made many over the years, just none recently that I could find. I think if spyderco brings a SB kitchen knife to market at a reasonable price, chefs will be eating them up!
justinl

Post by justinl »

I think I heard hushed mutterings of a kitchen line in 8Cr13MoV a few months back. I would LOVE to have a spyderco kitchen set gracing my kitchen since I missed out on their previous offerings. Maybe full tang FRN molded handles so the crafty ones can tear them off and make custom scales??? :) I know, I'm dreaming at this point. If I recall correctly, the logic was that it would be difficult to compete with the japanese kitchen knife offerings because there are so many options already out there. Economically, i think it would make more sense to fill the less occupied niche in the middle ground.
araneae

Post by araneae »

There was talk of a Chinese made set in the last year or two. I believe Sal also recently mentioned looking at BD-1 for kitchen knives, I assume that meant US manufacture, but they could always ship the steel offshore.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Now that you guys mention it, I think you're right. I do remember the discussion being about a middle-line kitchen knife and intentionally avoiding the high-end steels given difficulty competing with the Japanese blades already on the market.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

araneae wrote:There was talk of a Chinese made set in the last year or two. I believe Sal also recently mentioned looking at BD-1 for kitchen knives, I assume that meant US manufacture, but they could always ship the steel offshore.
If I understood correctly plans are to ship BD-1 to China.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian

Post by 1623 »

I'd like to see this as well.

I've been looking for a Yin and Yang set and found one or two, though they were bidding quite high.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bh49 wrote:If I understood correctly plans are to ship BD-1 to China.
That is my understanding as well.

sal wrote:We still think of the Chinese knives as lower cost pieces and what we can do with them at the price is not as felexible as working with some of our other makers.

We're working on BD-1 for a run of kitchen pieces.

sal
sal wrote:We're still in the process of geting the steel to the country. Once we have that accomplished, then we'll tool up the new handles, then begin production. Knives are already designed.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I cant wait my yin/yang combo with my old santoku are used more than any other spyderco I own.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I really enjoy my VG-10 Yangs. I own three. I would pass on a Chinese 8Cr13MoV kitchen knife, but would be interested in purchasing upscale kitchen knives from Spyderco.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

this i great news.
i hope it won't take too long before they hit the market, since my current kitchen knives is getting on my nerves.