How about a Dragonhawk Salt???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
d.2.the.p

How about a Dragonhawk Salt???

Post by d.2.the.p »

I can't imagine that this hasn't been mentioned countless times in this forum, but being that I'm still relatively new around here and couldn't find anything via the search feature, I wanted to throw an idea out there:

How about a Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt? Has anything such as this ever existed? If not, WHY NOT? There's a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, the Tasman Salt (comparable to the Delica/Salt I), and the Spyderhawk Salt (comparable to the Endura/Pacific Salt).

What about an SE Dragonfly-sized family member??? I would EDC the ish out of it!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

d.2.the.p wrote:I can't imagine that this hasn't been mentioned countless times in this forum, but being that I'm still relatively new around here and couldn't find anything via the search feature, I wanted to throw an idea out there:

How about a Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt? Has anything such as this ever existed? If not, WHY NOT? There's a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, the Tasman Salt (comparable to the Delica/Salt I), and the Spyderhawk Salt (comparable to the Endura/Pacific Salt).

What about an SE Dragonfly-sized family member??? I would EDC the ish out of it!
I dont think the dragonfly handle is right for a hawkbill. The blade would have to have a choil, and for some reason I just cant see it.
jossta

Post by jossta »

From this thread:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... y+hawkbill

For the record. I want one.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Jossta, that helps!

Only thing, what would it fold like. Thats my problem. The handle is so narrow, the recurve might go past the handle when closed.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah. I think that's why the renderer might the curve pretty slight. It does that on the Ladyhawk though and doesn't bother me. A dragonhawk salt in SE would be sooooo sweet.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Well the Tasman and Spyderhawk don't have the same exact handle as the Delica and Endura respectively, so maybe they could just modify the Dragonfly handle to accommodate the hawkbill?

Or would that be too much work since it would involve the production of an entirely new FRN handle?
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

A Dragonfly Hawkbill would be awesome! Count me in for buying at least two of them! Man this thread needs to keep going because I really am digging the idea of a Dragonfly Hawkbill!!

I already own two Salt Hawkbills and I also bought two of the Byrd Hawkbills as well. I gave away one of the Byrd Hawkbills though to my wife. She carries it as a backup EDC knife while she works.

The Ladybug Hawkbill is on my ever growing list of spydies that I plan on buying.

Great idea!
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

I would buy it
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

d.2.the.p wrote:Well the Tasman and Spyderhawk don't have the same exact handle as the Delica and Endura respectively, so maybe they could just modify the Dragonfly handle to accommodate the hawkbill?

Or would that be too much work since it would involve the production of an entirely new FRN handle?
I believe FRN molds are RIDICULOUSLY expensive...

Correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure they are like 300,000 apiece...
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

I would really love it if Spyderco made a knife like that.

Though, I probably ruined the chances of that knife being made for making that thread and post those two pictures of it. At that time, I didn't know the rules of posting idea pics like that.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Yep, I still want one of these bad boys!!!!!
GG

Post by GG »

d.2.the.p wrote:Well the Tasman and Spyderhawk don't have the same exact handle as the Delica and Endura respectively, so maybe they could just modify the Dragonfly handle to accommodate the hawkbill?

Who's saying anything about FRN? Why couldn't it be G-10, a single Ti liner, and a Ti clip? Probably not likely to happen because it would be a little expensive and a bit of a niche knife, but a lot cheaper to produce without the cost of a new FRN mold. I'll take 2... :cool:
gg
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Rutgrr wrote:I would really love it if Spyderco made a knife like that.

Though, I probably ruined the chances of that knife being made for making that thread and post those two pictures of it. At that time, I didn't know the rules of posting idea pics like that.
I think mock ups of mods to existing models are fine, since spyderco already holds all the patents involved. The issue comes with posting brand new designs.
jossta

Post by jossta »

DCDesigns wrote:I think mock ups of mods to existing models are fine, since spyderco already holds all the patents involved. The issue comes with posting brand new designs.
Beat me to it.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I made my own and submitted it to Spyderco about 5 years ago..
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
TomH

Post by TomH »

Dodge wrote:I made my own and submitted it to Spyderco about 5 years ago..
Very nice. I'd buy at least one and maybe several in H1.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

What did Spyderco say then? Also, will you try to resubmit your idea? I'm digging it a lot and I want one. I really, really want a Dragonfly Hawkbill!
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

spyderkoholic wrote:A Dragonfly Hawkbill would be awesome! Count me in for buying at least two of them! Man this thread needs to keep going because I really am digging the idea of a Dragonfly Hawkbill!!

I already own two Salt Hawkbills and I also bought two of the Byrd Hawkbills as well. I gave away one of the Byrd Hawkbills though to my wife. She carries it as a backup EDC knife while she works.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the Byrd Hawkbills satisfy compared to your Spyderco hawkbill models. The only hawkbill I own now is the Spyderhawk, which I'm almost afraid to EDC because if you ever open it in public it's a REALLY intimidating blade. I didn't realize just how much until I bought it. It really needs its own theme music or something because everytime I open it I feel like the grim reaper.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I love the Byrd Hawkbill! I got it for about $20.00 on Knifeworks.com and it is the same size as the Delica. This Hawkbill cuts through everything with no problems at all. It performs just like a smaller version of a Hawkbill and with the same results you would expect of a Spyderco Knife.

My wife uses her Byrd Hawkbill to cut through boxes and plastic wrappings at work. My wife's coworkers asked her about it and a few of them may be ordering Byrds too. IMO, if you like the Spyderhawk, I think you will enjoy the Byrd Hawkbill, especially the price!
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I joined this forum and the world of Spyderco ownership with a pretty deep prejudice against Chinese made items. But I want to try a couple Byrds out anyway. If anything, they would be good to have around for heavier usage. Thanks for your feedback, Spyderkoholic.