Need Help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bert T

Need Help

Post by Bert T »

1st Post

I need some help. That dang Spyderco spider bite me, and I think I am addicted. Would some of you that know tell what to use for an antidote? Just teasing, but I do think I am already addicted after only three Spydercos, a paramilitary 2 C81GP2, a Delica 4 C11PGRE, and on order a Spyderco Lum Chinese Folder Nishijin Carbon Fiber PlainEdge Knife.

I am a 75 year old retired Texas public high school math teacher that has carried and used knives since I was probably around 10 years old, but never had a Spyderco before.

I have owned and own some good knives, but that paramilitary 2 is the best knife for the money I have ever owned and used. I love it. There is just one thing wrong with it for me. It is a tad large for me for EDC. Hence, the Delica 4. Now that jewel is just right for me for EDC, and that ZDP 189 I think is going to be the steel. I have an Edge Pro Apex sharpener, and I sharpened it last night. Wow.

I ordered the Lum Chinese because it just looks like a beautiful knife to me, and I want to compare the VG 10 steel to the s30v and zdp 189 used in the other ones I have. It probably will be my EDC “show off” knife.

There are about 5 or 6 other Spydercos that I want to purchase, but I am going to have to space this out. My income is somewhat limited.

I want to thank you fellows and gals (if any) for your posts. I have been lurking as they say on this forum for about 2 months now, and the information I have gained about knives is enormous. After all these years, I now feel like I know a little about knives and the metal used in making them. Ya’ll keep up the good work.

Bert
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Bert,
Welcome to the Spyderco forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us and we're happy to have you.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

Welcome. You've been bit. You're in good company here. Most are afflicted to varying degrees!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

You could not have had a better start to such an awesome addiction! I think after I received my 8th spydie I told my wife I was done buying knives...how foolish of me!

Welcome to the forums, any questions you have will be answered by a lot of knowledgeable fellow addicts here. Enjoy.

Rock on.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome aboard! Always nice to have new company :)
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Welcome :)

Being spyder bit never felt so good. Not for the wallet, though lol

I have no regrets with my purchases.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

The only antidote is to lose your hands so you can't hold a knife, then legs, so you can't tape them on, then your mouth so you can't hold them in your mouth... then your head, so you can't wear it like a unicorn....
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
jossta

Post by jossta »

Welcome, sir. I agree about how good the para2 is. I think if you're in Texas, you need a Gayle Bradley :) .
Bert T

Gayle Bradley

Post by Bert T »

jossta, you must be reading my mind. The Gayle Bradley is next on my list. It more than likely will be my hunting, fishing, outdoor activities EDC knife.

Bert
jossta

Post by jossta »

stretch also seems up your alley. And I imagine you might like the upcoming Phil Wilson south fork. You might not want to talk to me too much, I may convince you to get more than 5 or 6 :) .
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Welcome Aboard!

If the Para2 is a little big for EDC, you may want to look at a Stretch or the Native 5. If it's more a question of weight vs mass maybe the new translucent Manix might be just the thing.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Bert - welcome to the Forum!

And thank you for your service to our nation. Teaching math is truly a noble profession!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jossta

Post by jossta »

SQSAR wrote:Welcome Aboard!

If the Para2 is a little big for EDC, you may want to look at a Stretch or the Native 5. If it's more a question of weight vs mass maybe the new translucent Manix might be just the thing.
Mmm. Native 5, he would like that methinks.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Bert T wrote:jossta, you must be reading my mind. The Gayle Bradley is next on my list. It more than likely will be my hunting, fishing, outdoor activities EDC knife.

Bert
+100

As a texan you owe it to yourself to get a GB. Your fellow statesman designed it! Not to mention its one of the best values spyderco has ever come out with. Twill cf, Cpm M4, all for around the price of a sage 1
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum Bert T :)

It's great to see even some of our elder respectable citizens are able to feel the bite of Spydervenom in their latter years. Just goes to prove that Spyderco's fugliness really doesn't just appeal to the insensibilities of the younger generation :p

Enjoy your stay Bert, and I hope you manage to find many many more Spydies that will bite you less.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hello Bert, welcome to the Forum. To answer your initial question is no easy task. How do you tell a patient that there is no known cure for the illness he/she carries. However, there is a great selfhelp and support group here as you might have noticed ;-)
At Spyderco we are well aquainted with Gayle Bradley, who we did a second collaboration with, the Gayle Bradley Air folder, a soon to be released, smaller gentleman's knife. We highly appreciate his easy going and upbeat character very much. Now, the CPM-M4 steel of the C134CF, altough being a powder metallurgic toolsteel, is very forgiving and needs only a minimum of care. Just wipe it dry after use and keep it clean like any other knife and you're safe.
Enjoy you Spyderco knives as you have more than enough experience with all the other knives you used in your life, to notice that you finally have arrived...
Thanks for joining us and sharing your enthousiasm.
Jurphaas
The Netherlands.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Bert. I don't understand this addiction that I have with Spyderco knives anymore than you do. It doesn't make sense, but I keep buying. It's too late to get off, so just enjoy the ride. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Bert :) You ordered the Lum Chinese for the same reason I ordered mine. It is a beautiful and classy knife, extremely good slicer with a very smooth action.

The Bradley is a big beefy, classy, exquisitely sharp out of the box knife. It's also silky smooth.

Great having you on the Forum :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Bert T, welcome to the forums and to the addiction! :D :D

I am at present telling myself I don't need an Edge Pro sharpener with diminishing success. I already have two Spyderco Sharpmakers, an old (40 degrees only) and a new one (30 and 40 degrees). And lots of other sharpeners, I believe it's called an addiction. :D
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

Welcome, Bert, from another newbie. The Para2 and Delica were in my first order too, and I love them. The Delica is perfect for EDC. Not showy, just practical.