"Ayoob" Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nicholls

"Ayoob" Folder

Post by Nicholls »

I read Vancook's article in TK Sept. issue. I'd handled one a few months back at one of our Ricmond Gun and Knife shows. I was skeptical. Last weekend I went out to another show with a thought maybe to give it another try. One of the venders had two for sale, one plain edge and other serrated totally. As I usually do, I walked around looking for other temptations but was drawn back by that certain feeling that you know. The vender agreed to take $10.00 off her price and I walked out with this really innovative folder. It " grows on you". If you are a "spydeholic" this is a must for your collection.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congrats on your new spidie. I was never tempted by that C60 as I am faithful to the 165° angle between the blade and the handles (see Vesuvius, for eg.).
BTW, this topic was better at the General Discusion Forum (IMHO).
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

What has made the Ayoob really grow on me, was when I added stair tread tape to the handle. With a much improved grip now, I can really enjoy the ergonomic's of this knife. In my opinion this knife strikes the best balance of slashing and thrusting ability of any folder, period.

Troy
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I have a serrated Ayoob "on the way" from a recent trade (it was sent-out yesterday!), and now I'm REALLY getting ANXIOUS to get this folder into my hand!

I have a question, 'tho; Just how slippery IS the Almite/aluminum handle? (I have never seen an "Ayoob", much-less ever handled one "in-person".). If the handle is really slippery, I have some "Agrip" that I can put on it.).

Dann Fassnacht Aberdeen, WA glockman99@hotmail.com ICQ: 53675663

Edited by - glockman99 on 7/30/2002 9:18:21 AM
Blade Santa Cruz

Post by Blade Santa Cruz »

Dann,

I got my SE version a few months ago at a really low price. (around $45, NIB) It turned out to be a much better knife than I expected. The handle is a little slicker than I'd like, particularly if there was blood and/or goo in the area. However, I've had worse handles. You can always tape it, I guess, but a non-slip handle surface would make it a really first-rate knife. The Agrip is a good idea.
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I was thinking how TOTALLY EXCELLENT the Ayoob would be if it had G-10 scales, and maybe even dual stainless liners, like my Chinook!

...Maybe even stretch the blade out to 4-5 inches...

And I have another question; How well does the Almite coating hold-up to wear/scratches?

Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

G-10 and SS liners, now you're talking!

Pachucks
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I received my Ayoob a couple of hours ago, and...WOW!! What a cool knife!! It's thinner than I thought it'd be, but talk about pure CLASS...

...Now, about the G-10 scales...

Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

A G-10 Revival would be interesting, but that would take some R&D.

Knife Knut on a shoestring budget. RKBA