How long did you wait?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

How long did you wait?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

I sent my delica 4 off to get sharpened Friday and it got there today. On average, how long of a wait is it to get it sharpened and sent back to north Carolina. I miss my knife haha.

Post by 1623 »

I recently sent three knives in; two together and one alone, about a week and a half apart. I received all three back the same day, exactly four weeks later and I missed them all while they were gone.

It's a busy time right now in Golden from what I understand, so hang tight and be patient. I made the comment in another thread that it is indeed true love when you look forward to a Spyderco knife returning home as much as you do the arrival of a new one :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

I know what you mean! :D SFO was great each time I sent a knife off. I would expect your knife back late next week or early the next. :eek:
Hopefully they aren't too busy!

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

1623 wrote: exactly four weeks later and I missed them all while they were gone.
Really !?! Four weeks ? :confused:

Post by 1623 »

BladePlay wrote:Really !?! Four weeks ? :confused:
Yes sir.

I believe I hit the peak of sharpening for hunting season.

The only other time I sent a knife in I had waited only two weeks; ship out to in my mail box.
-Jodi

Slash

Post by Slash »

glad I know how to sharpen my own knives.

Post by 1623 »

Slash wrote:glad I know how to sharpen my own knives.
I'm working on that and I'm really looking forward to learning. Only one of the knives I sent was in for sharpening; the others were for mild repair work.

I have zero issue with the time frame because the quality of what I received back was stellar.
-Jodi

ShawnKirkpatrick

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Oh wow!!, I sure hope it's not 4 weeks. But I plan on buying a sharpmaker. Then I dont have to send my baby off anymore. I have needed that thing the most since it has been gone.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote: I have needed that thing the most since it has been gone.
Ain't it the truth!! :) I ended up with a used sharpmaker and I love it!! :D

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sending a knife away for sharpening would demand that you own AT LEAST two knives. That's if you don't know how to sharpen a knife. But if you want to learn I think the first thing to practice is KEEPING and knife sharp. That way when you start with a sharp knife all you need to do is routine maintenance often. That will also ensure you always have a sharp knife. When sending knives away for sharpening I assume you wait as long as possible. That means there is a lengthly time of using a pretty dull knife. What you would need to start with in order is a strop then fine stone. After that get the tools that will remove more steel which is needed for sharpening knives that are DULL.

Here is a very good strop at a good price. You don't need anything expensive to re-charge it either. It just takes a little olive oil.

http://www.knivesplus.com/KP-STROP8-STROPBLOCK.html

If you use your knife regularly just use the strop as often as you need to maintain a good edge never letting it get dull.

Jack

Post by 1623 »

I've been reading up on sharpening methods and tools lately and was intrigued to find out that Balsa appears to be a fine stropping material also.

I'm curious to know if those who sharpen and strop regularly find this to be equal to, better, or worse than leather.
-Jodi

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

1623 wrote:I've been reading up on sharpening methods and tools lately and was intrigued to find out that Balsa appears to be a fine stropping material also.

I'm curious to know if those who sharpen and strop regularly find this to be equal to, better, or worse than leather.
Not better, not worse, just different. I haven't used balsa but have used soft wood treated with diamond paste. Also I've used cow hide and horse hide. Cow is soft, horse is harder and wood is hardest. For the first tool I'd go with soft leather. The harder the surface is the better it is for sharpening the very edge I think but not as effective at polishing the bevel. So it depends on what your needs are. But the softer leather will sharpen also so with cow hide you get both so that's the first to get. Personally I like the horse hide and leave wood alone but that's a person al preference. Here is a good place to buy leather:

Brettuns Village leather
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/piece_form.php

Fill out a form and describe what you want and they will give you a price. They communicate with you if you have questions so you end up with what you want. I've purchased from them twice and been VERY happy.

Jack