PARA 2 VS MANIX 2 - Which do you suggest as my first from Golden??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which do you suggest as a first knife from Golden?

Manix 2
20%
Para Military 2
80%

Total votes: 66

DCDesigns

PARA 2 VS MANIX 2 - Which do you suggest as my first from Golden??

Post by DCDesigns »

I have realized recently my utter lack of US made folding :spyder: 'S in my (relatively) small group of users. Ive never owned one :eek: . Ive carried knives for decades, but just got the bug this year, and Ive got it bad!

I see a whole lot of Seki city tang stamps, and a bunch from Taichung, but no folders marked " , Earth". When I first started buying :spyder: 's I paid little attention to where they were made. Just by chance (and well, probability of course), most of the models I wanted at first were from Japan. More recently Taichung has knocked my socks off with some of their offerings, and I just cant seem to get enough. I have decided my Gayle Bradley is going to be my last import until I get something U.S. made (then its straight back to japan to snap up a Caly 3.5 super blue before they are gone)

The question I pose to you: which would you suggest as a first? A Manix 2, or a Para 2? *I WILL buy both eventually

Regardless it will most likely be a sprint run no matter which I choose. I want something for a hard use knife, and since both of those knives have very strong locks, I think either would serve admirably. Im wavering between the BBS m4 manix, and a 20cp para, but im open to suggestions.

Any responses as to why you prefer one over the other, and which sprint run I should shoot for would be greatly appreciated. (dont say s90v, I cant afford second hand market prices on that sh*t)

Also if you have both, a comparison photo between the two, and say a GB or something would be fantastic!!! I appreciate all imput! Take care yall -DC
SDR

Post by SDR »

The Para 2 was my first Spydie. I love it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Neither are in my top ten list, both have features I dislike. However, if forced to choose, I'd suggest the Manix 2 if you're left handed and the PM2 if you're right handed.

Personally, I'd recommend the Native V. Full ambi with four way clip mount options, full flat grind, a comfortable, but not overly large, grip area, interesting steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will second Paul with Native5 suggestion. It is terrific knife and my favorite from Golden. It is in my top 5 Spyderco ever made.
From your list I would choose Para2. I found compression lock is easier to operate that cbbl, the blade is little longer, knife is lighter, and I prefer the look of para2 to M2. Both knives have great ergos.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

It's funny how we are all different. The Para 2 and Manix 2 are both in my top ten, However, the Para 2 is in my top 2. The Manix is an awesome knife, a very shout and beefy knife, which is both good and bad. Not a bad bad, but it is such a beast that it it is much heavier and more noticeable in the pocket. The Para 2 is lighter, thinner, but an equivilent cutter. Both have a great feel in the hand. You can't go wrong, and like you said, you will end up with both. ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd have to say Manix for sure. The dimensions are nearly the same as the Para2, great ambi lock, and a very stout blade. Just a fist full of awesome.
On the hunt for...
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

I voted Manix for a lot of reasons, not least that I find the comp lock a tiny bit uncomfortable in use. Both outstanding knives, of course.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

While I like the Para-2 over the Manix-2 as an EDC knife, I'd take the basic 154CM Manix-2 for a dedicated hard-use knife. The reasons for me are simple, in that the Manix is less pricey (in the base model) and it offers the sabre grind, leaving more steel in comparison to a flat grind.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

If you plan on getting both eventually I'd say you will be good to go. The Para2 and Manix2 (and the Military) are the only designs I have multiples of because they are two of my favorite Sypderco designs.

Para2: Very light weight, and great ergos. A little pricy compared to the Manix, but the FFG makes it a wicked slicer.

Manix2: Beefy, but not prohibitively so for EDC. Probably the most value-packed folder in the entire Spyderco lineup. 154CM steel, , ,what's not to love about that (takes an edge easily, and holds it very well)

Setting here writing this, I can honestly say I don't know which I like better. I will say my Paras get more pocket time because I often wear dress slacks to work and the light weight is better in that capacity. When I'm wearing BDUs to work my Manixs' get more pocket time.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Para 2. Both are great hard use knives but I find the jimping on the Manix 2(all over) not as comfortable over the long haul.

If the Manix 2 did not have so much jimping it would be a toss up.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

My vote is for the ParaMilitary 2. This is definitely a toss up, though, because I love the Manix 2 (as long as it isn't the production model with the ugly hollow grind blade), but the Para 2 is an almost perfect knife- great ergos, great size and weight, great blade steel, grippy g-10, and boy does it look mean :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

In lieu of a thousand words...

StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I love both of these knives, but go with the Para2. It is really one of my favorite Spydies to date.
Vic
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No question... Para 2. Get one in 20CP while you can.
:bug-red-white
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

A lot of the previous posters were comparing the regular production M2 and Para 2 when talking about weight and grind. For your purposes though (being interested in sprint runs), they're pretty similar. Both would be FFG and since the sprint Manixes have skeletonized liners, they actually would be pretty close in weight. My vote is for the Manix 2 because I find it to be slightly easier to open and close.
BAL

Post by BAL »

ricechrispy wrote:A lot of the previous posters were comparing the regular production M2 and Para 2 when talking about weight and grind. For your purposes though (being interested in sprint runs), they're pretty similar. Both would be FFG and since the sprint Manixes have skeletonized liners, they actually would be pretty close in weight. My vote is for the Manix 2 because I find it to be slightly easier to open and close.
Welcome ricechrispy.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Thanks, BAL.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had them both...to me it was no contest. The Para 2 even being a bit more expensive is just in a class of its own. I actually traded my Manix 2 for a Para 1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Thanks for all the suggestions yall!, but this is still going to be a hard decision! Welcome ricecrispy, you made some great points. I WILL be going with a sprint, so it WILL be a FFG manix with skeletonized liners.

That 20cp version of the para sure is tempting! So is some more M4 though, Ive been in a non-stainless mood recently having bought the GB and a Super blue mule.

The Native V, while im sure its a great knife, is not something that interests me. I have plenty knives around that size, and Im not looking for another back lock. I want something a little bigger, and with a lock that I have not yet experienced (CBBL, and compression lock are two Ive never tried) Also if Im honest, the Native is my least favorite knife spyderco has ever made. The FFG one isnt that bad looking, but good lord is the original with the swedge hideous. I know that might loose me a friend or two, but its how I feel. Also, I dont like delicas... :rolleyes:

Leaning toward the para right now, However I do like the CBBL alot in concept, and it does seem easier to open and close. I am covered pretty well for EDC (I carry smaller knives around town), so the knife I choose doesn't have to be slim, or light weight. I intend to buy a small Sebbie soon, and I doubt it will be leaving my pocket when I get it.

I sell wood for a living. I cut, transport and process that wood from tree to plank, so I guess I am a self-employed lumber jack of sorts. Just throwing that out there because people are always making the statement that they "dont need a super duty knife, because they arent a lumber jack." Well, I am, and I do. So what should it be? - ps I already usually have my m390 mule on me too, so dont say fixed blade :) .
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I voted Para 2, though both are in my top 3. I favor the compression lock over the BBL. Pics: