Para2 Detent Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hunterseeker5

Para2 Detent Ball

Post by hunterseeker5 »

So while flicking my CTS-20CP sprint (yes Blerv) it occurred to me that the feel of the movement of the ball against the steel just seemed too hard and smooth to be steel. Peering inside it looks like the ball detent is black. Is spyderco using silicon nitride, or some other ceramic, bearing balls for this now? If they are I'd be super super pleased and impressed. Just one more bit of evidence that the spyderco para2 is the best knife from the best company........
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Nothing? Nobody knows anything? Not even someone who stripped their para2?
STWesterner

Post by STWesterner »

i'm actually having problems with mine grinding on the 20cp model, but only when the detent is touching the blade, yikes. what gives?
BAL

Post by BAL »

hunterseeker - I could never bring myself to take the Para2 apart. Someone will answer though.

STWesterner - When I first got mine it was a little tight. I just kept opening it over and over and it is smooth as silk now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Consider how much surface area of the ball is touching the blade..there's very little friction happening there. Even if metal to metal friction happened it wouldnt take much lube at all to eliminate it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Yeah if you're getting grinding it means either you have a steel detent and its unlubricated, or you broke a ceramic ball and it'll slowly eat your blade tang....... not sure which is worse. If lubrication doesn't eliminate it you MIGHT want to either open it up or send it back to SFO for a good once over.
STWesterner

Post by STWesterner »

hey thanks didn't think of that
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Can't believe "flick" made it past my daily search prowl ;) .

As for the smoothness, can't help you. I always assumed they were lightly lubricated and just spun being bearings. I have honestly no clue but good question.
log man

Post by log man »

The ball bearing doesn't spin, but is hard and slides smoothly on the hard blade surface. I have found some liner locks to be too hard to open for my preference, and some have a hard spot right after you release the blade to close as the ball climbs the corner. I modify both areas of the blade to facilitate easier opening and closing.

LOG