What SE Spyderco would you recommend?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

If I were you, something in H1. When H1 is serrated, it's supposed to be on par with VG-10, I think someone did a comparison awhile back. So if you get H1 with serrations, that's essentially having a VG10 blade that will never rust. And the prices are around the same too.

For me, I would get the pacific. But it's your money/choice in the end.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Salt 1. The combination of H1, serrated edge, and light weight have made this my EDC for the past six years.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Minibear453 wrote:If I were you, something in H1. When H1 is serrated, it's supposed to be on par with VG-10, I think someone did a comparison awhile back. So if you get H1 with serrations, that's essentially having a VG10 blade that will never rust. And the prices are around the same too.

SE H1 has cut longer than any steel Spyderco has tested. That means it trumps ZDP-189, CPM-S90v, and all other steels when Sal said it. Not sure how it stacks up to future alloys but its safe to say SE H1 will cut twice as long as PE VG10.

We really need a head-bang rocker emoticon. :)
JD Spydo

Not an easy answer because there are several

Post by JD Spydo »

Wow!! this thread got interesting in a very quick hurry :cool: Several of these suggestions I agree with. However it does bring me back to 1995 when I got my very first Spyderco which was a GIN-1, SE Mariner stainless handle. It's still one of my most sentimental favorites.

But since then I do have some suggestions of Spyderedged Spyders that I have used extensively and I will list them: First and foremost I love Hawkbills in SE and my favs there are the Spyderhawk and my G-10 Harpy.

When it comes to standard blades there have been some excellent suggestions but the 2 I agree with the most are the SE Native and the SE Military. As the one brother put it the Golden Colorado made serrations are superior in many ways and they tend to float through fibrous materials much better.

But SE Hawkbills are beasts and if blade length isn't a problem go with the H-1 Spyderhawk. It is a shark of a knife :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I will agree with JD and personally pick the H-1 Spyderhawk if I only had to pick one. A shout out also to a fully serrated Endura. I have used one like a normal person would use a coping saw and it worked like a champ. The Tenacious SE is also a quality value blade that I regularly abuse, (but in a good way).
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ah true, the salts passed my head.....salt 1 :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

You really can't go wrong with a SE Salt 1, but I think I'd go with a full SE Native. The thin grind makes it a good cutter and it has a nice pointy tip. Personally I abhor partially serrated blades, too little teeth and too little PE in my opinion. I´d go with either full SE or full PE.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
bchan

Post by bchan »

Thank you all for your helpful replies, it's particularly reassuring that when you ask for a recommendation of a serrated knife you are not ridiculed, such as -- 'why bother to get a SE model when your (inept) sharpening will turn it into a PE anyway?'

I've now made my decision. I'm going to buy three serrated models instead of one, though my finances prevent me to buy these all at the same time.

My very first model will be a Salt 1, because so many people recommended it.

My next purchase will be a serrated Manix, so as to have a beefier knife than the Salt, and also to see the difference between the Seki and Golden serrations.

My third model will be a serrated hawkbill, either a Spyderhawk or a Tasman Salt, to see how a combination of SE and a hawkbill work out.

Thanks again.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bchan, I think you have three winners there :)

While Spydies with teeth aren't for everyone they are exceptional working knives. The edges stand up well and typically come hair-popping sharp.

Let us know your thoughts please once they arrive!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Salt 1
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Although I tend to avoid serrated blades myself, I bought a serrated Salt 1 for my brother in law a couple years ago for Christmas and he has used that little knife hard and really seems to love it.

It's definitely a winner for lightweight handy utility. I recently sharpened it for him for the first time since he isn't a knife nut and boy did it look like he put that thing to good use... Haha!
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Now how about a Salt 1-sized SE in H-1 with a jimped choil? Bigger than a D-fly but with a blade at 3" or just under and with a handle in lime green or orange FRN...
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Great thread! I'm looking into the same thing myself.

Which serrated edge knife has a relatively thin handle, like the Caly?

I don't like the really thick handles like the Para 2, and I hear the Manix also has a thick handle. I presume the FRN of the Salt and Pacific Salt would be somewhat thin, also because they are lockbacks?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Shakyamuni wrote:Great thread! I'm looking into the same thing myself.

Which serrated edge knife has a relatively thin handle, like the Caly?

I don't like the really thick handles like the Para 2, and I hear the Manix also has a thick handle. I presume the FRN of the Salt and Pacific Salt would be somewhat thin, also because they are lockbacks?
all the salt's are pretty thin. anything with Frn and a lock back - you are correct, using a back lock allows the designer to position the locking mechanism in line with the blade, minimizing thickness.
19cohiba75

Post by 19cohiba75 »

I am not big on SE but I have seriously been eying The Spyderco Assist :) Great all around use type of knife with almost full SE with a lil bit of straight edge. Can be used like scissors to cut rope and has a carbide tip to break windows if need be. Plus it has a neat whistle all in one knife :D Seen the orange in person and they are bright :cool:
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Minibear453 wrote:If I were you, something in H1. When H1 is serrated, it's supposed to be on par with VG-10, I think someone did a comparison awhile back. So if you get H1 with serrations, that's essentially having a VG10 blade that will never rust. And the prices are around the same too.

Pretty far off there buddy... when H1 is serrated, it's supposed to be on par with lazer beams :D
JD Spydo

The ASSIST: One of Spyderco's true unsung heros

Post by JD Spydo »

19cohiba75 wrote:I am not big on SE but I have seriously been eying The Spyderco Assist :) Great all around use type of knife with almost full SE with a lil bit of straight edge. Can be used like scissors to cut rope and has a carbide tip to break windows if need be. Plus it has a neat whistle all in one knife :D Seen the orange in person and they are bright
The ASSIST 1 is a great model. It's probably one of the most overlooked utility Spyders ever made other than the stainless handled Rescue model that I so dearly love.

The ASSIST could literally get you by all the way depending on what you're up against. It would also make sense to get the one with the nuclear orange handle for it to be easy to locate under bad circumstances. I love the utility abilities of the ASSIST and I think it's a blade that every first responder should have.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would go with a Cricket in SE. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Delica, Tasman, or Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE would be good choices.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Cricket or Dragonfly for a small knife. I love my ZDP Endura for a big SE knife.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple