Para 2 G-10/Scale odditiy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lefty923

Para 2 G-10/Scale odditiy

Post by Lefty923 »

While obsessing over my Para 2 today it really sunk home how much more counter sunk the screws on one side are than the other. Is any one else experienced this? I know it's probably purely cosmetic, but I'm curious if the scales are machined or hand drilled. Are they done in house or farmed out? I'll try to take some pics tomorrow to show the differences.

Thoughts?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't have a Para 2 yet, so can't comment on the evenness, but I'm pretty sure all the work is done in house.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Yeah, same with the Manix 2. Not sure why. Doesn't really affect anything except aesthetics.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have two and both of mine seem to be pretty much the same on both sides.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Come Join Us Click Here
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

Exactly! Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Counter sunk.

Flush.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I have 2 PM2 and on both teh screws are flush. For me this looks like a production problem.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I would think (but don't know) that the holes are drilled by machines with auto depth stops pre-set. Maybe they were set incorrectly at the beginning of a production run, then corrected when it was noticed. This seems like the most likely possibility to me, the person who knows as little about it as anybody.

Another possibility though unlikely is they got some G-10 that was slightly thicker. Then the holes would be drilled deeper if measuring from the top but the same measurement would be taken from the bottom of each scale.

My concern on the scales with deeper holes is the thickness of the material under the screw head. If the G-10 is the same thickness (I bet it is) then the G-10 under the screw head will be thinner on the scales with deeper screws. The question is, is it thin enough to be weak, especially on the pivot screw where you may be adjusting the pivot tightness.

Frapicide mentioned his Manix2 was the same way. I have the tan handle Manix2 and both sides are the same.

Jack
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

Ya think this is something Sal and Co should be alerted to? I don't want to come off as a whiner. But if I were in charge of production and qc I would want to know.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I have my black satin Para 2 in front of me and the screws are flush. Also have the orange G10 Manix 2 and the screws on both sides are sunk in. The sprint Manix 2 with BD30P has one side deeper than the other.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

It sounds to me like this issue while not the end of the world is more common than realized. I doubt if anyone needs to "bring it to Splyderco's attention" since they are involved in this forum enough to now be aware of the situation. Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't already know about it. If/when a few slip through I'll bet adjustments are made quickly during a production run. Also, if the depth of the holes were a real problem I think they would be held back for the annual 2nds sale in Golden. I'd LOVE to get a para2 for about $25 with slightly deeper screws. :D

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine all appear to be somewhere between those two...not exactly flush, just a very slight counter sink.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

All the screws sit flush on my para2.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

Sounds like a variable tolerance in machining.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Mine are perfectly flush on both sides. Hope it doesnt bother you too much that you cant enjoy the performance of a great knife.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

All the screws on my 20CP and CF Para 2s are flush. The screws on my black G-10 Para 2 are slightly more sunken on one side. But, it's so slight, I've never noticed it before. I can't imagine this could cause any real problems.
:bug-red-white
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

It's not a deal breaker, but if it's something Spyderco doesn't know about I'm more than happy do to my part and let them know. I seriously doubt its a problem. Just odd.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Lefty923 wrote:It's not a deal breaker, but if it's something Spyderco doesn't know about I'm more than happy do to my part and let them know. I seriously doubt its a problem. Just odd.
And Sal constantly says that he appreciates people chiming in to let them know about things like this, as they can't improve if they don't know that the problem exists.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com