SFO Fall Factory Seconds sale??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monkeywrangler

SFO Fall Factory Seconds sale??

Post by Monkeywrangler »

As November rolls near, my thoughts turn to the hope that there will again be a Fall SFO Seconds sale...I hope that there will be such, even if I cannot attend. If there is, and if anyone from DFW is going, let me know...

MW
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

What surprised me last year was that I didn't get any notice from Spyderco of the sale despite making a number of SFO purchases. Is it only the SFO customers who make purchases while physically at the store who are notified and not the phone and internet customers?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

DANGIT... I knew I should have lived in colorado... :(
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I'm spending Thanksgiving in Boulder, so I will definitely be making a pilgrimage to SFO while I'm there (my first!). It would be just awesome if it happened to be around the same time.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I should be in Denver the weekend of November 18th, so I'm hoping Spyderco will do what they did last year and have it the weekend before Thanksgiving.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Per Sal, here, on BladeForums
Right now, it's looking like we won't have one this year. There really aren't enough 2nd's saved in the past year to serve the group that would attend. We also had some issues that were expressed after the last one and we'll need to find some solutions. Sorry.

sal
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Deacon wrote:Per Sal, here, on BladeForums
On the plus side, that gives me more time to save up money so that maybe I can go!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I could solve the problem.

If I worked on the production line I guarantee there would be plenty of factory seconds every year.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

It was pretty ridiculous last year. Some people dropped 1-2k and then turned around and sold almost everything that they bought online for 2, 3, even 7 times more then they paid!
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Donut

Post by Donut »

I agree that it was surprising seeing knives marked as flawed, with no warranty being sold on forums and ebay at 90% of the street price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I was thinking about this last year and in reading this thread I just had a great idea for making the sale more fun for Spyderco lovers and less fun for speculators:

Buying up to 3 knives - marked price
Buying 4 to 6 knives - marked price + 10%
Buying 6 to 9 knives - marked price + 20%
Buying 9 to 12 knives - marked price + 30%
Buying 13 to 15 knives - marked price + 40%

Some of the resold knives, for example regular Militaries, were sold on ebay for zero profit after sales tax and ebay fees. The Cats and Chicagos were the ones that sold at a high multiple of their $10 cost. I think a scheme like the above would be simple and take the profit out of reselling.

If Spyderco would let us know what models were being sold at what price ahead of time we could alert them to the ones whose high ebay prices would attract speculators and those could be one to a customer, or simply have their prices raised.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Sequimite wrote:I just had a great idea for making the sale more fun for Spyderco lovers and less fun for speculators
I LIKE it!

Gordon
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sequimite wrote:I was thinking about this last year and in reading this thread I just had a great idea for making the sale more fun for Spyderco lovers and less fun for speculators:
Genius!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I went last year. I went very early and thought I had a good place in line. I was wrong. The first 5% of the line in the door filled their carts with everything, then went into a corner to pick through their pile and throw back the rejects. I left only buying 1 knife. I won't go back. Not worth the time and frozen toes. I can't compete with the folks willing to camp overnight to horde everything in the store.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

jtoler_9 wrote:I went last year. I went very early and thought I had a good place in line. I was wrong. The first 5% of the line in the door filled their carts with everything, then went into a corner to pick through their pile and throw back the rejects. I left only buying 1 knife. I won't go back. Not worth the time and frozen toes. I can't compete with the folks willing to camp overnight to horde everything in the store.
Maybe the best way to handle this is to limit purchases to 3 or 4 knives per person, with the option of getting in the back of the line if you still want more.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I think spyderco should sell the seconds directly online themselves,with quantity limits. -perhaps thats only because I can never justify flying to colorado to buy rejected knives.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I went last year for my first time and had nearly the same experience as Jtoler 9. I'm fairly certain that I won't go back either.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Stinks to hear, hope the Spyderco Crew can come up with a solution.
Come Join Us Click Here
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Qcrazy wrote:I went last year for my first time and had nearly the same experience as Jtoler 9. I'm fairly certain that I won't go back either.
+2 It was a poor use of my time and gas. If they change things, I could get excited about going again.

Gordon
Donut

Post by Donut »

That is a great idea Sequimite. That or a limit of 10 knives per purchase might make it more reasonable.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!