Got to get this off my chest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:Well put Kristi. Sounds like a perfectly honest straight forward response to me.
Agreed, and not to throw this thread off alittle but does spyderco offer any kind of standing military/leo/firefighter/ems discount as benchmade does (i believe benchmades is 30%.) just wondering since we sorta on the subject. Lol, ps spyderco, I will be posting a thread relating to fire and ems later tonight when I get off work.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I am quite confident that there are many Rangers who are members of this forum. However, I have never heard one be as verbose about their quals as you have been. I am also equally confident that there are a number of disabled vets on this forum, , , and I can not recall any of them being as open in their attempts to get a discount out of the company as you've been.

Part of what I value in the affiliations I have with the units with which I've served is the spirit of selfless service that manifests itself during the trials and tribulations one invariably endures while there; and the extreme sense of pride, loyalty, and brotherhood one feels towards those brothers who have shed both blood and sweat together. To honor those who have come before them, and to set the standard for those who will follow

That said, Ranger, my advice to you would be this: If your credentials are what you claim them to be, then I am asking you as a brother to be more discreet in the knowledge of your service, and understand that your less than admirable behaviors are reflecting negatively on us all.

Also, I've met Kristi several times in person, and I can say I've seen nothing but the best representation of Spyderco, and I for one applaud her efforts to effectively vet the claims of people who may be the 'real deal,' , but are acting much more like a PX hero.

Sua Sponte.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Drkknight,
Yes we do. Please e-mail me at khunter @ spyderco.com (remove spaces) and I'll send you the details on Monday.

Stay safe.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

ranger51,

I do not know who you are, but I will not hestitate to say that you are not what you claim to be. Maybe this is too harsh for this forum, but you sir are a fraud. I am a 20 year vet of the navy and the only time I hear people make claims to fame, as far as being in "black operations" is when they are lying. I have never met anyone, in the spec op community, who ever came out and said they were a part of that special breed, past or present tense.

I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some folks from the Naval Special Warfare and the Army Rangers and Special Forces and none of them would have ever done what you did. I am NOT a former member of the Special Forces, I was just a sailor who was doing his job.

Now having been around some of them, I can certainly raise the "BS" flag, whenever someone is trying to fly it. I do not know how many "Navy Seals" and "Green Berets" I have met out of uniform and I tell them all the same thing..."you sir are lying to me."

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm not, either way, if you truly are a former member of that small community, than shame on you for acting this way. Simply do what is requested of you and maybe Spyderco will provide you with a discount. Afterall, how many LIARS are out there doing the same thing you're doing? A LOT! I for one, applaud Spyderco for making someone provide some type of proof of their service. It makes perfect business sense to me.

GO NAVY!
angusW

Post by angusW »

If you were in the service ranger51 then my hat is off to you but put yourself in their shoes. Anyone can say they served but if you can't prove it then how are they suppose to know you really did serve. In the couple of years that I've been here I've seen Spyderco give knives to different people for different reasons. From what I've seen they treat people very well. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Hopefully you can prove to Spyderco with those documents that you did serve and I'm sure they will treat you as well as other vets.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I would normally keep quiet, but this time, not...

Men and woman who have been involved in so called "Black Ops", do not go around telling others of their involvement, real men and woman, that is...secrets are by the very nature of the meaning of the word, secret...

Like others have said, you can be whoever you want to be on the Internet...

Someone on another forum once said that on the 'Net, 12 year olds are FBI agents or fighter pilots, but cannot tell anyone their service details, because there arn't any...

Ranger, I might actually believe that you are/were a Ranger, and I respect you for your service...

You might even have been more than a Ranger, and the same respect applies...

...but please do not whine here, and bring down the good name of those that still serve?

You deserve them and yourself more respect...
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Slash

Post by Slash »

Writing Benchmade a.s.a.p. hoping to get a competition chopper. I think they could have directed you to somewhere you could have received a nice discount. With or without proof of service. Maybe that wasn't what Taz was looking to do...give a discount. But in fact just send you a knife as Benchmade did.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

DedRok wrote:Heres another story...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50949
Good grief, what kind of idiot keeps so many of the same stupid details in his new scam? I hope this alleviates any doubt people may have had about this guy's authenticity.

Mr. Ghost Recon, "high speed low drag" "I watch wayyy too much 24" will have to go somewhere else to peddle his BS stories.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

U.S. Code Title 18 § 1343. FRAUD BY WIRE, RADIO, OR TELEVISION

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

This is certainly an eyebrow raising thread.

Before I say anything, I express my gratitude to anyone who's served in the military and LEO/Fire/EMT services.

I don't think there's any questions regarding Spyderco's commitment in supporting the members of our military. But the truth of the matter is, there are unscrupulous individuals who ride on the coattails of others and portray themselves as veterans or active servicemen. As a result, it only make sense to make sure that we take precaution against scams. I don't believe Spyderco made any unreasonable demands here, just the same sort of documentation any LEO or MIL needs to provide for the offered discounts.

I also don't think this has anything to do with marketing or PR. It's a well known fact that Spyderco offers discounts to certain types of professionals. This is just one person airing his displeasure towards Spyderco in public, looking for support.

I feel for anyone who's had their property stolen and am outraged about the crime. But I don't agree with this sense of entitlement. To try and shame Spyderco in public is rather pathetic.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Team Sergeant

Post by Team Sergeant »

ranger51 wrote:As many of the members who know me, know that I served in the military for many years. I was an Ranger who opted not to go to a Ranger Batt. and insted went on thru many other military schools, then opted to serve in small units, mainly doing Black operations. I worked with 7th SOG, 5th SOG, and other small teams within the military. I am now a disabled Vet. working to get all, the politics of the financial part of things worked out. After I pay my bills each week, I live off of 40.00
Just prior to leaveing my last deployment, I had a number of knives stolen from me. Two were my favorites. My Black G-10 Manix with a flat ground blade, a caly three which since hasbeen replaced by a good friend here. Also stolen was my Benchmade Rift. I wrote to both Benchmade, and Spyderco, and asked if I could possibly get some sort of a discount so that I could replace them as I don't have much to spend at the moment.
Today I got a brand new Rift in the mail from Benchmade. I never expected that at all as I only had asked for a discount. Along with the knife, I also got a very nice letter thanking me for my service. On the other hand, Spyderco finally wrote me back. They wanted everything short of DNA to prove that I had in fact been in the military, and done the jobs that I had done. I explained everything to them, sent all the documents that I had on hand. Keep in mind that I was only asking for some sort of discount so I could replace my stolen knife. They wrote back, told me that they knew all kinds of Rangers, and SOG personal, and did not belive me at all. I had even sent a photo of myself in my Dress blues. I basicly was told to go P--s up a rope.
I held a Top Secret clearence, did things that only the top brass was aware of, so of course Spyderco would not, and could not be told or known of these things. I feel that they could have handled the sitsuation a bit better than they did. A simple no" we can't give a discount would have been accepted and understood. But I guess that they know everthing there is to know about the military and felt it nessassary to make me feel very hurt.
I do want to send a big Thank you to the member who replaced my caly3 for me. It ment a lot. Espessally the hand written note that came with it thanking me for my service to our Country. That was very heart warming, and I will keep it until I pass away. I'm sure that Spyderco will rebute what I have written here, and I totaly expect it. A simple no to a discount would have been fine. I feel that they handled this matter totaly unproffessionaly. (please excuse my spelling). To all you Veterans who are members here.. Thank you so very much for your service and sacrifice. I'll probably get banned from this site, oh well. At least I made some friends here and have thier e-mail addresses.
Hi I'm new here! I'm here because I really like Spyderco knives!

And Wow I never thought I'd also find "Black-Op's" buddies on this forum!

Ranger51 we need to talk! OMG, you and I could have been on some missions together! You and I know how classified these Black-op mission are, so much so we cannot even talk to each other while conducting them! 5th SOG! (I was also in 5th, but cannot remember what SOG stood for again? Could you remind me?)

Lost your knives on your last deployment huh, yeah I hate that. I'm surprised you were allowed to employ real knives. On my last black-ops mission we had to use "paper" knives, cause if we lost one they could never be traced to us black-ops types.

Hey you weren't on that black-ops mission to get Osama were you? I know the Special Operations community said it was SEALS, but after reading that you were in 7th SOG I'd imagine you guys would have been asked first, right? Is it true you guys never really "retire"? I have so many questions, I hope you stick around so I can learn from one of the "masters".

Team Sergeant
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Edit: My 2 cents not needed. Stick a fork in this thread, it's done.
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

ranger51 hellloooo ranger51. "cricket, cricket"

This thread will self destruct is 3 - 2 - 1.
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
justinl

Post by justinl »

one of the coolest things about this forum is that I have the privilege of talking knives with some very cool people including veterans as well as soldiers still in service. I don't personally know anyone who has served, so getting to directly thank these venerated individuals here is a rare opportunity. Now, if you are indeed someone who has served, then my heartfelt thanks is yours. If not, then to put on a mask of one of these people and try to save a few bucks is just disgusting. How many men and women have shed blood and even given up their lives for YOU? Have you no shame? No honour at all? I hope you reconsider the path your life has taken and initiate some change. Otherwise, the world would be far better without your brand of scum.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, I wanna add my 2 cents, so here.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

As is so often the case, it's hard to add anything to what you've said, Joe.
The Mastiff wrote:Funny, I've never seen or heard of any of the Spyderco crew being rude or disrespectful to anybody. If you couldn't come up with proof, why would you expect them to help you.

To be honest, I've never known any former "black ops" soldiers that spoke or acted like you in private much less in public. You typically don't get bragging about what they did. Some are rightly proud of their units heritage as are some in the infantry, armor, cav,etc.

Did you provide a DD214 that backed up what you said listing the schools and MOS's you claim.

The Rangers do an "adventure training" type course. I have seen many claim Ranger tab status after taking that course.

When I was in you couldn't

You went where assigned and volunteered for schools, waiting until selected for these schools. Some of them take years to get.

You may not be aware of how closely Spyderco and some of the employees are to the military. Even to the "top brass" as you put it.

Even if, and that's a big if until I saw your DD214 personally, you did achieve what you state I still don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from.

With lines like this you sound more like a child than a vet much less one with the achievements you lay claim to.

In the army I was in you wouldn't have made it through the chow line with such delicate sensitivities.

Joe
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

You know I won't judge whether or not Ranger is a actual Ranger or not. What bothers me is these are just knives. Stolen , burnt up or whatever. save your dough. Buy a new one and get over it. You want a discount go to the Cutlery Shoppe like the rest of us when saving money really matters or go shop the knife forums. While your helping yourself to get a discount you can help another knife enthusiast out by buying theirs. Playing a victim is being a bit overbearing.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

TazKristi wrote:Drkknight,
Yes we do. Please e-mail me at khunter @ spyderco.com (remove spaces) and I'll send you the details on Monday.

Stay safe.

Kristi
Hey thanks Kristi. This thread got deleted by the poster didnt it? Now its back lol. Ill email you tonight.

~ Keith
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Me: I sure could use a free knife. I'm a black ops veteran, down on his luck.

Company: Wow, we're sorry to hear you're down on your luck. We can help you out if you can show us something to substantiate this "black ops" business, or even just the Ranger part.

Me: [Writes message to the Company forums about how he spent his career with top-secret clearances (!) but can't seem to get a free knife.]
I, personally, won't go so far as to say that nobody who worked special operations would ever talk about it, or even ever brag about it. It DOES seem unusual for a person who had Secret or Top Secret level clearance at any point during his/her lifetime to be using that clearance as a point in his/her argument for why s/he deserves a free knife from the Company. Well, not just unusual. I would go so far as to say that even if everything ranger51 says is true (and I'll be charitable and say that I find it unlikely), it is incomprehensible to me that a person trusted with this nation's Top Secret military information would try to shake down one of the country's great makers of tactical knives in such an unseemly fashion.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis