Feedback from the fixed blade EDC guys

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cosmo7809

Feedback from the fixed blade EDC guys

Post by cosmo7809 »

I am looking to get myself a Street Beat for winter EDC. I have been carrying the Street Bowie around just to get the feel of having a fixed blade on me when sitting, standing, working, etc.

For the guys that usually carry a fixed blade as an EDC how do you like? How is it when you unsheath the knife and need to resheath it? For me its kind of award. Maybe because im not used to carrying a fixed blade or having a smaller frame then most guys. Concealability isnt too much of a problem because now I have been wearing sweatshirts, button downs, etc.

Pictures are always fun!

Thanks for any feedback, Chris
Come Join Us Click Here
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

cosmo7809 wrote:I am looking to get myself a Street Beat for winter EDC. I have been carrying the Street Bowie around just to get the feel of having a fixed blade on me when sitting, standing, working, etc.

For the guys that usually carry a fixed blade as an EDC how do you like? How is it when you unsheath the knife and need to resheath it? For me its kind of award. Maybe because im not used to carrying a fixed blade or having a smaller frame then most guys. Concealability isnt too much of a problem because now I have been wearing sweatshirts, button downs, etc.

Pictures are always fun!

Thanks for any feedback, Chris
I have carried a SB as my EDC in NYC for over a year. I took the clip off the stock sheath and made myself a Mercharness in about 5 minutes. I really can't imagine carrying it any other way. Good luck.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I carry mules EDC from time to time, just like with a gun, its all about your holster/belt.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I carry a PSK in a Pokono sheath in my pocket. Also carry a Swick 2 or a Mule in a kydex sheath horizantal onmy belt sometimes.

I think the person you want to talk to is Dr Snubnose :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I sometimes carry a Schrade sharp finger in kydex on my left side with the butt facing the middle. If you wear a sweat shirt or a jacket no one knows it's there. It is easy to draw and resheath.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

In my experience, getting to where you can set a FB back in a sheath easily is a question of a) keeping the sheath at the same belt position every time you wear the knife and b) repetition. It may be awkward now, but draw and reset it about a hundred times and it'll be second nature. I carry a TOPS street scalpel at about my 7 o clock. Even there, with the sheath behind the back, it only took a few days of familiarization to consistently replace the knife in the sheath without presenting a clear and present danger to my kidney :p . If you use a more traditional position (one in which you are not required to put yourself most of the way into a half nelson to draw and resheath the knife ;) ), it should be even easier.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

My experience is that, if you're not carrying your blade inside your waistband, when you loosen your belt to..... you know, the relatively high center of gravity causes the knife to flop to the side and sometimes you find yourself hiking your pants back up and the knife is flipped upside down and pinched under your belt. Its just not super convenient in my opinion, and would be better of the belt clip/loop/teklok/whatever its called were higher up next to the handle if its for outside the waistband. It is perfectly doable though, I just don't find it as convenient as a folder.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

You guys are edcing these in the city? Brave. I wouldnt edc a fixed blade much bigger then my bark river psk, which is only alittle over 5 inchs in total length. Maybe Id deal with a 6 inch one. But still, saks only for me when I go to the city.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Drkknight614 wrote:You guys are edcing these in the city? Brave. I wouldnt edc a fixed blade much bigger then my bark river psk, which is only alittle over 5 inchs in total length. Maybe Id deal with a 6 inch one. But still, saks only for me when I go to the city.
I have not had a problem carrying up to 4" FB in NYC...and that's not overall length, just the blade...Folders for my pockets...(not in the city, I would not even take a Ladybug or something similar with a clip, like a kershaw chive) I know a guy who was carrying a 4" FB in the city, he was stopped by one of NYC's finest...seems like he was carrying his fixed blade on a stactic cord and it fell from his waistband and was dangling around the back of his legs unconcealed, that is why he was stopped. The Cop asked to see his knife, the guy was like OMG....After looking at the knife the cop said "cool knife, I like it!...good thing it's not a folder or I would have to write you up...but do me a favor stick it back in your waistband and cover it up"...The cop then just went on his way. I do EDC 4 FB's around my waist each and everyday....I am waiting for a custom FB as I type...then it will be 5 FB around my waist...Not uncomfortable at all and I have no problems concealing all of them. It's something you just have to get use to, I don't carry IWB, but on the belt with all the knives having G-Clips threaded thru the belt with the G-Clips facing outwards, this way the sheath and knife are under my belt for a snug fit against the body, and I can adjust them for a proper angle for draw and comfort...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
unit

Post by unit »

Been carrying a small fixed for over a year now (every day). unsheathing is no problem, but i never try and pull it quick (none of my uses require fast draw, nor am I interested in cultivating this).

My knife is for work/utility. I carry it cross draw because my arms are long. If I carry it right side and try and draw with my right my shoulder hits my ear, and my elbow has to go way up. by going cross draw, I reach over instead of up.

Resheathing is rather awkward as it generally requires 2 hands (one to get my shirt tail out of the way and the other to drop the knife in).

For me a Fixed blade is about having a comfortable, ergonomic and VERY stiff tool in use. I generally pull my knife and then go to work for an extended period of time...thus it is most important that the knife be comfortable in hand (folders are great, but few have the ergos of a 3D contoured fixed blade). Because I use the knife for a while the drawing and resheathing is a tiny component of the knife duty/use...and this is why it is not of great importance to me.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

For anything in the 3" - 5" range(blade length) I like horizontal weak side carry in front. I can sit, squat, climb, crawl, whatever, unimpeded. Shorter than that, there are tons of options, all good. Pocket, neck, or vertical at 5 o'clock(I'm right handed) are typical. I mostly carry a medium or larger fixed blade only when I'm out in the woods, which I am a lot, or when working around the yard. For wandering around town, I generally go with the convenience of a folder or small fixie.

Gordon
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I carry my mule crossdraw and when I carry my rock salt I also wear it crossdraw. I usually carry larger fixed blades vertically on my strong hand side. Tip up with the edge facing back. Machetes are usually crossdraw if the sheath allows.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

im using the Bark River PSK allot lately, sheath fits in my small front pocket corded to my belt loop. getting to be a much faster deployment than a folder with practice. at some point i may add a teklock. Gayle bradley there for size.

the PSK is basically a scalpel with a 2" edge and .140" thickness, stout for its size. 154cm steel.
I carry this at work for basic edc work stuff, would love to carry my mule or gunny but i need something more sheeple friendly .

my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special