Spyderco working knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Diamondback

Spyderco working knives

Post by Diamondback »

Everyone needs to have a good working knife. When the economy tanked I slowly started to sell off my modest collection of Spyderco but kept a few users.

I feel blessed that I can put healthy food on the table, a roof over my head, maintain good health, and have family and friends that I care about and that care about me. While I don't have the means to collect and try all the wonderful new models and variations that Spyderco makes, I have a few terrific "working knives". I EDC an older CMP-440V Native that continues to be a versatile workhorse; in my garden my blue handled Rescue gets a real workout throughout the year. I also own the original, large, black micarta Ed Schempp Persian that I use for dress-up. I may only own a few Spyderco, but I use them hard, and they "pay their way". I look forward to owning a Spyderco with Carpenter steel some day, but until then I enjoy reading everyone's comments here on the forum, and like following Spydeco's evolutionary process.

What are your tried and true Spyderco workhorses ?
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

the workhorse is what ever is in my pocket :D usually being ladybug and delica ,they both hold up to use and abuse well.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

XHP is a fantastic steel

Tried and true hawkbills:

There are a few more in the arsenal, but no pictures yet.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, that's what they're for. Here's my favourite...

- best wishes, Jazz.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

All my Spydercos are workers, as every one is in my EDC rotation to one extent or another. All of them are built tough, no doubt about that. However, , ,when I'm getting ready to head out for the day and I know it's gonna be 'one of those days', I usually have a Manix2, C95 Manix, GB, SuperLeaf, or a good ole Endura (FRN/saber-ground) in my pocket.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My primary workers are my SE delica 1, a 440v SE native, and my recently lost (and apparently soon to be replaced) PE salt 1.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, I can afford to purchase a more expensive :spyder: sometimes so my workknives mainly are Caly's, The Gayle Bradley is one to try and (para)millie's. Not able to afford all of the spyderstuff makes you appreciate the moment you can purchase one.

Stay in good health, that's most important.
Tomas
Tom
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It hasn't always been that way, but the last eight years have been good to me. While I have a number of Spydercos I carry and use, I'd say my most used ones are a customized VG-10 Stretch, a CF Stretch, an FRN Stretch, and a Chaparral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Since my Spyderco shopping spree has cooled down a little lately (still considering the Junior though), I find myself carrying the CF Stretch over and over again. ZDP-189 makes sure the steel is sharp enough when I need it even if I didn't touch it up for a while, and well, there's a reason why the Stretch is the favourite model of Sal, tweaked and improved for may years, let alone Paul's Lignum vitae Tretch which will be his most carried Spydie ever ;)

If you want ONE Spydie, I think the CF ZDP Stretch is the way to go.

Then again, I love the Para2 :D and of course the good ole Endura4, maybe in FFG or even in CE..... ;) That's so great about Spyderco: most of their blades would do fine being the "one" knife. I think that's how Sal and Eric intended them to be in the first place... and they did well.

P.S.: My dad carries his Stretch 1 since I gave it to him. I just touched it up and made some pics of the well worn-in knife. Will post them as soon as I can find them....

Dennis
JD Spydo

Native, G-10 Harpy and Temp 1

Post by JD Spydo »

Diamondback wrote:Everyone needs to have a good working knife. When the economy tanked I slowly started to sell off my modest collection of Spyderco but kept a few users.

I feel blessed that I can put healthy food on the table, a roof over my head, maintain good health, and have family and friends that I care about and that care about me. While I don't have the means to collect and try all the wonderful new models and variations that Spyderco makes, I have a few terrific "working knives". I EDC an older CMP-440V Native that continues to be a versatile workhorse.

What are your tried and true Spyderco workhorses ?
Diamondback you stole my thunder with that one. I've used my 440V SE Native for some of the roughest jobs imaginable and I've found that 440V Native to be virtually indestructible. That's not the only Spyder that fits that category but it's interesting how I come to that conclusion.

About 3 years ago I had a really bad job where I needed a strong bladed knife to get a lot of the work done. I used my 440V Native believing that I was truly going to trash it out>> I knew another one wouldn't be too hard to find so I was willing to sacrifice it to get a nice paying job done. Much to my surprise the 440V SE Native did the job in grand fashion and it didn't seem to hurt the knife at all with the exception of having to give it a major sharpening job afterwards. But that was no problem because I enjoy sharpening my blades anyway.

I also use the **** out of my G-10, ATS-55, SE Harpy and I've put that blade through some of the most horrendous abuse imaginable and it held up just as good as the Native did. I truly want the G-10 Harpy to return to the line up.

Recently I've found one of Spyderco's fixed blades to be a beast in the workplace. I've been using both of my Temperance FB05 ( original Temp) both SE & PE blades have taken an immense amount of torture and have come out seemingly unscathed.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I lightly use almost all my Spydies around the house. The Para 2 in either S90V or 20CP are my main EDC knives, but I don't see a lot of opportunities to hard use my knives. But, when there is a really dirty job to be done, my real workhorses are the Tenacious and Byrd Cara Cara.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

FRN handles are highly underestimated

Post by JD Spydo »

What really blows me away completely was how I underestimated Spyders with FRN handles :eek: :cool: When I put my 440V SE Native through a torture test that I didn't even think a Micarta handled knife would handle I completely changed my opinion all together on FRN Spyders.

It's not my favorite handle material to show off or to look cool carrying it but for hard work situations I don't know how you can beat FRN Spyders for extremely hard work. I think that the Salt Series folders completely confirm that as well.

You can put FRN Spyders through the dishwasher and it won't hurt them a bit. It's actually a good way to give them a thorough cleaning.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

My worker is a good old saber ground endura :) followed by my Manix2. Mainly because I feel less bad about beating up an Endura because I love my M2 so much :p Plus enduras just look cooler all scratched.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
BAL

Post by BAL »

For me you can't beat the Military as a workhorse. The tenacious does get quite a bit of hard-core work that I don't want to subject anything else to. The Spyderhawk SE is awesome for serrated edge work although I recently used an Endura SE like it was a coping saw when I was re-building a bathroom and had to cut out holes for pipes.