C101PBL2 Manix 2 Blue Translucent - A review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

The latest version of the Manix 2 is another in a long list of industry firsts for Spyderco, with the use of PolyOne’s Edgetek™ FRCP (Fiberglass Reinforced Co-Polymer) for the handle frame. At only 2.8 ounces (82 grams), this Manix 2 is lighter than a FRN FFG Endura [at 3.2 ounces (91 grams)]. Not extremely significant, but it adheres to Sal Glesser’s "no more than necessary, no less than perfect" philosophy. Frankly, the lightness is a little unnerving in such a large folder, at least initially. Perhaps it is the slightly blade heavy balance. (Just an observation, certainly not a complaint.) The FRCP also has a different tactility; an almost silkiness if you will. Utilizing bi-directional texturing and raised jimping, the grip is very positive, but not abrasively rough, like G-10 or even FRN can be. Surprisingly, this model is riveted together rather than having an all screw or at least pivot bolt construction. I imagine this has more to do with streamlining the manufacturing process than to prevent troublesome returns from ELUs who take their knives apart only to lose or break parts while reassembling or adjusting.

http://spyderco.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1317485692

The blade is Carpenter Technology CTS-BD1. Developed for Spyderco, it is currently used in their lightweight C94 UK Pen Knife series and a previous Mule Team. This Micro-Melt® (powder metal) steel was created as their version of Hitachi’s Gingami-1 (GIN-1 or G-2) steel used originally in the Gerber Silver Knight series (made by G. Sakai) and then used exclusively for many years in Spyderco’s original ClipIt line. Looking at the specs, CTS-BD1 seems to be a hybrid of the Gingami-1 and Aichi AUS-10 containing .10% Vanadium. As a Micro-Melt® steel, CarTech’s micro grain structure will give the BD1 excellent edge retention combined with an ultra fine cutting edge that will please fans of AUS-8, AUS-10, and VG-10, as well as Sandvik 19C27. The bright stonewashed finish will also add to the steel’s corrosion resistance as well as giving the knife a clean look. An ambidextrous, tip-up wire pocket clip rounds out this super lightweight Manix 2 addition.

Additional Specifications: Blade Length: 3.375” (85.7 mm); Length Closed: 4.625” (117.5 mm); Overall Length: 8'' (203.2 mm); Maximum Overall Handle Thickness .452” (11.5 mm).
Attachments
Manix5.JPG
Manix5.JPG (77.42 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Manix4.jpg
Manix4.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Manix3.JPG
Manix3.JPG (50.32 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Manix2.JPG
Manix2.JPG (80.32 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Manix1.JPG
Manix1.JPG (98.22 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Attachments
Manix10.jpg
Manix10.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Manix9.jpg
Manix9.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
Manix8.JPG
Manix8.JPG (91.17 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Manix7.jpg
Manix7.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
Manix6.JPG
Manix6.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Nice review, I hope to see the FRCP handle material on other Spyderco models in the near future.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

So, it's finally out?!?!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

"Manix lighter than Endura" is something I never thought I would read.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
araneae

Post by araneae »

Another nice review Brian. I have been waiting for this one a long time. Can't wait to put a Manix to use. Should be a great work knife and it's a true lightweight. I am pretty stoked.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the good review. I appreciate your putting the type of steel in a meaningful context, very helpful.

Your photos are "shadowed" and don't show much detail because you're using the automatic setting of your camera against a white background. You could switch to a grey background, or your camera may allow you to compensate toward the overexposure side, to reveal more details of the knife. Also, if you must take photos for your business, consider getting a "softbox" for broad even indoor lighting.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks Brian! I may have to spring for one of these. The FFG blade looks good, and the handle looks like it should be amenable to "tweaking". Am sure there will be howls about the riveted construction, but pleasing everyone is never possible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Question:

Can you release the lock with one finger or do you have to use two? In other words, is the lock stiff when unlocking the blade?
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
racer88

Post by racer88 »

MUST have.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'll definitely be getting one of these when they're available.

Do you think we'll see any different colors? I was hoping it would be the clear FRCP in the early prototype pics. That would be pretty cool.
:bug-red-white
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Was at the SFO today kind of hoping they might have one on display. They didn't. Oh well, the wait continues, and continues, and continues, and continues.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's extremely attractive and classy for FRN. I like the rugged and unsophisticated stuff so this is pretty tempting :) !
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

gbelleh wrote:I'll definitely be getting one of these when they're available.

Do you think we'll see any different colors? I was hoping it would be the clear FRCP in the early prototype pics. That would be pretty cool.
That would be awesome, see all internals, although theres not much. Still would be cool to see different colors. Lime green maybe?

To answer the question about the lock, yes you have to use two fingers (index and thumb). At first it is pretty stiff, you got to wear it in. After that its fine and your fingers will get used to it. Its not like the axis lock where you can work the lock with one finger. The spring is tougher and the cage ball needs to slide a certain way. Using one finger for one wont be strong enough and youll be trying to move the lock a way it doesnt want to move. The lock has excellent retention btw. No amount of flicking or arm swinging will cause the blade to release...so if your worried about being charged with a gravity knife need not worry.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Oh question, question....Is the handle material the same as the polymer used in the cage ball lock?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

I like your review. It is top notch as are the other reviews you have posted. I personally do not like the look of the scales, and the reduced weight of the knife. Maybe it has something to do with being retired military SOG. I have always preferd a large folder with weight to match, and I am a person who likes G-10 scales. I also like Carbon fiber scales. Don't get me wrong... I am sure that this manix 2 will make a lot of spyderco owners very happy. It's just not for me. Again, nice review. You do a fine job.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

I've been thinking about getting a manix for a while now.. I think i'm sold on this model. Anyone know when it will hit retailers?
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thanks for the great review... Surely another to add to the list!
Come Join Us Click Here
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Sal
How about some other models with this FRCP :D
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I may have to get one of these and break out the rit dye.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook