Huge WOW @ Spyderco Gayle Bradley

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Huge WOW @ Spyderco Gayle Bradley

Post by Fred Sanford »

Good Lord this knife is incredible. I got my Gayle Bradly last night in the mail from CutleryShoppe. This is THE BEST knife I have ever had. No BS. Best fit and finish I've ever seen on a production knife period.

Also, the 5.3 oz weight is not too heavy. It matches the knife perfectly. The knife is perfectly balanced and cuts like it's angry at someone. I will put up some pictures later tonight. She's in my pocket right now.

Regarding the lock.... It's freaking great. I like that it's more difficult to disengage. That's a plus in my book. I learned from Mark G. years ago that I would much prefer a knife to be easy to open and difficult to unlock. No offense to the folks that have a tough time with the lock but to me it's not difficult at all. I've got big meaty paws anyway and I'm fine with it. If you're not fine with it, your hands will get used to it eventually. Trust me. Same goes for the compression lock, frame locks, etc.

Last night I drowned the blade in Tuf-Glide in addition to the pivot, let it sit overnight and then wiped anything left off the blade (there wasn't much at all left). I used to dislike the smell of tuf-glide but I like it now. I cannot believe I didn't try this knife earlier. What a really dang fine knife. WOW ! ! ! ! ! !

Gonna see how long this one can stay in my pocket as a TRUE EDC. Not gonna switch any other knife out for as long as I can.

Thanks Spyderco and Gayle Bradley! What a champion this knife is.

Pics below!

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

David Lowry wrote:Good Lord this knife is incredible. I got my Gayle Bradly last night in the mail from CutleryShoppe. This is THE BEST knife I have ever had. No BS. Best fit and finish I've ever seen on a production knife period.

Also, the 5.3 oz weight is not too heavy. It matches the knife perfectly. The knife is perfectly balanced and cuts like it's angry at someone. I will put up some pictures later tonight. She's in my pocket right now.

Regarding the lock.... It's freaking great. I like that it's more difficult to disengage. That's a plus in my book. I learned from Mark G. years ago that I would much prefer a knife to be easy to open and difficult to unlock. No offense to the folks that have a tough time with the lock but to me it's not difficult at all. I've got big meaty paws anyway and I'm fine with it. If you're not fine with it, your hands will get used to it eventually. Trust me. Same goes for the compression lock, frame locks, etc.

Last night I drowned the blade in Tuf-Glide in addition to the pivot, let it sit overnight and then wiped anything left off the blade (there wasn't much at all left). I used to dislike the smell of tuf-glide but I like it now. I cannot believe I didn't try this knife earlier. What a really dang fine knife. WOW. :eek:

Gonna see how long this one can stay in my pocket as a TRUE EDC. Not gonna switch any other knife out for as long as I can.

Thanks Spyderco and Gayle Bradley! What a champion this knife is.
I have so much as said the same thing in another GB thread.

ADDED: To serve this thread, my first impressions in the other thread were:

"I've had my utterly flawless GB for a day now.

Haven't been able to separate myself from this weighty objet d'art. It's been in my hand almost constantly.

I love its heft (each of its liners is as thick as the differently wonderful Chaparral's blade). Because of that heft, I now appreciate that its drop point and swedging have more to do with minimalist thinking than with showboating. Although I incline to the minimalist FFG PE leaf/spear-shaped blade, I'm now ready for a heftier Bison with whatever blade-shape so long as it's consistent with minimalist thinking.

The GB's liner lock is not going to disengage accidentally. I'll need to develop a new set of callouses to close the blade (my thumb is already sore).

If I had not already become devoted to my Sage2 and Chaparral for EDC, the GB might well have served in that role (instead of any of my lighter but grippier G10 or even CF Spydies). As it is, if my day looks like it will require a stronger knife, I'll just clip my GB (now well treated with Tuf-Glide) in some other pocket."
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Indeed.

Post by 1623 »

David Lowry wrote:Good Lord this knife is incredible. The knife is perfectly balanced and cuts like it's angry at someone.
lol :D

That's got to be one of the best descriptions I've ever read of the Bradley.

Enjoy that elegant beast.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I saw Gayle say in an interview or two that he had carried his every day, at the time it was 5 or 6 months. I wonder if he's still carrying it.

I really like the Gayle Bradley, it is a wonderful knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
acertainman

Post by acertainman »

It really is a gorgeous knife. I'm teetering between that and a sprint run Military. Also, lol, I second 1623 sentiments!
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Its my favorite spydie. Hands down.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

one thing your going to like over time and i wish this was incorporated in there other knives, that is the clip. the black chrome clip basically the same standard style found on there other knives, seems too stiff to get snagged and bend. and the black chrome doesnt scratch. only thing id really change would be the tip, adding a little more point would bring it to perfection.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Glad that you like it. It is definitely one of my favorites and one that I will never part with or have far from me.
On the hunt for...
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I've been putting getting a GB off for a little over a year now because of sprint chasing, but finally got around to it and have been carrying it for about a week now. I do love M4.
DeathBySnooSnoo

I want more M4! *cough*Bison*cough*
On the hunt for...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sorry, David, but you're going to have to go back and edit your post. It's well known and widely accepted on the internet that this knife is a loser. It doesn't have a stainless steel blade. The cutout for the lockbar is totally inadequate and requires user modification to work at all well. It's not made in the US but in "China." It doesn't have a flat-ground blade and everyone knows that hollow grinds are useless or worse. I could go on and on, I'm sure, with what everyone knows is wrong with this knife. :eek: :( :rolleyes:

Fortunately, you and I and those posting above are not "everyone." ;) I have two of the very first run and my older son has a third. Since I'm not "everyone," I'll second everything you said and then some. :D Great knives. Great design, great materials, great production quality, excellent value for the money. :cool: :spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

And the best part...there are more of Gayle's designs on the way! Let's hope that they also have the high hollow grind and M4!
On the hunt for...
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

The GB is an incredible bargain as well IMO. It definitely has a well-deserved place in my current rotation ...

iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for putting this knife "on deck" for me! I've been look to feed my Taichung CF appetite and your post made me very hungry to the Gayle Bradley. I'll be sure to order Tuf-Glide with it as well. Now to sell off a few dusty Spydies...

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I have had the GB for almost a year and I'm still impressed with it and carry it regularly. It is beefy enough to handle the hardest tasks, but dressy enough to carry with a suit. And the M4 really makes this knife take some punishment and laugh in it's face.

There is NO REASON not to get this wonderful knife.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

iwolf81 wrote:Hi Dave,

Thanks for putting this knife "on deck" for me! I've been look to feed my Taichung CF appetite and your post made me very hungry to the Gayle Bradley. I'll be sure to order Tuf-Glide with it as well. Now to sell off a few dusty Spydies...

Regards,
Ira
Definitely. Great stuff coming out of Taichung, for sure. :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Those of you Gayle Bradley owners who think you have a great knife are right but you don't have the "greatest" knife. That's because my Gayle Bradley is better that your Gayle Bradley. :D Don't feel too bad. I'm sure your GBs are fine knives also. :D :D

I wanted one for a long time, just didn't get one. Then a trade was offered that worked out great for me and the other person. Turned out to be a lucky day for both of us. The GB is one of my favorites (along with Sage1 and Chaparral and Manix2 and Michael Walker). I've been carrying the GB every day since I got it, along with a lot of you. :D In fact I cut french fries with it about an hour ago for my grandson and I and they tasted GB great. :D

Jack
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

that's how you know you've found a good knife: you look for "reasons" to cut anything and everything in sight.

"why are you cutting that envelope open when you can just rip open the side??!!?" :spyder:
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
jossta

Post by jossta »

GB is the best value of any knife from any manufacturer IMHO. Never get rid of mine.