What do you all use to clean your sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tacticooledc

What do you all use to clean your sharpmaker?

Post by tacticooledc »

I bought this little eraser/sponge thing from Beckwith's Blades that erases the knife steel/coating powder right off, sadly I lost it somewhere in my room and I can't find it.

What do you all use? I don't want to have to wash the stones every time i sharpen
rycen

Post by rycen »

A regular pencil eraser will work but is kind of a mess.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Sorry but I do wash my stones every time after sharpening. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotch brite pad. Works like a charm. Plus my stones are always ready to sharpen as quickly as possible the next time.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I wash them after every time that I use them, but it doesn't take long. I use dish soap and water on one of those little square green pads that you would use to wash dishes by hand. If I am sharpening several knifes at one time (which i frequently do), I may even give them a little clean job in the middle of sharpening. This may not be the best way, but it has worked for me.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Soft scrub works great!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

D1omedes wrote:I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotch brite pad.
This is what I use. I don't wash every single time I use it, but probably every two or three knives. I don't let mine get super dull, so there isn't a lot of steel being removed, which equals not a lot of particles getting loaded up in the stones.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

I really should get those super rough stones, every time i get a new knife i have to spend a good amount of time regrinding to a 30 degree edge, time to upgrade :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Please don't tell me these things are cleanable. I thought they were 1x use disposables. I've been buying them by the case :eek: :eek:

Just kidding :D .........I use whatever scouring powder I have and the course side of a sponge or scotchbrite. Like others above I try and clean mine after each use so they are ready when needed. I also usually put a towel on the floor (or a rug) where I'm sharpening. I have dropped these more than once and doubt they would have made it hitting tile floors. I also use a low table which allows me to look down on the process so I can be sure the blades are kept at the same angle each stroke. Sharpmakers are good tools, especially if you don't let a blade get too dull.
BAL

Post by BAL »

tacticooledc wrote:I really should get those super rough stones, every time i get a new knife i have to spend a good amount of time regrinding to a 30 degree edge, time to upgrade :p
The Diamond rods are awesome to get a really dull knife in shape. I have some old cheap-azzed beaters that I worked over with the diamond rods before going to the brown, then white. Alos the ultRa fine are sweet too, to get a stupid sharp edge. I believe that they are sold as one unit rather than a pair, so if you do order some, pay close attention to what you are ordering. I know some people have waited on their rods and then only got one and had to order the other.
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

BAL wrote:The Diamond rods are awesome to get a really dull knife in shape. I have some old cheap-azzed beaters that I worked over with the diamond rods before going to the brown, then white. Alos the ultRa fine are sweet too, to get a stupid sharp edge. I believe that they are sold as one unit rather than a pair, so if you do order some, pay close attention to what you are ordering. I know some people have waited on their rods and then only got one and had to order the other.
Yep, saw that in the amazon reviews. I don't usually make those mistakes because I know how to use email to send questions about the product before I make a purchase. Technology these days, eh? ;)
JD Spydo

Bar Keeper's FRiend is the best I've found

Post by JD Spydo »

D1omedes wrote:Sorry but I do wash my stones every time after sharpening. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotch brite pad. Works like a charm. Plus my stones are always ready to sharpen as quickly as possible the next time.
You sort of stole my thunder "D1" :D I've used and told everyone of Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser for some time now. It is great stuff for cleaning ceramic and other types of sharpening stones.

I even go a bit further than you do. I usually wait till I sharpen 3 to 4 blades before I clean them. Sometimes only 2 of them if they are fixed blades. I start out by soaking them in dishwashing soap like Dawn if I have the time that is.

Then I take a really powerful cleanser like Comet or Ajax to do the first stage of scrubbing. After I use the Comet or something comparable I then clean all the stones with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser. I also use a scotchBrite pad loaded with BKF and after rinsing them with scalding hot water they are usually in brand new condition.

I know it's a good way to clean them because my kit is many years old and they look like new each time I clean them. I've tried several different methods of cleaning them and the Bar Keeper's Friend so far is the best I've found.

I've used the erasers and they do help get some of the metal out of the stones but unless you really scrub them with a good cleanser I found that they don't abrade metal nearly as good as when you give them a really thorough cleaning. Great Thread. I love maintenance and sharpening threads :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

Which Soft Scrub?

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydesense wrote:Soft scrub works great!
Hey Brother I'm curious as to which Soft Scrub you use?? Are you using the original Clorox Brand with the bleach in it? Or are you using one of the aftermarket brands?

I have found the Soft Scrub containing bleach to be a great first stage cleaner but I still haven't found any of the Soft Scrub products to be as good as Bar Keeper's Friend. But hey if I don't ask questions how can I learn :)

I've also heard that by soaking the stones in a solution of Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) that the metal comes out a lot easier. I've not tried that yet and I was wondering if any of you have?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
angusW

Post by angusW »

As I'm sharpening I have a damp cloth to give them a wipe and a dry cloth to dry them. For deep cleaning I do what Sal suggests and use Comet/Ajax.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
camokid

Post by camokid »

I use tooth paste and an old toothbrush. Here is a vid of this my method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPSlT56th4
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I rub oil on my ceramic rods, it lifts the metal and removes it
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

Crap, I've never cleaned mine! This is a maintenance tip I should definitely pursue.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Old toothbrush and hand soap, doesn't get them sparkling clean but good enough to sharpen with.
buddy54ck

Rubber Eraser with grit in it!

Post by buddy54ck »

tacticooledc wrote:I bought this little eraser/sponge thing from Beckwith's Blades that erases the knife steel/coating powder right off, sadly I lost it somewhere in my room and I can't find it.

What do you all use? I don't want to have to wash the stones every time i sharpen
:spyder: :spyder:
I use this everytime I use the stones! It puts the chalky feeling on the stones instead of making them slippery, and gives You that fine honing feeling and sound!
Thanks,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
:D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

D1omedes wrote:Sorry but I do wash my stones every time after sharpening. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotch brite pad. Works like a charm. Plus my stones are always ready to sharpen as quickly as possible the next time.
+1

When the white rods look a little loaded I also use Bar Keeper's Friend. We had been using it to remove those little metallic scrapes that show up on plates.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Comet and scotchbrite pad is what I use. The diamond rods get rinsed under running water only.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: