C157GTIP LionSpy - A review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
N. Brian Huegel

C157GTIP LionSpy - A review

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

With yesterday’s arrival of two new folders from Sal, I have had to scramble to write reviews of the C157GTIP LionSpy and the C101PBL2 Manix 2 Blue Translucent (see separate thread tomorrow).

http://spyderco.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1317330983

The LionSpy is a beast of a knife. Overbuilt to meet or exceed any custom knifemaking standards, it is hard to find fault with this knife. Made by Lion Steel Knives of Maniago, Italy, the LionSpy is a spyderized adaptation of their SR-1 folder (http://www.lionsteel.it/fast/k/en/eur/products/v/978). The Böhler-Uddeholm Elmax steel used in the flat ground, drop-point blade is sure to please the exotic powder metal fans. It is good to see some competition to Crucible’s long dominance. The beefy blade [3.625 x .179” (92mm x 4.54mm)] is well supported and held vault door solid by a steel reinforced, titanium Chris Reeve Integral Lock; augmented with a Lion Steel’s RotoBlock mechanism. This ingenious pivoting locking mechanism functions as a secondary lock (doubly locking the knife blade open in addition to integral liner), while also inhibiting the lock’s liner from overextending. Matching the fluted, subtly matte finished, titanium locking frame is the obverse black G-10 handle. For the mechanically minded, the LionSpy comes with its own spanner to adjust the stainless steel pivot and pocket clip retaining bolt. The short, low riding pocket clip is ambidextrous and held in place by a specialized bolt that screws into a captured nut (a final surprise to its flawless engineering).

I am very impressed with this powerhouse folder. The craftsmanship is a tribute to Lion Steel’s three generations of cutlery skill and know-how. The consummate detail utilizes all of our current technology, creating a knife that is comfortable to handle and beautiful to behold.

Addendum - What did I find at fault? My only suggestion would be to improve the clip by adding a ¼” to the length of the final parallel bend where the clip first engages the pocket opening, that is copy Spyderco’s basic design. This would eliminate any possible discomfort during extended use. And lastly, the edge on this sample was not hair-popping sharp. It was multifaceted, indicating a dull grinding belt, and over-buffed, leaving it sub-standard and dull.

Additional Specifications; Weight: 6 oz (165g): Length closed: 4.625 (117.5mm); Overall Length 8.25” (209.5mm); Maximum Overall Handle Thickness .596” (15mm).

More pictures on following posts.
Attachments
LionSpy5.JPG
LionSpy5.JPG (74.4 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
LionSpy4.JPG
LionSpy4.JPG (96.08 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
LionSpy3.jpg
LionSpy3.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
LionSpy2.JPG
LionSpy2.JPG (86.49 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
LionSpy1.JPG
LionSpy1.JPG (49.03 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
N. Brian Huegel

Attachments
LionSpy10.JPG
LionSpy10.JPG (87.5 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
LionSpy9.JPG
LionSpy9.JPG (70.92 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
LionSpy8.JPG
LionSpy8.JPG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
LionSpy7.JPG
LionSpy7.JPG (59.88 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
LionSpy6.JPG
LionSpy6.JPG (70.92 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
brian

N. Brian Huegel

Attachments
LionSpy13.jpg
LionSpy13.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
LionSpy11.jpg
LionSpy11.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
brian

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Great review. I can't wait to see this one in person. Thank you for the pictures. How hard is this thing going to be to sharpen? I have just recently learned about Elmax. I'm still learning about steel, so my apology for the newb question.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for the great review. I'd like to get one of these in the future, but have to wait for the knife funds to replenish. For some reason, I don't care for the clip. It just looks out of place for some reason...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BAL

Post by BAL »

Awesome review, it looks like a beast for sure. I am also curious about the sharpening. I imagine that everything will be up to speed on this though. The only draw back that I see is the flattening problem. It will definately flatten out your wallet if you buy one.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nice review- thanks. Certainly looks like a tank of a knife. I look forward to the Manix review as it's a knife I've been eagerly anticipating for what feels like a very long time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

looks like its liner less on the g10 side? hows that for strength?
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bada61265 wrote:looks like its liner less on the g10 side? hows that for strength?
The Gen 2 DPX/HEST folder is also linerless on the G10 side, IIRC, as are Striders. G10 is very stiff.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

thank you for the review, this is a knife i have been saving up for. i need to hold this knife and make it a part of my collection! mmmmmmm, lionspy!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I've been waiting for this one for some time. But the cost might keep me wanting for a bit longer. Can't wait till they have one up at the SFO so I can go check it out. I'm sure that handling the Lionspy will give me reason to justify the expense. ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

bada61265 wrote:looks like its liner less on the g10 side? hows that for strength?
G-10 is quite strong.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Thanks for the review and pictures! It looks a lot stubbier than I thought it would be.

Friends of Spyderco, best of luck resisting.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Pretty beastly knife is right. Great amount of belly to that blade. I too cannot wait for the Manix review, seriously cannot wait. Do it now lol.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Nooooooooooo......I didn't want one! Now after reading your review I feel like I need one.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

i will be buying one as soon as humanly possible.... i had one on preorder a long time ago but when the price came out i couldnt quite justify it. now that ive read this review im absolutely sold!
Slash

Post by Slash »

drooling...

now I really can't wait for mine. wish I could order another one.
BAL

Post by BAL »

SQSAR wrote:I've been waiting for this one for some time. But the cost might keep me wanting for a bit longer. Can't wait till they have one up at the SFO so I can go check it out. I'm sure that handling the Lionspy will give me reason to justify the expense. ;)
Hey SQSAR, I know that you are close enough to jog up to heavens door, so I too would be interested in what you had to say after looking the Lion Spy over when it gets there. I'd love to have one, but the price, oh the price.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

What I find interesting is that the lock bar is relieved on both sides at the bend point. :cool:
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

BAL wrote:Hey SQSAR, I know that you are close enough to jog up to heavens door, so I too would be interested in what you had to say after looking the Lion Spy over when it gets there. I'd love to have one, but the price, oh the price.
As soon as I get my hands on one at the SFO I will be sure to share my thoughts. No problem.