New Caly jr ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

New Caly jr ?

Post by elena86 »

Does anyone knows anything about a new Caly Jr project ? I am in love with
this model...
JD Spydo

Caly Jr. I want with many blade steels

Post by JD Spydo »

The Caly Jr. is another great design from the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS (1998-2003). The Caly Jr. with the ZDP-189 blade will probably be one of my rotating EDCs for a very long time to come.

Truly I have trouble understanding why that model got dropped from the main line up in the first place :confused:

I think the Caly Jr. should be like the Mule Team project>> it would be a great model to offer up in many different blade steels. The Mule Team experiment has been excellent for a fixed blade and I believe that the Caly Jr. would be the perfect folder to do the same with.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal dropped a hint a month or so back that a Sprint Run of the micarta Calypso Jr might happen at some point in the future.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Someone dropped another nugget at the USN meet saying they saw the Dodo prototype along with a couple Caly Jr's. I think one was white micarta :) .
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

It does look like we will see a Caly Jr sprint run within the next two years. I am eager to see how it turns out. I love the Calypso design.
whitefeather

Yes

Post by whitefeather »

Micarta Caly Jr. Oh Yea

I have the Black and Burgundy ZDP Models but I came to the game a little late for the Micarta. Burgandy micarta waould be great.

Then a Micarta Jester please
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

WaaaaaaHooooo! Another Calypso Jr. :D :spyder:
The Gray Calypso Jr was the Spyderco that got me.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ReGZ_93

Post by ReGZ_93 »

The Micarta version in AUS 8 was my first ever spyderco. I still have it. I can't wait for a new version in a more modern blade steel. I just love the combination of light weight and strength that micarta affords.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm in for one. Can we get an original calypso sprint in vg 10 and micarta too
JD Spydo

The Stainless Caly Jr

Post by JD Spydo »

The stainless Caly Jr was interesting because it had a hollow grind blade on it and was one of the best stainless handled folders ever made by Spyderco IMO. It's getting to be one of the toughest of the Caly Juniors to find nowadays too. All the stainless ones I owned were all made with AUS-8 blade steel.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
arty

Post by arty »

Did these micarta versions of the knives have liners?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

arty wrote:Did these micarta versions of the knives have liners?
No, they did not and I'm hoping that, like the white micarta Goddard Jr. Sprint, they'll stay unlined.
Paul
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Deacon wrote:No, they did not and I'm hoping that, like the white micarta Goddard Jr. Sprint, they'll stay unlined.
Me too - unlined - fits the spirit of the Caly Jr...

But a nice burgundy micarta would really make my socks go up and down.

TedP
elena86

New Caly Jr

Post by elena86 »

I am in for the burgundy colour ! It gives a lot of class.Burgundy and no liners, please !!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As for color, the one I'd like most to see would be butterscotch paper micarta with brown canvas micarta as my second choice and ivory paper micarta as my third.
Paul
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

Brown would be my 1st choice, then butterscotch. Sorry, but i really can't stand burgundy.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:No, they did not and I'm hoping that, like the white micarta Goddard Jr. Sprint, they'll stay unlined.
Do you have any concerns about striping threaded holes, I remember that you always carry without clip, still?
And to tell the truth, I like liners.
phillipsted wrote: But a nice burgundy micarta would really make my socks go up and down.
TedP
The Deacon wrote:As for color, the one I'd like most to see would be butterscotch paper micarta with brown canvas micarta as my second choice and ivory paper micarta as my third.
I will go with Ted on burgundy, butterscotch would be nice also. Actually I want both.
I think two sprints will be even better than one. PE, please. I can only dream about no swedge.
Let's go wild and add bolsters :p :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Do you have any concerns about striping threaded holes, I remember that you always carry without clip, still?
And to tell the truth, I like liners.

I will go with Ted on burgundy, butterscotch would be nice also. Actually I want both.
I think two sprints will be even better than one. PE, please. I can only dream about no swedge.
Let's go wild and add bolsters :p :)
The clips never ripped out of the knife, so if you never take the clip off, or take it off once and never put it back on, stripping the threads in the handle becomes a non-issue. If a clip screw loosens, the best solution would be to remove it, apply some Loctite, and carefully replace it. Using a screwdriver bit without the handle wouldn't be a bad idea, helps keep you from going gorilla on it.

As for the rest, if you're going to add bolsters and liners and ditch the swedge, the Caly 3 or 3.5 would make a better platform.
Paul
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Deacon wrote:The clips never ripped out of the knife, so if you never take the clip off, or take it off once and never put it back on, stripping the threads in the handle becomes a non-issue. If a clip screw loosens, the best solution would be to remove it, apply some Loctite, and carefully replace it. Using a screwdriver bit without the handle wouldn't be a bad idea, helps keep you from going gorilla on it.
I did have a problem with one of my original micarta Goddard Jrs back when I first got it. I was fiddling around with the knife and removed the clip to polish the scales or something. When I went to put the clip back in (remember, the Micarta is directly tapped because there is no liner), I must have over-torqued the screws.

The threading stayed intact, but over the next few days, this additional pressure caused the micarta to warp ever so slightly around the pivot. The results is that the knife is extremely hard to open because the micarta is rubbing against the blade.

And because the knife is pinned and not screwed, I can't easily disassemble it to adjust it. SFO tried to adjust it but was unsuccessful...

Just a reminder that linerless micarta knives are not built like Manix or Millies.

TedP

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:if you're going to add bolsters and liners and ditch the swedge, the Caly 3 or 3.5 would make a better platform.
Than my dream come true. I strongly prefer Caly3/3.5 to Caly jr due to liners, tip down carry and no swedge. But because I cannot have my dream knife now, I will take micarta Caly jr. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian