Any Tuff updates?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Yeah its tempting to send Jim an email asking bout it, but I know hes busy and it better not to bug. The best things come with patience. :)
Cheers!
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I sincerely hope we get the Tuff untill summer....fingers crossed :)
sal

Post by sal »

Well, we finally have approved of a prototype. We've done many, but we felt they just weren't up to the spirit needed for a production piece. So it does look good for early this year.

sal
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Yessssssss !.....Thank you Mr Glesser!...another engineering masterpiece coming to life... :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

While I'm glad to hear this news, Sal, my bank account is looking on with a frown of disapproval. :p . I eagerly await pictures of the updated prototype and can hardly wait to get my hands on yet another Schempp collaboration!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com

Post by 1623 »

The money I have set aside for this knife was beginning to burn a hole in my pocket...I'm pleased to hear that it's on the way.

I have but one question: will there be a G10 scale on the production model or will it be full Ti?

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I believe it will be G10 ..when they released the prototype in the picture they were talking about making bigger pivot screws and a different texture on the scales but nothing like changing the G10 so i don't think it will be changed...we'll see...

Post by 1623 »

speedcut wrote:I believe it will be G10 ..when they released the prototype in the picture they were talking about making bigger pivot screws and a different texture on the scales but nothing like changing the G10 so i don't think it will be changed...we'll see...
Since the Amsterdam photos were post SHOT (where the Tuff had full Ti handles as shown HERE) I'm hoping that the G10 is indeed final production.
-Jodi

BAL

Post by BAL »

Tuff - Awesome.
Joe Morello - Awesome.

Post by 1623 »

BAL wrote:Tuff - Awesome.
Joe Morello - Awesome.
:cool:

They broke the mold with Joe.
-Jodi

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Gotta chime in on Joe Morello. He was the first (and one of a very few) drummer(s) I have heard play the song's melody in his solo. If any of you get the chance listen to "Dave Brubeck Quartet Live at Carnegie Hall". It's all great but "Blue Rondo ala Turk" is to die for; played fast and it swings. Joe passed away in 2011.

I'm anxious to see how Tuff turns out and how early "early in 2012" turns out to be. By April is my guess.

add-> Hey, it's on youtube. Check this out folks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPpjbPK ... er&list=UL
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

Such great news!! I can't wait!
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
BAL

Post by BAL »

It's a good reason to get your taxes done early, that is if you are getting anything back.
Get the wife something nice, get yourself a Tuff. and a Military 2 and Chinook 4 and......

(Huge John Bonham fan, Have seen some of the Zep tapes, he was a monster on the sticks. I have seen Plant-Plage in person a few times, but after Bonzo and without JPJ .)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

John Bonham really accelerated the craze for over-sized drums as many wanted to imitate his sound. Very few however played a 26" bass drum like he did. That's because the bigger the bass drum the longer it takes to issue its "boom". With a 24" bass drum you have to anticipate the beat. With a 26" bass drum there is a larger gap and you have to strike the bass drum significantly before you hear the sound. That's why his imitators used 24" BDs and why you seldom see a drum kit with BD larger than 22". He also used Paiste cymbals, which I favor for rides and high hats, rather than Zildjians.

Thread hijack off -
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Sequimite wrote:John Bonham really accelerated the craze for over-sized drums as many wanted to imitate his sound. Very few however played a 26" bass drum like he did. That's because the bigger the bass drum the longer it takes to issue its "boom". With a 24" bass drum you have to anticipate the beat. With a 26" bass drum there is a larger gap and you have to strike the bass drum significantly before you hear the sound. That's why his imitators used 24" BDs and why you seldom see a drum kit with BD larger than 22". He also used Paiste cymbals, which I favor for rides and high hats, rather than Zildjians.

Thread hijack off -
To add - I believe that he also used oversized sticks. I recall Robert Plant once referring to Bonham's sticks as "tree trunks".
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Huge Led Zep and Bonham fan here, this is really interesting.
panthervikefan

Post by panthervikefan »

I can't wait for this knife! just gotta save up the money.. how much do ya'll think it will be?
jossta

Post by jossta »

I'd guess 180, but who knows.

Post by 1623 »

jossta wrote:I'd guess 180, but who knows.
I'm guessing that it will be a bit more than the Ti Millie.

Factor in the blade thickness itself, the added production time and costs for the fuller groove, the insert on the lock bar and texturing on the Ti scale and I'd say $225.00 - $245.00 street.
-Jodi

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

1623 wrote:I'm guessing that it will be a bit more than the Ti Millie.

Factor in the blade thickness itself, the added production time and costs for the fuller groove, the insert on the lock bar and texturing on the Ti scale and I'd say $225.00 - $245.00 street.
At least that. Take a look at the LionSpy.