MT12P Cru-Wear Mule Team Recall - Answers

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So it seems like this Cruwear mule is one to pick up? I assume all the ones left have received the corrective heat-treat. What do you guys use yours for? This one's not stainless it seems, is corrosion a problem? Push me off the fence...

Sorry for the thread hi-jack (but you all love this sort of question).
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

tvenuto wrote:So it seems like this Cruwear mule is one to pick up? I assume all the ones left have received the corrective heat-treat. What do you guys use yours for? This one's not stainless it seems, is corrosion a problem? Push me off the fence...

I use mine camping and fishing. I haven't had a chance to take the Cruwear out in the hills yet, but it's next up. The M390 has seen some use making fire sticks and general wood processing around the fire.

Here's my push to try and get you off the fence. The mule you buy has infinite potential. And if you make it a project, when you are done, you will have a knife unlike anything else out there. Not to mention the pride in ownership when you put hard labor into it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Did Spyderco temper the high cycle on that, as it would seem you are describing the effect of low retained austenite which is easy to achieve in multiple high temper cycles. However are you saying it stays very sharp longer than something like 52100?
No idea Cliff. Spyderco doesn't release that info. Mostly just the rc number, which is about 62 IIRC. This is a bit different from 52100. It has more bite, more carbide type sawtooth effect, but with a high sharpness unlike S30V, etc. That's about all I can say. I have 3 different 52100 blades( Marbles , Mule, and BRKT), and the same number of Cruwear and vascowear knives ( custom, Gerber, and Cruwear mule). They are all different though so I try to keep to generalizations.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

tvenuto wrote:So it seems like this Cruwear mule is one to pick up? I assume all the ones left have received the corrective heat-treat. What do you guys use yours for? This one's not stainless it seems, is corrosion a problem? Push me off the fence...

Yard work recently because I have it sharpened the same as Joe does, DMT Black (Extra Course) creates a really toothy edge like micro serrations. It chews through english ivy and vines.
No signs of corrosion and the finish seems to be a semi-polished over stonewashed. I still believe this was from the 2nd heat-treat.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Thanks for the links, I quite like D2 so will definitely be picking up one of these if I get the chance !
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mr. Glesser, when are you coming out with a folder in cruwear?
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

sal wrote:Hi Vassili,

'Glad to see you here. I thought that I had already apologized to you. If not, My apologies.

Running hard right now. Will try to get back later.

sal
Well, I have problem with pretty specific action of yours, so generic excuse I do not consider as excuse at all, I do not see you admitting that you was wrong when you did that.
I understand that you may not like my comment that Spyderco did not test any of Mules from previous bunch - which is much bigger deal then some programming error - as you
tried to downplay that. However this does not give you right or excuse to call my comment the way you call it. You told me you do not want to see my **** here in replay, rather
then say that you are going to fix your quality control and make sure at least some knives from the bunch got tested.

So sorry thing like - well you need excuse - here one for you if you are so picky, I consider as an arrogance.

Vassili.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

nozh2002 wrote:Well, I have problem with pretty specific action of yours, so generic excuse I do not consider as excuse at all, I do not see you admitting that you was wrong when you did that.
I understand that you may not like my comment that Spyderco did not test any of Mules from previous bunch - which is much bigger deal then some programming error - as you
tried to downplay that. However this does not give you right or excuse to call my comment the way you call it. You told me you do not want to see my **** here in replay, rather
then say that you are going to fix your quality control and make sure at least some knives from the bunch got tested.

So sorry thing like - well you need excuse - here one for you if you are so picky, I consider as an arrogance.

Vassili.
For what it's worth I was glad to see your name pop up. Disapointed to read the bitterness in your words. I've always looked forward to your posts in the past. I appreciate your being well trained in science and your enthusiasm for hands on testing. Sometimes it is more productive to let past flameouts on every side go. Sometimes stubborness becomes a cage.

I wish you the best and hope you can again be a positive, informative voice on the forum. Letting go of the negativity lightens your soul and your feet.

I still have a bunch of Russian artifacts if you're interesred. Not to sell, but I am willing to share :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is only one broken mule in this thread. Sadly you can't re-heat treat to fix delusional.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:There is only one broken mule in this thread. Sadly you can't re-heat treat to fix delusional.
I was going to make a correction about mules vs. donkeys by another name, but this is Sal's house, so I won't... :rolleyes: In the good old days, they used to use an extended cryo-treat to solve problems like the one you're referring to.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:I was going to make a correction about mules vs. donkeys by another name, but this is Sal's house, so I won't... :rolleyes: In the good old days, they used to use an extended cryo-treat to solve problems like the one you're referring to.
Hehehe, that's because the tables were hard on their footwear. :D