MT12P Cru-Wear Mule Team Recall - Answers

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Peter, I don't see social exclusion due to one member swimming against the stream. What I see is some people that have seen him at work in other forums trying like heck to see about keeping the same thing from happening here.

The members here are not nearly that thin skinned or reactive when people go against prevailing thought.In fact, mostly we have better things to do with our time. To be honest, other than the "spyderco's are great" type of stuff I really don't see most here swimming in the same direction.

One can respectfully of others go their own way here and get along fine. Attempting to take away our refuge and portal into our favorite cutlery company does get a type of "Godzilla" "Tokyo" thing going. That's the nature of the beast(s) that spends their time here.

Regards,

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

never mind...
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

That's great, now go play with your manila rope..
sal

Post by sal »

nozh2002 wrote:never mind...
Thank you.

sal
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

sal wrote:Thank you.

sal
Sure.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I'm not trying to throw oil on a fire or anything, but here's my opinion.

I think it's amazing that Spyderco's making these mules. Allowing people to try new steels, in a cheap package, it's great. Also, it clearly states in the description that these are made for testing. "Something knife knuts can try, test, and use." I think it's pretty clear these are not normal production knives.

Also, if you think about it, you haven't lost anything except for time on this knife, and have experienced an improper heat treat. :p Spyderco's paying for shipping, and refunding you the price of the knife. What's the problem? Of course, if you've already put scales on yours, I suppose it's frustrating to have to remake them in the future, but to me, that's the point of the mules.

They aren't production knives, and are not perfect. These knives are not always perfect, and when they aren't, Spyderco's willing to make it up. If you want quality control then buy a normal production knife.

I'd just like to say thanks to Spyderco for even trying this mule project. Not many companies interact with customers in such a way, and even participate in a blatant attack on their ethics.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

[From other hand I do not want to wast my money (and quite some my bucks went to Spyderco already) on product which very well may be recalled soon as it was happened twice already, recalled after I already spend several days working on it.

I honestly try to stay away from any thread this guy is in but I just wanted to point out that Spyderco has admited the mistake. If this guys super special testing process is so effective why did he waste his time working on a mule that he should have easily been able to identify as defective? The sad thing is this guy would never have even come to this conclusion if Spyderco hadn't told him about it.

Also, enough about the USSR and its comparisons to the US and how bad both places are. If all you look for is the bad in things you eventually will run out of places to hide.

Sorry for getting involved in the first place.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

akaAK wrote:If this guys super special testing process is so effective why did he waste his time working on a mule that he should have easily been able to identify as defective?
This is what I did - I tested it and found poor performanse (same as for CPM S30V which nobody recall for that). Test take day of work - sharpening to whittle hair then - 200 cuts of 1/2" manila rope and 120 cuts of thread to measure sharpness.

http://nozh2002.blogspot.com/2011/07/ed ... sting.html

To do this 200 cuts of manila rope you need to make handle (another day of work). Cutting rope 200 times with poor performer is really hard and my palm healed only few days ago.

Then after spending this time and having my palm damaged - I found that this is another Spyderco Mule recall! Just because they are not testing their knives before selling (sorry, I do not consider scheduler error as a legitimate excuse).

I can not say really is it defective or not - this is what Spyderco sad. I still think that this may be how this steel performs - Crucible is not known for high performance steel and lately throwing everything in desperate attempt to compete with other manufacturers - not quite successful so far. If Spyderco will not re release this Mule - than I will be certain that this is the case.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

nozh2002 wrote:This is what I did - I tested it and found poor performanse (same as for CPM S30V which nobody recall for that). Test take day of work - sharpening to whittle hair then - 200 cuts of 1/2" manila rope and 120 cuts of thread to measure sharpness.

http://nozh2002.blogspot.com/2011/07/ed ... sting.html

To do this 200 cuts of manila rope you need to make handle (another day of work). Cutting rope 200 times with poor performer is really hard and my palm healed only few days ago.

Then after spending this time and having my palm damaged - I found that this is another Spyderco Mule recall! Just because they are not testing their knives before selling (sorry, I do not consider scheduler error as a legitimate excuse).

I can not say really is it defective or not - this is what Spyderco sad. I still think that this may be how this steel performs - Crucible is not known for high performance steel and lately throwing everything in desperate attempt to compete with other manufacturers - not quite successful so far. If Spyderco will not re release this Mule - than I will be certain that this is the case.
You realize sal has just made a thread, JUST FOR YOU, so you can keep all your repetitive ramblings off the sticky. This thread is not your personal showcase for your opinions, it was meant to help others with questions about the recall. So far you are just making statements, and really off base ones at that. So please, go argue on the thread called "Dear Mr. Nozh2002", it was made just to showcase your trolling.
BAL

Post by BAL »

DCDesigns wrote:You realize sal has just made a thread, JUST FOR YOU, so you can keep all your repetitive ramblings off the sticky. This thread is not your personal showcase for your opinions, it was meant to help others with questions about the recall. So far you are just making statements, and really off base ones at that. So please, go argue on the thread called "Dear Mr. Nozh2002", it was made just to showcase your trolling.
Hey DC, one time when I was in first grade I had to cut a piece of paper 200 times with those little rounded scissors and it hurt my hands, it really really hurt. In fact it only healed up a few days ago.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

BAL wrote:Hey DC, one time when I was in first grade I had to cut a piece of paper 200 times with those little rounded scissors and it hurt my hands, it really really hurt. In fact it only healed up a few days ago.
:confused: ok... What are you saying BAL? this thread is already pretty much usless so you might as well talk about random stuff I guess. I used to give myself haircuts with those scissors.
BAL

Post by BAL »

DCDesigns wrote: :confused: ok... What are you saying BAL? this thread is already pretty much usless so you might as well talk about random stuff I guess. I used to give myself haircuts with those scissors.
Sorry for the confusion DC, sometimes you need to
review the other posts near yours to reveal the hidden
meaning.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

nozh2002 wrote: Cutting rope 200 times with poor performer is really hard and my palm healed only few days ago..
I think this is funny & speaks volumes. He pushes himself & an obviously blunt knife past a healthy limit :D LMAO. Guys, he will run this till he drops, not need of keep up. ;)
Terrier with a rat comes to mind.
O.
BAL

Post by BAL »

BAL wrote:Hey DC, one time when I was in first grade I had to cut a piece of paper 200 times with those little rounded scissors and it hurt my hands, it really really hurt. In fact it only healed up a few days ago.
Hey O,just,O so are you also saying that I also pushed myself too hard past a healthy limit.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

O,just,O wrote:I think this is funny & speaks volumes. He pushes himself & an obviously blunt knife past a healthy limit :D LMAO. Guys, he will run this till he drops, not need of keep up. ;)
Terrier with a rat comes to mind.
O.
HAhahahahahah. Ok BAL I get it now. I didnt catch what nozh said, I must admit after hearing so much I just skim now, lol... Id say that he needs to work on his handle crafting, seems like that an ergo problem to me. Id cut all day with one of my mules.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Guys (and gals),
I don't agree with Nozh, and most of the forum members obviously don't agree with Nozh's comments, but your response and mocking attitude is childish and unbecoming of this forum. Everybody (including Nozh) should take their issues elsewhere.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

BAL wrote:Hey O,just,O so are you also saying that I also pushed myself too hard past a healthy limit.
Did you see the request from Sal on page 5? :rolleyes:
sal wrote:I would like to keep the thread on topic. I have nothing more to say to Nozh. I don't know what he wants. If he doesn't want to purchase our products, that is his freedom. I will say that if I offended you by calling your approach something other than proper, I will aplogize for offending you.

We stopped the mules as fast as we could. We will try to get back all of the Mules. We will re-heat treat them, clean them up, engrave them and offer them again.

That's the best we can do. If that is not acceptable, you again have my apology. You should do what you think is the right thing for you to do.

But please, ?

sal
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Might I suggest that those of you continuing to discuss a specific member in this thread just simply stop? To continue on this path is to do the very thing that you want stopped.

The rest of this thread should be specific to the MT12P Recall. Please.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

TazKristi wrote:Might I suggest that those of you continuing to discuss a specific member in this thread just simply stop? To continue on this path is to do the very thing that you want stopped.

The rest of this thread should be specific to the MT12P Recall. Please.
Thanks, it better be 90 posts late then never...
BAL

Post by BAL »

Points well taken, sorry.