Assist wiggle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PerfectDouble

Assist wiggle

Post by PerfectDouble »

I just got my Assist in the mail today, and after examining it (and searching for answers on several forums), I have some questions/concerns.

1) The carbide glass breaker wiggles when it is retracted and (even more concerning) when it is extended (although much less than when it's retracted -- the wiggle is lateral when extended).

2) This wiggle sometimes makes it difficult (sometimes it is simply not completely smooth and effortless and others it is nearly impossible) to fully extend the glass breaker -- it will "catch" on the opening and remain "half out".

3) How do you replace the carbide tip? I see that there are two T-6 screws that must be removed. Does one also need to remove the large screw that holds down the clip? Do you need to remove (push out) the bushings for the torx screws? Which way does the piece of handle come off? (Can someone please give me some detailed directions?)

4) Finally, did I just get a lemon that slipped through QC? If so, I'll return it to Spyderco for their warranty repair (unless I can fix this myself after learning how to access the carbide tip). If not, I will return it to the seller.

Finally, I just want to add that I really am a HUGE Spyderco fan. My EDC and/or backup for years has been the Endura (probably my all time favorite knife design). I have recommended Spydercos to numerous people -- many of whom have taken my advice and now have a Spyderco (or two) as their EDC.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Welcome to the forums, I personally can't help you, but I'm sure someone will come along with some answers soon.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you do not think it's working properly, send it to Spyderco for evaluation. AFAIK, replacing the glass breaker if that should ever become necessary would also be something best handled by a trip to Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I have an Assist and the carbide tip rattles both when the blade is in the closed position as well as the open position. When the carbide tip is exposed, there is minimal "play".

If you do not feel comfortable with the knife, like others, I'd suggest giving it a quick trip to the Spyderco Warranty Service. Though keep in mind, since others experience the same "problem" they might say it fits within specs and return it as you sent it.

Edit: Here are some threads for you to check out too:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... st+rattles

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... st+rattles
Come Join Us Click Here
PerfectDouble

Post by PerfectDouble »

Thanks. It appears like some Assists have the wiggle (or "rattle" as it is referred to in other threads) and some do not. That indicates a QC issue to me.

My biggest concern is that sometimes the carbide tip does not fully extend. That is a HUGE issue -- especially for an emergency response item. In my opinion, a life saving or emergency response device is something that has to work 100% of the time.

Has anyone else had that problem with the Assist?
TheNeedyCat

Post by TheNeedyCat »

i think it is an icolated problem but it is most definatly QC
PerfectDouble

Post by PerfectDouble »

I spoke with Warranty Repair/Customer Service today and described the issue I am having with the carbide tip not fully deploying at times. I was told that this is a known QC issue (the issue is a burr on the back of the glass breaker where the knife blade contacts it to push it out) and that the fix is to replace the carbide glass breaker. I was also told that a drop of lube down the glass breaker hole might fix it, but if it didn't, then send it in for warranty repair to have to glass breaker replaced.
Rhiney

Post by Rhiney »

What a pleasure to have someone come on, clearly articulate their concern in a mature way, then follow up with a post once the solution is offered. Thank you!
BAL

Post by BAL »

PerfectDouble wrote:I spoke with Warranty Repair/Customer Service today and described the issue I am having with the carbide tip not fully deploying at times. I was told that this is a known QC issue (the issue is a burr on the back of the glass breaker where the knife blade contacts it to push it out) and that the fix is to replace the carbide glass breaker. I was also told that a drop of lube down the glass breaker hole might fix it, but if it didn't, then send it in for warranty repair to have to glass breaker replaced.
Welcome Perfect Double, thanks for the post, this is very interesting and I am glad that you explained what Customer Service had said. The Assist is on my wish list and I know that I will pick one up in the near future, so these things are great to know.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Welcome to the Forum!

Is it just me, or did anyone else do a double take when they read PerfectDouble's title on this thread?

Maybe I just have a dirty mind...

TedP
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I have had my assist close to a year now and it does wiggle a little but it has not increased in that time. It did "ketch" and have rough deployment at first but with a little lube on the surface that the blade pushes on, and breaking in it feels fine now. If you're super worried about it ketching, you can take it apart and run the surface where the blade pushes on some sharpening stones to flatten it out. You can always send it in too...

I have used this knife to break 20+ car windows (don't worry, I work in the Firefighting/EMS field, I didn't just break random people's windows) and there is absolutely no issue with the play. As long as the tip is somewhat stable, exposed, and one uses the right technique it will work. When breaking a window the amount of force needed is surprisingly low, so a little bit of play in the glass breaker isn't the end or the world nor will it likely develop into something worse with real use.
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Glad you spoke to Spyderco and got an official answer.

I hope to see you around in the forums and adding more Spyderco's to your collection!
Come Join Us Click Here
BAL

Post by BAL »

phillipsted wrote:Welcome to the Forum!

Is it just me, or did anyone else do a double take when they read PerfectDouble's title on this thread?

Maybe I just have a dirty mind...

TedP
Nothing odd about the title ASSist WIGGLE to me. ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have an Assist II - no wiggle at all. ;) :spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

JNewell wrote:I have an Assist II - no wiggle at all. ;) :spyder:
That's too bad. Have them work on it. :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

A follow-up on this thread. I got an Assist 1 recently to keep my Assist 2 company. The glassbreaker was all but impossible to activate. Based on this thread and a few I found searching the archives, I put a micro-drop of oil on the "beak" of the blade tip. To my surprised, that totally changed how the glassbreaker worked - it now works smoothly and reliably in any orientation, although it does rattle a little in the FRN channel. The rattle / play does not seem to be a problem at all.
PerfectDouble wrote:I just got my Assist in the mail today, and after examining it (and searching for answers on several forums), I have some questions/concerns.

1) The carbide glass breaker wiggles when it is retracted and (even more concerning) when it is extended (although much less than when it's retracted -- the wiggle is lateral when extended).

2) This wiggle sometimes makes it difficult (sometimes it is simply not completely smooth and effortless and others it is nearly impossible) to fully extend the glass breaker -- it will "catch" on the opening and remain "half out".

3) How do you replace the carbide tip? I see that there are two T-6 screws that must be removed. Does one also need to remove the large screw that holds down the clip? Do you need to remove (push out) the bushings for the torx screws? Which way does the piece of handle come off? (Can someone please give me some detailed directions?)

4) Finally, did I just get a lemon that slipped through QC? If so, I'll return it to Spyderco for their warranty repair (unless I can fix this myself after learning how to access the carbide tip). If not, I will return it to the seller.

Finally, I just want to add that I really am a HUGE Spyderco fan. My EDC and/or backup for years has been the Endura (probably my all time favorite knife design). I have recommended Spydercos to numerous people -- many of whom have taken my advice and now have a Spyderco (or two) as their EDC.
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

Can't help, but I am sure someone here can.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

ranger51 wrote:Can't help, but I am sure someone here can.
Help provided, not needed. ;)