FRN Police interest...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
camokid

FRN Police interest...

Post by camokid »

Hey Sal, I was carrying my g-10 police today, great knife. But I was wondering if their is any interest in a FRN police. I believe this could lower the cost of this wonderful knife for officers on a budget. Plus the FRN would cutback on the carry weight. Opinions please?
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

yes!yes!yes! i own a plain edge police 3 and i love that knife. i plan on buying the serrated version here in the near future. I WOULD BUY THE FRN VERSION IF SPYDERCO CAME OUT WITH ONE. that would be awesome!
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

I'm with you guys. I have a G10 handled Police 3 but would definitely buy a lighter FRN handled version (also preference for plain edge). Maybe a British Racing Green FRN - ZDP189 Steel blade !? :spyder: :cool: :D
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

That's an interesting idea. I'd be down with one for sure. However, I'd suspect the cost of tooling up for production of a new FRN handle would not be one Spyderco would jump into lightly; especially in light of the fact that the Endura in FRN offers much that same that the Police would. Still, I'd prefer the FRN Police over an FRN Endura any day.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Gotta say no. I'll take G10 over FRN any day of the week. And I really don't care about weight at all. I'm sure too that most LEO aren't much bothered by an ounce of weight either. I also would think that a knife like the Police in FRN would still be in the $95-$100 range. The Stretch is about $75-$80, so add the extra material in the Police along with the tooling costs to build a new knife basically. And I would think that $90 would be the minimum you would see. So that is about a $30-$35 savings. Not much really.
On the hunt for...
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Gotta say no. I'll take G10 over FRN any day of the week. And I really don't care about weight at all. I'm sure too that most LEO aren't much bothered by an ounce of weight either. I also would think that a knife like the Police in FRN would still be in the $95-$100 range. The Stretch is about $75-$80, so add the extra material in the Police along with the tooling costs to build a new knife basically. And I would think that $90 would be the minimum you would see. So that is about a $30-$35 savings. Not much really.
Couldn't agree more. G-10 trumps FRN any day for me. Still, I think FRN has its place. And, while I'd really like to see an FRN Police, I suspect we will never see one produced.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Spend a couple of hours cutting or carving with an FRN and a G-10, I think your hands might prefer the FRN. For looks the G-10 is nicer, but I find the FRN scales very hand friendly.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I prefer G-1 over FRN, however, I WOULD be interested in a FRN Police, great idea.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

i am in .
v8r

Post by v8r »

Are you talking linerless handles ? If not then would there be any weight savings?
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
camokid

Post by camokid »

v8r wrote:Are you talking linerless handles ? If not then would there be any weight savings?
Now lets get off into the deep end of my idea LOL! OKay, what about an h-1 linerless FRN police for game warden, coast guard, Navy seal, and my personal applications? What do yall say? :D

Post by 224477 »

Great idea, I am in too. Enjoy the Police model, old or new one.
But every FRN is a tough business question due the 50k USD mold form investment.

Would like to see a compression lock Police, too.

ps. there is a P3 in my pocket as I type.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
JD Spydo

Not This Kid

Post by JD Spydo »

NONE for me>> We have the POLICE in G-10>> Isn't the Endura close enough to what you're asking for :confused: ???

Personally I like the Police models just the way they are. However if they wanted to do another run of them in Carbon Fiber I could get on that bandwagon in a heartbeat ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've heard the molds for FRN grips are into the tens of thousands just to have made. Sometimes they go wrong which is an additional wheelbarrow of money.

Unless you predict sales of FRN police getting into the several thousands range it's probably not a worthwhile endeavor.

Myself, I'm fine with the G10 police 3. I love it and feel it's the best police model ever made. It's one of a handful that I felt I should get a "pre need replacement" * for.

I wouldn't mind a Ti lockback model just for thrills when I get rich again but I couldn't even buy one now.

*= the term pre need replacement was coined by Yablonawitz. It means buying a second not as a safe queen as such, but as a knife to use ( not sell) when the first wears out.

Also Note I've had to sell a few choice Pre need replacements ( PNR's) when broke usually to forumites when I have a choice. I've never listed on E-bay.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Donut

Post by Donut »

Back about a year ago, I had an Endura and someone I knew had a Stainless Police. I held them up next to each other and they were within 1/4" the size of each other. After that, I couldn't justify purchasing a Police.

I ended up getting a used G-10 Police for $80, that one has about an extra 1/2" of blade than the Endura. If you're talking any other model, I think the Endura will do you good.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

JD Spydo wrote:NONE for me>> We have the POLICE in G-10>> Isn't the Endura close enough to what you're asking for :confused: ???

Personally I like the Police models just the way they are. However if they wanted to do another run of them in Carbon Fiber I could get on that bandwagon in a heartbeat ;)
I'm with you on the Endura part. Too close!!!
And for sure on the CF. Will get a couple. Police so far is my all time fave. :D
camokid

Post by camokid »

Donut wrote:Back about a year ago, I had an Endura and someone I knew had a Stainless Police. I held them up next to each other and they were within 1/4" the size of each other. After that, I couldn't justify purchasing a Police.

I ended up getting a used G-10 Police for $80, that one has about an extra 1/2" of blade than the Endura. If you're talking any other model, I think the Endura will do you good.
I have a a couple enduras,pacific salt, and a G-10 Police. All great knives I was just "Dreaming" LOL! Althought if the dream did come true I belive a lot of folks would buy the FRN police. Think about it the police is a spyderco classic of cousre it would be a big investment, but I belive many people would buy it over the years. I'm not puting down people who like stainless steel, but you know the FRN police would sell better than the SS police.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

camokid wrote:I'm not puting down people who like stainless steel, but you know the FRN police would sell better than the SS police.
Don't count on it. The SS Police has been in the lineup longer than any other model and for the last twenty years has remained virtually unchanged except for steel, lettering, and the occasional addition of a lanyard hole. It has survived while both uncoated and Tufram coated aluminum, titanium, and G-10 versions have fallen by the wayside. Makes me think it must be doing something right for its intended audience.

The new G-10 Police 3 is a great knife, although too big to ever wind up in my pocket. But it's enough different from its ancestors to appeal to a different audience and, IMHO, to merit a separate SKU#.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Camokid,

It's been discussed several times, but as you can see, there is some question as to whether the high investment costs of tooling would be returned.

sal
dialex

Post by dialex »

JD Spydo wrote:...Isn't the Endura close enough to what you're asking for :confused: ???
My thoughts exactly...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.