Random Question about Gfs/Wives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ValueKnifeLover

Random Question about Gfs/Wives

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

So I love me some Spyderco... and like some of you out there my girlfriend isn't the biggest fan of my knife addiction... but she tolerates it so I guess that is good...

However... she does seem to get annoyed at how quickly I tend to buy and sell knives... mostly buying more :spyder: s these days...

So what I have resorted to is buying knives with black handles and plain satin blades... because when she sees it all she sees is black handle and a spyder hole and just assumes they're all just the same knife... where as if she saw different color delicas/enduras or digi-cam milis and paras... she would definitely notice... and then say something and get all mad about me "wasting money" and what not... I just hope she doesn't open my knife drawer and see how many are building up :p

Just wondering... anyone else out there sneaky like this??? ;)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My wife doesn't really know how many I have, but soon after I started really collecting lots of Spydies, she was shocked to open my desk drawer and see about 30 Spydies all in one place. She also opened a plastic bin with about 100 empty Spyderco boxes in it. After that, there was no hiding it. :D
:bug-red-white
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Meh. I get grief every once in a while, but girls have their addictions too. I don't give her flack when she drops a wad of cash at sephora or bath and body works, so she generally leaves me be with my spydies.

I will admit though sometimes even I think it's ridiculous when I spend $400+ a month every now and then on these suckers...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
ValueKnifeLover

pmbspyder wrote:Meh. I get grief every once in a while, but girls have their addictions too. I don't give her flack when she drops a wad of cash at sephora or bath and body works, so she generally leaves me be with my spydies.

I will admit though sometimes even I think it's ridiculous when I spend $400+ a month every now and then on these suckers...
Yeah I have to occasionally point out her little addictions that she spends money on too and how my hobby is the same thing in a sense... but I do have to resist telling her that my knives will still be around long after her new dresses and other stuff she buys... no need to be an instigator :p

...oh and I don't tell her how much more I spend on my hobby than she does :rolleyes:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

You're not really spending money at all. You're investing in a quality product that will at least keep its worth if not gain some in years to come unlike dollars, euros, shares etc. You're not really doing it for yourself either but just to make sure she can keep buying those beautiful shoes and handbags in the distant future because you love her that much.

Might take a bit of practice in front of the mirror to get the facial expressions right but it is actually almost completely true anyway.
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

Haha, yea I sorta have the same problem as well.. my boyfriend isn't too fond of my knives either, but when I bought him one, he started using it ;)
Gerard Breuker wrote:... just to make sure she can keep buying those beautiful shoes and handbags in the distant future because you love her that much.
well said! :D tolerance has to go both ways. Although if you say that to her, that may not go down to well :p :rolleyes:
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

You know, maybe she's the normal one and we're all a bit loony with our knives.....

Wait, what did I say?
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I had some issues with the wife vs my knife addiction also. Until I bought her a blue Kopa. She loved the look and feel of it. Once I got her on the train it was a much smoother ride. Along those same lines, I would however like to see Spyderco make a line of more feminine friendly knives. Colors or handle "art". Not sure how to explain it. But it would help us guys out if our Wives also had some "pretty" knives. My wife does like the dragon fly and lady bug tatoo. Keep that up. It helps.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

i am actually very lucky because my wife is all about supporting my knife buying addiction. it's also cool that my wife is not only knowledable about how an EDC system works, but she also EDC's as well, so she benefits from my knife obsession too!
here's another good thing, my wife will sit next to me sometimes, as i am drooling over spydies online, and she'll ask me which one am i going to buy next. I LOVE HER!!!!
to be honest too, i don't really do much when i'm not working, as in i don't spend a lot of money on anything else. well, there are my flashlights and guns, but again, that's part of the EDC system we have going on.
love them spydies!
ValueKnifeLover

jtoler_9 wrote:I would however like to see Spyderco make a line of more feminine friendly knives. Colors or handle "art". Not sure how to explain it. But it would help us guys out if our Wives also had some "pretty" knives.
Agreed. I bought a Byrd Crow and some pink g10 the other day... we had a whole discussion about a knife I got her a while back... she was in a weird [read: awesome!] mood one day and saw a pink mini KaBar Dozier she thought was "cute" so I got it for her hoping she would use it... that wasn't very fruitful... it sits in a drawer b/c she refuses to put it in a pocket, it's too small for a purse and she doesn't need anything else on a keychain...

so back to the Byrd knife... after the discussion I decided I would surprise her and make custom g10 handles (pink), no pocket clip (b/c she wont use it), A pink and white lanyard to help locate it in a purse, polish parts of the blade (she likes shiny things haha) and put it in a nice little pouch like a multitool comes in just in case it ever decided to come open in that black hole of a purse. so whether she will actually like it is another story (she seemed ok with the idea of a purse knife at the time...). either way I wanted to start making my own custom handles and wanted an excuse to buy a Dremel :D so I win there I suppose!

but even if "operation make a knife as girly as possible" is successful... she still won't be supporting my collecting any time soon :p

"why do you need so many knives?! they all look the same" *this is where I hang my head and fight back tears* :(

so I shall keep being sneaky ;)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

just keep working on her. Once they get knife #2 it starts to get a little easier. My wife had the blue Delica FRN that she loved. I had to get the wife a second knife that she loved just as much as the first before she really started to catch the bug.
computernut

Post by computernut »

My wife is tolerant of my flashlight and knife obsessions but sometimes rolls her eyes. She pays attention when I explain the differences between models and even surprised me with a Sage1 for a wedding-day present. If I buy too many toys in too short of a time frame she'll say something though. At one point I hid some flashlight purchases but I like openly enjoying my hobbies so I eventually fessed up.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My wife is of the opinion that I have too many knives. She may be right. I have drastically slowed down my knife purchasing in response. I can honestly say that it is my only real vice; I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't hang out at the bar. Instead, I buy knives. I try to be understanding when she needs a new purse to keep the other 10 company.
It is true that a black handle just seems to blend in to the mix, where something like a Sage 3 would stand out as a new. You just have to make sure you get to the mailbox first.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Menace

Post by Menace »

hey, you know the saying..."my biggest fear is one of these days I'll die and my wife will sell my guns/knives/toys for what I told her I paid for them."
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

Yeah I never tell my GF what any of my knives cost, I just let her take a guess and agree with what she thinks it costs (because it's usually something like 20% of the actual value).
I don't get much hassle because I also sell/trade a lot of knives so in her mind I break even on everything...
Spyderco's owned: Worker, Police (9 different versions), Captain, ATR (2x), Endura, Tenacious, Gayle Bradley, Delica, Terzuola, Terzuola Jr., Ti Military, Lum Chinese (in Ti and black), Lum Tanto Ti, Lum Tanto sprint, ParaMedic PE, Manix I, Manix I sprint, Civilian, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Starmate, Navaja

Incoming : Manix I

Want: CF Police

Grail : Civilian PE
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

the very last thing i do is inform my wife on what i spend on knives or pretty much anything. i dont think she has a clue what ive spent on some of my more expensive knives, most recently the brkt b2 and zt before that, the ti sage and GB too, the only one i talked about much was the orange manix sprint i bought to resell. i have been leaning twords more expensive blades of late. But im the one working the overtime and feel i can treat myself now and then with a new knife so be it , dont need to invite chastising wife to go on a rant.. lol
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Guilty :o She has accused me of spending the family fortune on knives.
I just find a time when she is happy & slip it into the conversation. Like, I am getting a Poliwog. She says, "what is a polliwog" to which I answer, It's a Spydie. She says something like, "not again" or "why do you want that" to which I answer, It's a Spydie. :D
She :rolleyes: & goes on being happy. When it arrives in the post she just accepts it. :)
O.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My wife is happy I like collecting knives. I am happy she enjoys collecting perfume bottles. I have many more knives than she has perfume bottles, but I don't have any diamonds or similar bling like she does. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I am divorced and happy. :D

One of the best things I ever did, dump off the baggage and never look back. :cool:
cckw

Post by cckw »

Mine was looking at my collections of stuff and asked how rich she would be if I died...