Whats with Spyderco QC all over the place?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Purelite

Whats with Spyderco QC all over the place?

Post by Purelite »

As the title states

Whats with Spyderco quality fit/finish all over the place. I really like some of their designs but i am tired of the crap shoot . I know the fanboys are gonna say things like "stop buying them" or "maybe you should try another brand" but i really want to know from Spyderco whats the deal? I plunk down $160+ on a knife and I dont know what i am gonna get? I am not gonna get into whether they are worth it or not. Just the mere fact i can get better consistency from a Kmart knife begs a legitimate answer to the question. I only buy Made in the USA Spydercos. So is it like at the car production plants? If I get a knife thats made on a Monday I can expect a piece of crap? and if i get a knife made on friday i can expect issues but a knife put together on tuesdays will be spot on cause noone has a hangover at the shop? I dont want the usual responses from the blind i want a real honest to God answer from Spyderco here on the forums.

Why are your Made in Colorado knives all over the place ? Caracas that fail? Linerlocks all over the pace with early and late lockups? Lockbacks with slop? Blades with play? paramilitaries with slop and side to side play that is beyond adjustment? Enough with the *** kissing. What is the problem over there in CO? The cutting edge design excuse doesnt make the grade either . No matter what the design test it and make sure it works before selling the knife.

I log on here and everyday its the same thing "whats wrong with my Spyderco?" Do you test these knives at all before shipping them out. Is there any final QC inspection? and the "it's within spec "crap is getting old also . If such large variations are within spec then start lowering prices to match the specs. otherwise a $160 production knife should be DEAD ON RIGHT

Post by 1623 »

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Is this your experience or reading the forums? (My personal experience) I have 14 Spydercos, only one has slight blade play, a first production Para 1, several years old, but not enough to affect usability in the least. All 13 others are perfect, no slop, blade play, early or late lock up, and thats several different models and lock types.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Just a thought, but I find it a bit odd that you would go to a Spyderco-hosted forum and, in a post seething with negativity, berate them in public; and then, by means of prolepses' rebuke those forum members who might want to reply in defense of Spyderco. If in fact your question is genuine, then would it not be more appropriate to grasp a more thorough control over your hostility and just call "Golden" directly, or PM the man himself? :confused:
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

1623 wrote:Image
Yup !! Sit back & watch the fireworks !! :D

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Purelite

Post by Purelite »

Both actually. I have good ones and I have not so good ones. I buy 2 of the same knife and they are very different. One tight as a vault , the other as loose as a $10 whore. Or with various cosmetic blemishes and such which i understand does not affect performance but when you get over $100 you should not be seeing this type of variation. Now I know we will get 10 responses of those who have $500 knives with cosmetic flaws but does that really justify the issue? I cant imagine paying $500 and getting a product with flaws. i dont care who made the knife. I try ot to be anal about things like this but what the ****? I dont want to have to tweak the knife or adjust the stop pin or bend the **** scales.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Please, do not feed the troll
Attachments
please-do-not-feed-the-troll 2.jpg
please-do-not-feed-the-troll 2.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 8458 times
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Purelite

Post by Purelite »

I see where you are going SQSAR. And it would seem counterproductive yes? to go to the very place where these knives are worshipped sounds like a deathwish . My goal is not to incur the wrath of the Spyderco loving hoards. I myself cannot seem to break free of the brand . I love their designs which cant be found anywhere else. I do really like Spydies when i get a Good One.

My question in public is "why is the consistency all over the place with the CO knives? " If this question cannot be asked here and answered by someone at Spyderco then maybe all those who will sit on my head and squash my meager individual voice need to step back and rethink their actions. i dont want to start a war i just want an answer from someone THERE .
araneae

Post by araneae »

Why not cite some specific examples of knives you own that have a problem?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I love Spydies and keep buying them, but I too have noticed that in particular, the USA made ones seem to be hit and miss. The XHP Millie i got was exemplary, but the C20 Para 2 was just so so. My first run ti Millie seems really stiff to operate even after a couple months and has a rather uneven blade edge grind while my D2 Para (yes its older) might be tied with my S90V Para 2 the smoothest operating Spydies I own. I too would hope to see a little more uniformity. It's almost worth is if there is a model thats available, (not a sprint or limited production like the fluted ti Millie) to buy 3-4 and return or sell the "not quite right" examples.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
rycen

Post by rycen »

How many spyderco have you had?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Purelite

Post by Purelite »

I am not a troll dude . I just want answers. I work hard for my money and this is something important to me . i would like an answer from Spyderco. i dont get on here looking for responses to inflammatory statements while my mther yells ate me from upstairs to take out the garbage. i invest in Made In USA products I believe in and i dont think I am out of line in asking this question when I try to do my part to support businesses I believe in
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Purelite wrote: Or with various cosmetic blemishes and such which i understand does not affect performance but when you get over $100 you should not be seeing this type of variation. Now I know we will get 10 responses of those who have $500 knives with cosmetic flaws but does that really justify the issue? I cant imagine paying $500 and getting a product with flaws. .
My Mustang has a 1/4" gap between the door and back panel on the passenger side and it was well over $10:confused:
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

michaelm466 wrote:My Mustang has a 1/4" gap between the door and back panel on the passenger side and it was well over $10:confused:
Dude... you got a lemon!
Come Join Us Click Here
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

My advice would be, to ask the seller you're buying from to QC check the knife for you before the send it out (blade play, blade centering, grind, etc), I just had Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe check mine before he sent it out even though I've only had that one bad (by bad I mean very slight blade play) Spydie, and never read anybody have problems with the Gayle Bradley QC, but as a Just in case kind of thing, and will probably do that with the next Benchmade, ZT and Fallkniven I buy too.
Purelite

Post by Purelite »

Right now I have 2

I have owned in the past multiple enduras,Manix lockbacks ,Ayoob folders ,Natives,Militaries , ball locks ,ATRs,Mules and even that Swick model. I remember back 15 years ago owning the early Delicas and Enduras with the waffle pattern handles and thinking the spyderhole was the cats *** back then. i have owned many knives in between but always come back to Spyderco.

I dont want to have to prove myself to you guys really. I love Spydies also. I just want to know what is going on now? the prices keep going up but I see a declin in consistency that is disturbing . All I want to know is "why are they getting sloppy in Colorado? " Their Made in China line seems to be spot on .
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

cosmo7809 wrote:Dude... you got a lemon!
I know! it had 1/4" hairline scratch on the bumper too, I should have returned it!
scout

Post by scout »

If you send in your QC problem knives, maybe we can get you some answers.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Guys, I'm not trying to "toss oil on the flames", but aside from some blatant accusations in his tone, I do not really see a problem with the post. All he's asking is why is the quality of spyderco knives so varied? I don't think he came to the Spyderco forum to flame, but rather to ask a not-so-well stated question. Just my opinion of course.

Anyways, my endura does have some side to side, but since I can see the FRN flexing around, and if I fully tighten it there's no side to side, I do not attribute this problem to spyderco. Maybe it's just how the pivot is tightened? Like some knives aren't tightened as much, and that causes more play?

Also, from what I hear of Spyderco, their customer service is great. I suspect that someone will post here soon, and explain this problem better than any of us here can. And, if you are dissatisfied with the product, Spyderco knives do come with a warranty, so there's always a chance of that there.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

(Whats with Spyderco quality fit/finish all over the place. I really like some of their designs but i am tired of the crap shoot . I know the fanboys are gonna say things like "stop buying them" or "maybe you should try another brand" but i really want to know from Spyderco whats the deal? I plunk down $160+ on a knife and I dont know what i am gonna get? I am not gonna get into whether they are worth it or not. Just the mere fact i can get better consistency from a Kmart knife begs a legitimate answer to the question. I only buy Made in the USA Spydercos. So is it like at the car production plants? If I get a knife thats made on a Monday I can expect a piece of crap? and if i get a knife made on friday i can expect issues but a knife put together on tuesdays will be spot on cause noone has a hangover at the shop? I dont want the usual responses from the blind i want a real honest to God answer from Spyderco here on the forums.

Why are your Made in Colorado knives all over the place ? Caracas that fail? Linerlocks all over the pace with early and late lockups? Lockbacks with slop? Blades with play? paramilitaries with slop and side to side play that is beyond adjustment? Enough with the *** kissing. What is the problem over there in CO? The cutting edge design excuse doesnt make the grade either . No matter what the design test it and make sure it works before selling the knife.

I log on here and everyday its the same thing "whats wrong with my Spyderco?" Do you test these knives at all before shipping them out. Is there any final QC inspection? and the "it's within spec "crap is getting old also . If such large variations are within spec then start lowering prices to match the specs. otherwise a $160 production knife should be DEAD ON RIGHT)

Maybe your syntax could be chosen a bit more judiciously to get more constructive insights. Otherwise, you certainly run the risk of acquiring the unflattering label of 'troll,' even if this isn't your intent. Do you have a legitimate question? I'd say so. Did you go about phrasing it appropriately? I'd say not. If you've been on this forum as long as you seem to imply, you would know this.