Has anyone else had this Problem with/Para 2 all black

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buddy54ck

Has anyone else had this Problem with/Para 2 all black

Post by buddy54ck »

Hi, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!
I just recieved a NIB
Spyderco Para-Military2 Black Blade ~ C81GBK2 on Saturday, and I noticed right out of the box, the the compression lock sticks terribly. I don't know if
this is coating related or not, but I suspect it is. It is the only difference between the para 2's other than steel that I own. They are usually so smooth in operation, that they are a pleasure to use

This Knife looks so awesome, Yet it is killing Me that it sticks almost everytime,
and now it just sits!
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a fix that anyone knows about? Please let Me know, as I am Dying to put this into My rotation. As always, Thank You In Advance.
Charlie
:( :confused:

PLEASE READ POST # 22 for a follow-up, Thank You, Charlie
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Try loosening the screws on the stop pin and rotating it bit by bit. For each adjustment, try cycling it. If it works and you find a position that you like, loc-tite it down. Use blue loc-tite.
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

I have the same issue sometimes, I find that if you push the tab in with your finger more towards the tang it releases better. Other than that I think it just needs break in time.
"I'd rather get blown up than look stupid."
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Mine did not have this problem, however I did notice it wasn't as smooth as my father's camo/satin para 2, sorry to hear this, hope it gets better.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks

Post by 1623 »

My C81G2 Para had the same issue from day one.

Being my first Spyderco, I sent it in to Golden and it came back slick as can be. The blade drops right down, smooth as all get out when the lock is actuated and I've never had a problem since.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It'll either get smoother over time with use, or send it back in to Golden.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have the same problem with the Digicam/DLC. Sticks every time. None of my other Para 2's do this (smooth as butter). Must be something with the DLC. Hoping it will get better, if not I will send to Golden.
STWesterner

Post by STWesterner »

i've got the same problem, when unlocking it sticks hard; it's the CTS-20CP so it may not be the coating, doubt it.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Try loosening the screws on the stop pin and rotating it bit by bit. For each adjustment, try cycling it. If it works and you find a position that you like, loc-tite it down. Use blue loc-tite.
+1, , this has worked for me in the past.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Mine had this problem as well, it cleared up, came back, now it's cleared up again.

I wonder if the high hardness of the DLC coating may have something to do with it?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Easy fix.

Take a pencil and coat the blade tang where it contacts the lock.

A thick carpenters pencil works nicely but I'm sure any will do. The graphite in the pencil lead will usually make it silky smooth. It solved my sticky Para 2 (DLC blade too) lock and it has solved sticky liner lock issues with an Emerson in the past.

Hope it helps you.
justinrose40

Post by justinrose40 »

I have the Camo DLC Para 2, and mine did the same thing when I first got it. It didn't do it every time but I'd say 1/3 of the time. I set and played with it a couple afternoons while I watched t.v. and it cleared up, and hasn't done it at all since. Mine was simply needing broke in I guess. I'm sure there could be a problem with yours, but it just may need broke in good. At least that was the case with mine.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

buddy54ck wrote:Hi, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!
I just recieved a NIB
Spyderco Para-Military2 Black Blade ~ C81GBK2 on Saturday, and I noticed right out of the box, the the compression lock sticks terribly. I don't know if
this is coating related or not, but I suspect it is. It is the only difference between the para 2's other than steel that I own. They are usually so smooth in operation, that they are a pleasure to use

This Knife looks so awesome, Yet it is killing Me that it sticks almost everytime,
and now it just sits!
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a fix that anyone knows about? Please let Me know, as I am Dying to put this into My rotation. As always, Thank You In Advance.
Charlie
:( :confused:
+1 on a Para 2 Black on Black. Seems like an epidemic here. Any word from Spyderco and crew?
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

No issue with my Black on Black - the affliction appears random but also appears to show up on this version more than others. As suggested earlier in thread, I would contact Golden. Too sweet a knife for you not to enjoy it fully.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice tip on the graphite, I have heard this before and haven't had to use it yet. -
BAL

Post by BAL »

I picked up a Para Camo at Golden over the summer. They had a Carpenter Para that was smooth as silk to open and close. The Camo was very tough, but I wanted it at the time. I went ahead and bought it, and I opened and closed the thing over and over countless times at camp (we were on vacation). Anyway, after a while it was equally as smooth as the carpenter. Maybe try loosening the screws like Chuch suggested, and try the graphite trick like Jet said. Good luck.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

First run of Para2s all had this problem. You can always send it back to Spyderco to have them fix it. They are aware of the problem.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

I actually just received my Para 2 Blk Blade today, and the lock was sticking quite badly out of the box. I used a pencil on the tang like Jet B suggested and just opened and closed it for a while then repeated the process a few times, and it is now much better. There still is a slight hint of sticking, but I'm sure that will go away with further use.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jet B!
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

d.2.the.p wrote:I actually just received my Para 2 Blk Blade today, and the lock was sticking quite badly out of the box. I used a pencil on the tang like Jet B suggested and just opened and closed it for a while then repeated the process a few times, and it is now much better. There still is a slight hint of sticking, but I'm sure that will go away with further use.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jet B!
Glad to help. I got the tip when I had bought an Emerson with a sticky liner lock. It worked great with my Para 2. The tolerances must be really tight on the comp lock. Just keep coating that graphite on if it's still sticking.
Chris_Himself

Post by Chris_Himself »

My friend got one, it was smooth as butter, I got rid of mine for the sticking though
"Quality is not an accident. It's the result of focused intention, earnest effort, intelligent direction, and careful execution." - Front of the mid-year catalog