Correct pronunciation for Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
r small

Correct pronunciation for Delica

Post by r small »

Is it DEL-i-ca (accent on the first syllable) or del-I-ca (accent on the second syllable)?
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

The accent is on the first syllable, at least that's the only way I've heard it pronounced. Rhymes with Toyota "Celica".
r small

Post by r small »

Thanks. That's how I've heard it too. But the Delica's big brother the Endura has I think the accent on the second syllable (en-DUR-a).
BAL

Post by BAL »

Actually I say it D E L I C A, where I put the accent on all syllables and yell it as loud as I possibly can. :D You should se the looks I get when I am saying DELICA BLACK MOTHER OF PEARL SUNBURST INLAY. I don't think that most people know what I am talking about. :confused:
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

[CENTER]
The Mentaculous wrote:The accent is on the first syllable, at least that's the only way I've heard it pronounced. Rhymes with Toyota "Celica".

Actually Mitsubishi has a van called Delica :) (Delivery Car)[/CENTER]

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I suggest watching videos on youtube for pronunciations. I don't want to tell you how I was saying "choil" until I heard someone say it on a video.

Jack
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

It's spelled 'Raymond Luxury Yacht' but you pronounce it 'Throat-Warbler Mangrove.'
—Daniel Jackson
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

(FWIW, I pronounce both 'delica' and 'celica' with the emphasis on the long 'i', as in most latinate pronunciation.)
—Daniel Jackson
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I pronounce like delicate, but with a ca instead, and for Endura, like Endure, but with a A...
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

See, the problem with that justification is that you've taken away a syllable for one, but added a syllable for the other...
—Daniel Jackson
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Huh? I'm not trying to justify anything, that' just how I pronounce them. It sounded right at the time... :D
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Sorry, not implying a defunctionary thinkerator. Just sayin', the prevalent 'American' pronunciation of Delica/Celica doesn't make sense to me.

(Of course, the British pronouncerate all kinds of bizzare inflectations, so I don't have any bones to pick with new-world grammararians.)
—Daniel Jackson
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JacksonKnives wrote:Sorry, not implying a defunctionary thinkerator. Just sayin', the prevalent 'American' pronunciation of Delica/Celica doesn't make sense to me.

(Of course, the British pronouncerate all kinds of bizzare inflectations, so I don't have any bones to pick with new-world grammararians.)
The english language doesn't make sense to a lot of Americans either. Example: I am a "tough" man. Pronounced like, I am a "tuff" man. :confused:

You make pie crust out of "dough". Pronounced like, You make pie crust out of "doe". :confused:

The two words "tough" and "dough" are spelled the same except for the first letter and pronounced coupletely different from the second letter to the end of the word. From the first grade on I always heard the english language was one of the hardest to learn how to read, write and speak. I can see why. Try to explain the logic of my example to a small child. :eek:

Jack
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I was at a gun shop once, where someone said it like delicious - Del-ish-a. But they were completely unfamiliar with Spyderco and had never heard of a Delica.
:bug-red-white
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

jackknifeh wrote:The two words "tough" and "dough" are spelled the same except for the first letter and pronounced coupletely different from the second letter to the end of the word. From the first grade on I always heard the english language was one of the hardest to learn how to read, write and speak. I can see why. Try to explain the logic of my example to a small child. :eek:
Jack, you make the perfect example for the difficulties of English pronounciation. It's strange enough with regular vocabulary but don't even get me started on proper names like Arkansas or Nike :rolleyes: It's decidedly weird if you first encounter those things as a non-native speaker. But once you're over the initial confusion you ususally just take it as it is. Grammerwise English is very easy. Kinda makes up for the funky pronounciation ;) I've heard that with German it's the other way around. Lots of grammatical rules, gender, cases and whatnot but easy to pronounce and to write because it's more phonetic than English.

As for Delica and Endura: I've always pronounced it DEL-ica like the Toyota sports car and En-DU-ra because of the latin roots of the word. But I've also heard the latter pronounced as En-DJU-ra.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I always thought Endura and Delica are play on word of endurance and delicate, and should be pronounced as such.
Roan

Post by Roan »

Deli-ka
en-dewra

Thats my take on it.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.