Only one Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Only one Spyderco

Post by jackknifeh »

Does anyone have or know someone who has only one Spyderco and don't plan on getting another one? Or any knife for that matter I guess. I didn't get hooked on Spyderco actually. I got hooked on quality and ease of use and Spyderco is consistantly loaded with both.

I usually only had one pocket knife all my life. When I decided to break down and shop for a better quality knife I only wanted one. Then one more, etc. So I was curious as to how often does someone just get one knife or eat only one Lay's potato chip?

I figure I wouldn't see many posts from those people because if they only have one knife and are happy they wouldn't spend much time on any knife forums.

Jack
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I started with just one (Caly 3) and no intentions of buying more. But, then... it happened. It's been a year and a half... and, I'm at about 50 of them.
Waco

Post by Waco »

That was me for a while. If I had stayed off the forums, I'd probably still be happy to own one Endura and nothing else. I'm up to 3 now.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

racer88 wrote:I started with just one (Caly 3) and no intentions of buying more. But, then... it happened. It's been a year and a half... and, I'm at about 50 of them.
That's the normal story. Well, 50 may be slightly abnormal :) . I got up to close to 20 then sold some to get others that I think I would carry more often. Right now I'm at 10 but they are all users.

Jack
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I have 13 but I have a "favorite" and a few "specialties" for certain jobs/tasks. I think it's absurd to have only one Spyderco. Do you think Darth Maul had only one lightsaber ? I'm sure he had many. Spyderco 4 eva !!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't but i think if i had to get rid of all of them and only keep one, it would probably be the Para 2 that i kept.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I remember having one pocket knife for the longest time - it was a nice Case trapper, jigged bone scales. My Grandad gave it to me - I carried it every day from the late 60s until the mid 80s. Still have it actually.

In the mid-80s, I discovered Spydercos. I flirted with a few other brands over the years (e.g., Buck, Boker, Hubertus, Benchmade, Opinel), but kept coming back to my Spydies. There is something about them that balances form, function, fit, finish - and yes, art.

One of these days, I plan on passing my collection down to my kids. My littlest guy already has three Spydies of his own...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i always had one as an edc but things changed fast when i found this forum
racer88

Post by racer88 »

jackknifeh wrote:That's the normal story. Well, 50 may be slightly abnormal :) . I got up to close to 20 then sold some to get others that I think I would carry more often. Right now I'm at 10 but they are all users.

Jack
I consider all of mine "users." I just haven't gotten around to using them all. :o I wouldn't buy any that I would be afraid to use. I feel the same about my guns. If it's too nice to be used, then I won't buy it.

Abby? Abby who? Abby Normal. :D
juggler

Post by juggler »

I had only one Spyderco - a Centofante 3 - for a few years (actually, I also had a Jester. But small knives don't count, do they?).

Then I joined this forum...

Could I get by with only one knife again ? Probably.

Would I want to ? No.

Will I get more ? Yes.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Well... I'm at one.... one month so far though.... and if I can't explain which niche every knife fills I'm going to cut back... unfortunately, I'm a very persuasive person...
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

i had two knives that i carried with me for about 8 years, they were the crkt mk21-m14 and the mk 21-m12 models. about 8 months ago i figured it was time to look for another knife. i was not sure what i wanted, so i started watchind EDC videos on youtube. the two knife companies i saw that were the most carried were Spyderco and Benchmade. i then started watching knife videso only and it seemed to me that Spyderco knives were everywhere and that everyone loved them.
i figure i would give it a chance by ordering two ladybugs and a g10 dragonfly. i was completely blown away with how i was able to open, one handed, the ladybug and the dragaonfly. i was also very pleased with how the dragonfly looked and felt in my hands.
i then ordered the police 4 and the tenacious models and my joy continued. i told me wife that this was all i really needed and all my concerns for EDC'ing would be met with the dragonfly, police 4, and the tenacious. WELL not exactly, because i am a very happy and proud owner of 50 spyderco knives and well on my way to buying more. i also preach the spyderco gospel to any and all that will listen to me. i even let those, who i am trying to bring into the spyderco fold, hold my knives and play with it, so that they too can become spyderco owners. love them spydies!!!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

sorry, meant to say police 3
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

I have been a Spyderco user for Over 10 years. Over a year ago, I realized that I have quite a few knives (casual EDC, formal, car, and vacation) and now I want to get all the ones that I ever liked and wanted. I have most of them now (Only :spyder: BTW) and since, it has been divided into users and collectors which brought me close to 90. These little :spyder: "s are addictive. :D
cckw

Post by cckw »

My brother has an Endura. Doesn't understand why you would need another knife as long as you are keeping track of the one you have.
justinrose40

Post by justinrose40 »

I started out with just one, I bought a Tenacious to see what this Spyderco thing was all about, I carried it edc for a few months. I loved it, so then I was ready to try a more high-end Spyderco. I bought a Manix 2 and I just couldn't get over how smoothly the knife opened and closed and how sharp it was. I now have seven with my eye on a couple more. I would say the Tenacious got me hooked, but the Manix put me over the top.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did carry my Native for years and years without ever buying another knife but once i bought my first Delica it was downhill from there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

As crazy as it sounds, I kind of envy the folks that are one-knife people. I used to be one of those people, and right now I'm on my way to seriously thinning out the collection. I may never end up being a 1 knife person again, but I'll definitely end up being a 10 knife person at the maximum :D
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
LaoTzuMindFu

Post by LaoTzuMindFu »

Got my first Spyderco about a month ago - partially serrated Police model. Now, one month later, its 21 Spydercos and should be double or triple that by end of the year.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

My mum only has one Spyderco & isn't considering getting more. I gave her a Spyderco Dragonfly SS Tattoo for her birthday but it failed to turn her into a knife addict.. like me ;D
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder: