Only one Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Evil D wrote:I don't but i think if i had to get rid of all of them and only keep one, it would probably be the Para 2 that i kept.
+1 hence my name :)
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
BAL

Post by BAL »

I compare knives to shoes.
- I have numerous shoes for numerous reasons. I wouldn't wear dress shoes to jack hammer concrete or sandals to shovel snow or insulated snow shoes to go to the beach (well maybe once) or muddy work boots to a funeral.
- The same for knives, I have numerous knives for numerous reasons.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

StuntDouble wrote:As crazy as it sounds, I kind of envy the folks that are one-knife people. I used to be one of those people, and right now I'm on my way to seriously thinning out the collection. I may never end up being a 1 knife person again, but I'll definitely end up being a 10 knife person at the maximum :D
My Dad was a homicide detective/beat cop for 34 years and he carried one knife the entire time - Case Stockman. I have a hard time carrying the same knife for an entire day. Something is not right.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I was OK until I got a ZDP 189 Delica. Even then it would have been alright except for that M390 Mule. Now it's all about the steel and since Spyderco has taken the lead among factory producers in this area, I'm pretty much stuck. Millie CTS-XHP on the way. Millie M390 on order.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Spydies are like lays potato chips (hope thats the one) you can't just have 1.
about a month and a half ago I went to a local knife shop to pick out 1 good knife to use at work. Now I have an addiction and need to go to Spydie rehab :D along with my wife shaking her head at me everytime I pull one out.

In a month and a half; I have collected 12 or so spydies, have at least 5 on pre-order and have more going into the shopping carts. I also picked up 5 or so BM's.

I can tell you coming on this forum is definitely not rehab. When I first looked through the 2011 catalog, there were only a few knives that really interested me. Now from the forums; the knives that I never had an interest in are appealing enough that I started buying some of them too.

I do agree that you need at least a few for different tasks and/or rotation to give you a chance to clean/sharpen/modify others.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im considering stripping for spydie money. Yes its that bad.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Cheddarnut wrote:Im considering stripping for spydie money. Yes its that bad.
Hey Cheddarnut, why don't you post some pics and let us decide if this should be an alternative for you to make money. :eek: On second thought, maybe not.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only one Spyderco and no plans to buy another Spyderco, possibly. Nothing works for everyone and, as mentioned, those who receive that first one as a gift don't always "get the bug".

Only one knife, doubtful, at least for anyone not living under their parent's roof. I'd bet if you searched the home of even the most rabidly anti-knife person you'd turn up a bunch of kitchen knives, table knives, and probably at least a couple folders and/or specialized knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Cheddarnut wrote:Im considering stripping for spydie money. Yes its that bad.
If you joined the "Chippendales" would you be a Cheddardale or a Chippennut? :confused: Either way I'm pretty certain I wouldn't pay to see this :eek: :eek: : I think it might be better if you asked your wife or girlfriend to get a second job. :o Gotta say I've probably got it as bad as you. I've convinced myself that after my Blue Para 2, my cf Millie, my orange Dodo, my Southfork, my Brown Para 2, and my fluted ti Millie get delivered I'm finished..............it may be sooner if my wife beats me to the mailbox :D Thank God for tracking numbers. I wonder how difficult it would be to heat one of those dogloo's? This may very well become my new sleeping area. :o

"Some people say that there's a woman to blame, but I know...it's my Spyderco"
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

That's tough. Either my Navaja one of my manix2s either cts-PHP or m4.. Or quite possibly the ti-m4 mili :D
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I remember when I was small and watching the first episodes of MacGuyver, wanting a knife like that. It was many years later that I got a real SAK (there were many cheapo imitations before that which broke a soon as I got them). That SAK model was with me for many years, always true and reliable.

Then I became a cold steel fan and carried the American Lawman for about a year. Now I have a Para2 and a SB Caly3.5 with me almost every day. I can't imagine going back to a single pocket knife anymore. But if I ever do, it will be a Para2.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I'm a fixer, I'm always fixing things so I always carried my Swiss Army Cybertool for years but I always yearned for a better knife for cutting tasks. I always considered a benchmade because that was mostly what I saw locally, I had seen some spydercos but thought they looked a bit funny. Then one day this past year the Native FRN caught my eye and I fell in love and now I'm on my 6th Spydie! This is similar to what happened with flashlights, carried the same flashlight for years (Inova X1) thinking that it was the best out there and then I found out about Surefire :)
Inusuit

Post by Inusuit »

I've owned several Spydercos, but the only one I have now is an old Endura. I do carry it every day clipped inside my waistband. I rotate through 3-4 smaller knives in my pocket. The Native 5 with G10 scales is tempting me, however.
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

I've gotta go with the Military, just great for anything!! Just wish it had the tip up carry, but i cant have everything now can I.
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I hope I never have to live in a world with just one Spyderco.
But if I did I would have to choose my Manix 80mm. It is a little old school and it is a freakin tank buster.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I would have to go with my PM2 out of what I own so far
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I gave my best friend a FFG Delica for his birthday over a year ago and still has just the one. He has a few other cheap knives but just the one Spyderco. He loves it and thats all he carries but hasn't got another one. He always drools over my collection but says he already found the perfect knife.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
xc6w

Post by xc6w »

I am still with one and saving up for my next spydie.

My user zdp d4 cuts everything and I am happy so far. Nowadays I would just touch it up after some cutting and it is good to go, again. Quite a reliable steel.
First Spyderco - Delica 4
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

I gave away my first :spyder: to a good friend about a year ago. It was a Tenacious. I thought I would always be one of the one knife people, maybe 2 or 3 but definitely no more than that. Well after giving that knife away I tried many other companies and none came close to that Tenacious. Soon after that I bought a Delica FFG... And it was all downhill (uphill?) from there. I couldn't ever go back to being a one knife person again. I pretty much buy :spyder: exclusively now for a myriad of reasons. Nothing tops them in my book.

Back to my friend... He has since lost every screw in the pocket clip... Then lost the knife after he had abused it to crap and had it super dull... His only knife now is a $15 Browning that has horrible blade slop and rubs the liner that he has also neglected to the point of ruining the knife. I offer to at least clean it up for him it he doesn't care. There is also a standing offer that if he finds that Tenacious again (fairly confident it's in his apartment.... He might be the messiest person I know) I will buy it back from him, even if I have to buy a new Tenacious to do it... I think it would be nice to have my very first :spyder: back in my growing collection :D
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

BAL wrote:I only had one knife for a while, but that was when I was around 6, maybe 7. Then my Grandpa got me an "Old-Timer" and I have never looked back.
I was about to say the same thing! My Papa gave me an Old Timer when I was 7.. Carried that thing every day..even though I wasn't allowed to ;)
Sadly, while fishing on Lake Erie 5 yrs ago, it fell overboard..I was 27 and cried like a baby :( .. I still think about that knife.

Anyhow, that Old Timer started my 'addiction' to knives..I just loved having one/two in my pocket/s.. So, once I was 'old' enough to buy knives..eg: learned how to take advantage of the USPS and Catalogs :D , I bought tons of em..from all makers and all types.
In other words, I never have been..nor will be, a one knife person. It's just that now my one or two edcs are spydies..
Most of my buddies have tons of guns and very few knives..I'm the opposite.