Boye Dent Unpopular?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Infinite Zero

Boye Dent Unpopular?

Post by Infinite Zero »

Two new Spyderco models, the Chaparral and the Native5, are both lockbacks without the Boye dent feature. The exclusion of the dent in these models has been widely praised.

IIRC, the Boye dent exists to keep the lock button from being depressed while the handle is gripped tightly. Why is this feature unpopular? I never felt that it was a drawback on any of my Spydies that have it. That being said, I also have not had any unlocking issues with the Chaparral or Native5.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Yea...I like the Boyle dent. It's easier on the hands.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

Infinite Zero wrote:IIRC, the Boye dent exists to keep the lock button from being depressed while the handle is gripped tightly.
The lock button stays shut in all of my non - Boye dent knives, so its efficacy is questionable.

IMHO, it ruins what would otherwise be clean lines overall.
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Although I would say that I prefer the Boye Dent(not that I white knuckle my knives), when determining a knife purchase it would not change if the knife had a Boye Dent or not.
Come Join Us Click Here
mattman

Post by mattman »

I carry my Delica the most, and I like the Boye feature, as it allows me to locate the lock with my finger, without looking for it, or feeling around for it.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I don't really mind it. It makes it easier to find the lock depression area.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
angusW

Post by angusW »

I do like the look of both knives mentioned above with the non-Boye dent. I have a Chaparral on the way so I'll see if there is a big difference. Maybe it's just a phase that is happening at this time that people don't want the Boye dent. When it first showed up in Spyderco's I bet it was very popular.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I never felt that I need Boye Dent. For me esthetically a knife without it looks better. So I am really happy that Native5, which is one of my favorites, doen't have it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I dislike them for several reasons. First, as you noticed, accidental opening of midlocks with the dent is a non-issue for 99% of all users. I've never had a "dent free" midlock close accidentally, perhaps because I'm not a practitioner of any knife-fighting techniques which call for unconventional grips that "might" cause such a problem. It also seems odd to me that, if that's the primary reason for it, two of Spyderco's MBC rated midlocks, the Chinook and the Manx, did not had it. To me, that means that if the dent is ever actually needed, it's just a kludge to work around a poorly designed lock well.

Second, they're uncomfortable. I have a bit of arthritis in my hands and cuss every time one or more of those four pointy little corners irritates the joint in my thumb.

Also, because I find them to be ugly. I can't recall ever considering anything described as a dent to be attractive. It turns a fine looking horse into a swaybacked nag, and when one gets cut at an angle to the lockbar it takes ugly to another level.

Finally, because it's a lot easier to remove metal than to add it. It would be pretty easy for those who desires a Boye dent to add one, just a few minutes work with a grinding wheel. On the other hand, getting rid of one requires having a new lockbar fabricated.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

I prefer the Boyle dent. All my lockbacks have it except the Chaparral. Not that there is anything wrong with not having it. The dent is a nice feature. I can see why it wasn't used on the Chap. The relief for the lock is not round like on other lockbacks. So maybe that's why it wasn't used. Just guessing.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I find it to be a feature that is just not needed. And in some cases it does become a bit unattractive.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Needed or not, i do like that it gives me something to feel for when i'm closing the lock. When i feel the dip i know i'm on the lock. It's especially helpful when wearing gloves. I could probably get just as much use out of some file work jimping on the lock button.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

The Deacon wrote:I dislike them for several reasons. First, as you noticed, accidental opening of midlocks with the dent is a non-issue for 99% of all users. I've never had a "dent free" midlock close accidentally, perhaps because I'm not a practitioner of any knife-fighting techniques which call for unconventional grips that "might" cause such a problem. It also seems odd to me that, if that's the primary reason for it, two of Spyderco's MBC rated midlocks, the Chinook and the Manx, did not had it. To me, that means that if the dent is ever actually needed, it's just a kludge to work around a poorly designed lock well.

Second, they're uncomfortable. I have a bit of arthritis in my hands and cuss every time one or more of those four pointy little corners irritates the joint in my thumb.

Also, because I find them to be ugly. I can't recall ever considering anything described as a dent to be attractive. It turns a fine looking horse into a swaybacked nag, and when one gets cut at an angle to the lockbar it takes ugly to another level.

Finally, because it's a lot easier to remove metal than to add it. It would be pretty easy for those who desires a Boye dent to add one, just a few minutes work with a grinding wheel. On the other hand, getting rid of one requires having a new lockbar fabricated.
What Paul said. I grew up without a boyle dent on my delica 1 and I never felt that the lack of the dent negatively impacted the knife. Its also more satisfying to depress the lockback without a dent. I don't usually need a dent to show me where the lockback bar is.
r small

Post by r small »

I like the dent. I have an older model Delica with a straight lockback and the newer model (Delica 4) with the dent and the Delica 4 is a little easier to operate and a little easier on the thumb.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm actually a fan of the Boye dent. I've had an old Police without 'the dent' close on me during regular use. I think the Boye dent isn't a 'cure-all' for lock failures. However, if one of the other components in a lock is wearing down, then I think the Boye dent is an extra safety feature. The Police that failed on me was sent back to Golden. There it was determined that the spring failed and a replacement knife was sent to me. If the spring starts to fail, or the locking bar starts to wear, then it becomes easier to open the lock. A Boye dent helps to prevent unwanted closing in this situation. I also like the fact that I can find the button a little easier by touch in a 'dented' knife.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I like the dent ergonomically even if the safety issue is discounted. I wouldn't buy or not buy a knife based on it's presence.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
log man

Post by log man »

Simply, I like it.

LOG
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

No preference, but I do agree that it helps with locating the lock. Also totally agree with the fact its easier to find with gloves on. You could probably feel the non dent with your finger, but not with gloves. I agree it messes up the lines, but it doesnt bother me. After all, wasnt the out there style the thing that attracted us to spyderco in the first place?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sequimite wrote:I like the dent ergonomically even if the safety issue is discounted. I wouldn't buy or not buy a knife based on it's presence.
+1

I just looked at my users and they all have the dent. I didn't choose my knives for that reason and would never let the lack or inclusion of the Boye dent sway me from purchasing a knife I like.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MCM

Post by MCM »

While not being a huge mid/back lock fan, I like the "dent".
Carry a CF ZDP Stretch quite a bit and it helps me find the lock without looking.
On the older models I have, I would not change a thing.
But going forward I prefer the ugly dent. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......