Current list of USA made Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Karen

Current list of USA made Spydercos?

Post by Karen »

Well I survived another year of school, so I decided to buy myself a new Spyderco. I would like to support the workers in Colorado by buying one they made. I have not been on this site for a while and I am not current on anything related to knives.
So, is there a current list of knives made here in USA?
I am not trying to be political, I own knives made is Swiss, Germany, Japan, China, England, and so on. And I love all knives equally, no matter where they were born. :) I just want to have at least one 100% made in USA Spyderco.
I owned a beautiful Chinook at one time, but that was stolen. What a sad day that was.
I especially like vg10 steel. :)
Which Colorado made knife do you like best? :)
:spyder:
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Hi, the easiest way to find that list is to go to http://www.spyderco.com and list the knives by country of origin.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.ph ... d%20States

As for which I like the best, the Para 2 is at the top of my list, closely followed by the Manix 2. Unfortunately, VG-10, being a Japanese steel, won't appear in any US made knives.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks dsmegst. And you are right, S30V is the steel I meant, that is what I think my Chinook was. (but I could be wrong again) I don't know so much about steel. But the Chinook was wonderful. Hmmmm... now i have to get my knives out and find which is made of vg10.

The "country of origin" is a new option I didn't know about. (New to me)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

There were 43 chinooks made with VG-10 if I'm not mistaken. Those are very rare and very desirable from a collector POV. If you had a VG-10 'nook stolen, you have my sincere sympathies, Karen.
JD Spydo

VG-10 in a ChinooK????????

Post by JD Spydo »

Karen wrote:Well I survived another year of school, so I decided to buy myself a new Spyderco. I would like to support the workers in Colorado by buying one they made. I have not been on this site for a while and I am not current on anything related to knives.
So, is there a current list of knives made here in USA?
I am not trying to be political, I own knives made is Swiss, Germany, Japan, China, England, and so on. And I love all knives equally, no matter where they were born. :) I just want to have at least one 100% made in USA Spyderco.
I owned a beautiful Chinook at one time, but that was stolen. What a sad day that was.
I especially like vg10 steel. :)
Which Colorado made knife do you like best? :)
A Chinook with VG-10 Steel :confused: ? Every Chinook I ever owned had one of the Crucible steels in it i.e. 440V (S60V), S30V ect. And I've owned at least 4 of them including the Chinook III the longest which had S30V blade steel.

But hey I'm with you 1000% with your passion for USA, Golden Colorado made Spyders. They will always have a special place in my heart.

The only Golden Colorado made Spyder I ever owned that had a Japanese steel in it was the original Golden made Renegade model which had GIN-1.

Oh for the record the Chinook III was my fav out of all of them.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

I guess I'm wrong

Post by JD Spydo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:There were 43 chinooks made with VG-10 if I'm not mistaken. Those are very rare and very desirable from a collector POV. If you had a VG-10 'nook stolen, you have my sincere sympathies, Karen.
Hey I guess I learn something old everyday. Those had to be a show prototype of some sort. Because I had one of the original Chinook I models with S30V steel which is considered as rare as a hen's tooth or an honest politician or whatever. But this is the first I've heard of a VG-10 Chinook :confused:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hmm it seems I'm mistaken, there seem to be only 23 of these.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=1
Karen

Post by Karen »

Interesting. So I could be right, I was so certain the blade was vg10 on my Chinook. I really loved that knife. I used it hard on several occasions and it never rusted and it kept pretty sharp. When I held it in my hand, I could really feel the strength and quality in that knife.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I understand what your saying. I wanted a US spyderco too. I bought the Manix 2, which is an excellent knife. Its a bit on the heavy side, but it feels solid. And it has great balance in my opinion. I was just checking my others out last night and found that the balance on the manix 2 is best imo. The balance point is right where your index finger fits. My Military I just got yesterday is the same way. Compared to the delica and endura that I own where the balance is more towards the center of the whole knife, about where your middle finger is. Anyway, love my manix and love its ball bearing lock. Solid. I also own a UKPK which is also made in the USA. I believe the Native is USA made also.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Manix 2, Military or Para 2. Para 2 is my fav, but they are all amazing.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

That is the first time I've seen the Chinook's blade. Great hunting blade!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My favorite Golden :spyder: is the Spyderco Military, followed very closely by the Spyderco C95 Manix.

The RFP of my jeans is reserved primarily for my Golden :spyder: s. There are times my non-Golden :spyder: s EDC that pocket (such as my Spyderco Delica4 PE or my Spyderco Caly3 PE for a more discreet carry), and once in a great while another brand of USA-made knife gets an opportunity to EDC that pocket; however, the majority of the time it's a Golden :spyder: you find there.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bh49

Native5

Post by bh49 »

Do not forget new Native5. Amazing knife. My favorite Golden model.
I cannot wait for titanium variant.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Waco

Post by Waco »

I wanted something made in the USA and bought a Para 2. Great knife.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I vote Paramilitary 2 as well.

It's one of the best knives they make and it's made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The members of the military family are my favorites Golden models.

duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

According to spydercos site, the new junior is made in the US and has VG10 steel.. is this correct?
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

duvaldrummer wrote:According to spydercos site, the new junior is made in the US and has VG10 steel.. is this correct?
No, those lists seem to get a bit out of whack at times. The Junior is made in Japan. Just like the Bi-Fold is made in the USA, rather than Taiwan.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Karen

I loved my old Chinook, so... I will buy a new one. :)

Post by Karen »

Ok , I am going to buy a new Chinook. :)

Are they made with different steels now? Which one is the best?

No H1 yet probably? I like the idea of a knife never rusting. I need to learn more about steel. One of my weak subjects.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Chinook 3 was discontinued last year, so they may be hard to find (they're very pricey on eBay). As for blade steel, except for the extremely rare VG-10 version and the moderately rare 440V Chinook 1, I believe S30V was the only steel it came in.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com