Received Para-Military Sprint - larger than I expected, but a keeper!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wquiles

Received Para-Military Sprint - larger than I expected, but a keeper!

Post by wquiles »

I have not been active in the forum a lot and missed the Paramilitary Sprint run with the CTS-20CP when it first came out. But after reading several reviews and viewing several videos on the new lock as being good for lefties like myself, I decided to seek one out.

Besides being a very handsome knife in person, I was surprised as to the size of the knife, since this one is after all smaller than the military model. I am familiar with "big" knives in that my EDC is a large custom Sebenza, and prior to that I carried a large BM Presidio with custom scales (which replaced the ugly/harsh Al scales it comes with).

Although larger than I expected, the knife is surprisingly "light" for its size, and it makes for a great knife to carry, specially when compared to my other two larger EDC knives.

Here are the 3 knives I am comparing:

I stopped carrying the BM a long time ago, but it is a strong knife, with a great ambi-lock that works great for a lefty like me which is why I keep it around as a backup knife. The Sebenza has been a great EDC knife, is awesome looking, opens and closes very smoothly, locks like a bank's vault, and I hope to pass to my children. But the new para-military I am liking a lot - I am very surprised how well it fits in the hand. It locks well, it is in fact easy to unlock for a lefty, and being lighter than the other two, you just forget it is in your pocket.

The Sebenza has been my EDC until today, but I think I will let the Sebenza rest more from now on, as I am planning to carry the Para-military more often from now on :D

Will
Waco

Post by Waco »

Compared to most Spydercos, the handle of the Para seems big in comparison to the blade. I'm sure they had good ergonomic reasons for this. I've gone back and forth on my opinion of the Para. Some days I love it, some days I wish I had bought something else. I guess I just need to pick a different knife on those days when I'm not crazy about it. :D
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Yup, that is a good way to put it - the handles in the Para-Military 2 seem a 'tad' larger than I would have expected given the blade size. But the ergonomics are very good, at least in my large hands (I wear large size in gloves).
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome. The ergonomics on the Para2's handle are almost pefect and the blade size is great for almost anything you need, making it one of the best knives you can find anywhere. Congrats on the choice. You are right though in that it is still very light. The Military is quite a bit bigger than the Para2, but you will be happy with it as well.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I thought the Para 2 handle was too big in relation to the blade when I first got one as well. But after a few days, I got used to it and began to really appreciate the ergonomics. Now I think it is the best knife I've ever had in every respect. I do wonder whether they could have squeezed another 1/16 to 1/4 inch of blade in the same handle though. But the blade length is perfectly adequate as is. The big handle provides fantastic grip and many different options on how to hold it.

Edit: The big handle also allows for using the butt of it as a non lethal control or striking device.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The blade to handle ratio is a lot better on the Para 2 than the original Paramilitary. When i bought mine i was so close to getting a Military, but i can't stand how huge the handle is on them especially for only having 1/2 inch more blade than the Para 2, i think the handle is around an inch longer than the Para 2.

After using my Ladybug for the last couple days, when i pull out the Para 2 i'm reminded that it's far from a small knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dialex

Post by dialex »

There are three great knives you have there. However, I think the Paramillie is at least one level above in terms of engineering and ergonomics.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Spyderco makes some of the most ergonomic knives around. In contrast, I just got a military and I am surprised about how not big and how light it is. I thought it was going to feel alot bigger and be much heavier.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Of those 3, I have to agree that the PM-2 has the best ergonomics ;)

Regarding the PM-2 compared to the Military, at least for me, I don't see how I would ever get the Military model - that would be way too big in my hand. The PM-2 just fills great :)

Will