Police G10 or SS?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EricTheRed

Police G10 or SS?

Post by EricTheRed »

I've had my eye on the Police models for a while now but am hung up on the scales. I generally prefer knives that aren't so bulky in my pocket (thickness-wise).

And so what I'm hoping to have clarified is how much thicker the Police3 G10 versus the the Stainless Steel model.

Input from those that know as a matter-of-fact would be appreciated. And perhaps maybe even some comparison pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Police g10 is a very thin knife, I dont have a ss model to compare to though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Police is my favorite knife of all times. I have pretty much all the variations of Police and still can't decide which one is better for EDC. I carry SS PE for work, (just because few years ago there was no G-10) and have abused it plenty. SS looks very sleek, and is heavier. G-10 is more practical since it won't scratch that much in your pocket and is lighter than SS.
The solution is to get both :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

According to my vernier, the G-10 Police 3 is .383" thick and the SS Police is .296".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

DiKa wrote:G-10 is more practical since it won't scratch that much in your pocket and is lighter than SS. The solution is to get both :D
In agreement with the last statement, in particular.

G10 will make short work of your slacks and jeans, though :D
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
Roan

Post by Roan »

The police 3 G10 is one of the thinnest folding knives I own, only beaten by the FRN handled lockbacks . Much thinner than any Liner lock or compression lock knife.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.
JD Spydo

I think the older 1st generation is thicker

Post by JD Spydo »

Roan wrote:The police 3 G10 is one of the thinnest folding knives I own, only beaten by the FRN handled lockbacks . Much thinner than any Liner lock or compression lock knife.
I've yet to own one of the newer Police 3 models with a G-10 handle. However it is on my "gotta have" list and I will eventually own one ( Lord Willing :) )

I have handled them a couple of times at Gun shows and I do believe that the older ATS-55 model is a bit thicker than these newer models.

I always love the Police models. Even the stainless handled ones are great IMO. Definitely a true flagship Spyder :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Roan wrote:The police 3 G10 is one of the thinnest folding knives I own, only beaten by the FRN handled lockbacks . Much thinner than any Liner lock or compression lock knife.
What I find most interesting is that, with the exception of the Assist, all the Spyderco folders with blades over 2.5" that I measured were between slightly under 3/8" (.363) to slightly under 1/2" (.471) thick, a range of less than 1/8".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Waco

Post by Waco »

I've rather have the textured grip of G10 over slick SS.
Roan

Post by Roan »

The Deacon wrote:What I find most interesting is that, with the exception of the Assist, all the Spyderco folders with blades over 2.5" that I measured were between slightly under 3/8" (.363) to slightly under 1/2" (.471) thick, a range of less than 1/8".
It's deceptive without measuring it, In reality there is nothing in it, when handling them side by side it seems like an epic difference. Right now i'm comparing a Dragonfly(linerless lockback) to a Navaja(big fat bolstered linerlock) and without lining them up it seems like a huge diference, in reality it's probably only 2mm between them.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I have the G-10 in PE and the SS in Serrated. I much prefer the G-10.

Whether I'm working in the yard or working out, my hands are always dry and I find the SS slippery. On two separate occassions using the SS Police, I had to use a light sawing motion to get the serrated blade to cut thru thick cardboard. Both times, my hand slipped forward into the blade nearly slicing four fingers wide open. Thank goodness I was quick enought to drop the knife before incurring serious injury. After the second time I swore never to use SS for this kind of job again. That's when I bought the G-10 version which I really like. My SS version is buried at the bottom of some drawer.
Waco

Post by Waco »

I'm temped to try the police G10. Texas is friendly to long folding knives. I might was well go all out. :D
JD Spydo

The older G-10 Police???

Post by JD Spydo »

When the original older model ATS-55 Police was released with a G-10 handle back in the late 90s/early 2000s. It just completely behooves me as to why the original G-10 Police and the ATS-55 G-10 Harpy from that time period both flopped on the sales charts :confused:

This new G-10 Police is on my top 5 of my "gotta have" list and I highly recommend to all the newcomers and latecomers who are contemplating buying a Police model to definitely try the G-10 handled version. It's an incredible all purpose work knife as well as an outdoorsman's dream knife.

But I truly am perplexed why it flopped the first go around. Timing is everything I guess even when you got something good.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I think that g10 is a tremendous slicer and the SS is a very comfortable carry due to it s slimness :) both are great knives ! :spyder:
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Definitely G-10. The police3 G-10 has a new blade and 4 way clip. The SS is still the original pattern.
Waco

Post by Waco »

This thread is making me want a Police G-10.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Police is one of those knives that i prefer in stainless. It's thinner and just sexier IMO. I don't care for the Police 3 at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JLS

Post by JLS »

I've had the original stainless ones in the past, but never for long. They were very slick, a bit too much for my taste. Thr P3 is a great knife and comparatively very thin for a knife that big.

Spyderco does thin knives better than anyone else out there, IMO. Nearly everything else feels bulky in my pocket.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

G-10 + 4 way clip + jimping + choil = why I bought the Police 3
EricTheRed

Post by EricTheRed »

The Deacon wrote:According to my vernier, the G-10 Police 3 is .383" thick and the SS Police is .296".

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Thanks Deacon,

This is precisely what I was looking for. And even though my motto is "thinner is better" when it comes to knife handles (but not necessarily women ;) ), I think I could be comfortable with .383". It's still thinner than my FRN Endura (though neither of these are as thin as my SS Delica at .284").

However I still would have loved to have had it in SS, but after taking note from some other comments in this thread about the pocket clip placement on the older SS Police, I definitely need/want the deeper ride of the G10 version. At least when it's in what I think would be called the "tip-down carry". (is it called "tip-down" when the tip points down when folded?:confused :)